Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Firmware Version V2.5.1.8 looses SSID for 5G

RSpivey
Initiate

Router Firmware Version V2.5.1.8 looses SSID for 5G

After configuring for separate 2.4 and 5G ssid per instructions:
config set wla_ssid="nameOf5GNetwork"

config commit

reboot

The router does NOT keep the new ssid and separation of 2.4 and 5G logins for WIfi.  It looses the newly created 5G SSID.

I have tried this configuration about 4 or 5 times.  It only keeps the differentiation for about 1 minute and then reverts to the ONE SSID for both 2.4 and 5G

Seems to be a bug in the v2.5.1.8 firmware.  The previous firmware worked just fine with each individual SSID 

Does anyone have a remedy for this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

V2.5.1.8 has known issues

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using a single SSID name and PW. Separation of SSID on Orbi is not supported. NG seems to block this in FW. Downgrade if you need to.

v2.5.1.8 is stable and works will with single SSID name and pw. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@RSpivey wrote:

After configuring for separate 2.4 and 5G ssid per instructions:
config set wla_ssid="nameOf5GNetwork"

config commit

reboot

The router does NOT keep the new ssid and separation of 2.4 and 5G logins for WIfi.  It looses the newly created 5G SSID.

I have tried this configuration about 4 or 5 times.  It only keeps the differentiation for about 1 minute and then reverts to the ONE SSID for both 2.4 and 5G

Seems to be a bug in the v2.5.1.8 firmware.  The previous firmware worked just fine with each individual SSID 

Does anyone have a remedy for this?

Message 3 of 9
RSpivey
Initiate

I did downgrade to a previous version and the separation of SSID-s for 2.4 and 5g  is back after I re-configured the separation again .  There should not have been a change in this in the new firmware upgrade as there are multiple reasons for devices to differenciate between 2.4 and 5g repsectively.

Message 4 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@RSpivey wrote:

I did downgrade to a previous version and the separation of SSID-s for 2.4 and 5g  is back after I re-configured the separation again .  There should not have been a change in this in the new firmware upgrade as there are multiple reasons for devices to differenciate between 2.4 and 5g repsectively.

Stop doing manual updates

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't support separation of SSIDs so NG maybe stopping this back end use with stock FW going forward. It's up to you though. Keep whats loaded or try useing the system as it's designed with stock FW. 

You can also use Voxels 3rd party FW for Orbi. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1839...

Good Luck. 

@RSpivey wrote:

Message 6 of 9
mrshades
Guide

Check the thread on this:  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

You need to do an extra command on the new firmware, it's not as simple on the new firmware as NG go out of their way to set the SSIDs the same if you change them just using the old method.

Message 7 of 9
jwh49
Aspirant

Which is more important, having updated firmware to prevent hacksrs or separate SSIDs?!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi works with single SSID as well on old and new FW. Have never had a need to separate SSIDs. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7