Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router Shows Off-line; Satellite shows online

JR2018
Follower

Router Shows Off-line; Satellite shows online

I've recently moved and am connecting my Orbi router and satalite to my new modem.  In the Orbi app, my router shows as offline. The satellite shows as online. I am able to use the internet over the Orbi system (based on the name / password I set up prior to moving). And my speed test is excellent. 

But why does the router show as offline -- epsecially if the satellite is online?

Hardwarre: Orbi RBR50

Firmware: V2.3.5.30

The modem is an Xfinity modem installed this week. One of my cable boxes is wireless and connected through this modem. Otherwise, I want all of my devices and smart things in the house to connect to the Orbi system.

(re photo -- I have not yet conneced my second satellite; It's in a box xomewhere.)

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Built in router with the modem by chance? If so, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@JR2018 wrote:

In the Orbi app, my router shows as offline. The satellite shows as online. I am able to use the internet over the Orbi system (based on the name / password I set up prior to moving). And my speed test is excellent. 

But why does the router show as offline -- epsecially if the satellite is online?

As @FURRYe38 pointed out, having two router/WiFi systems often leads to problems.  If the cable box has a wireless connection to the Xfinity, then that appears to be what you have.  Many things will work fine, but there are specific situations which fail miserably with a "Double-NAT".

As for the lights, the "app" may mean different things.  For example, a satellite is "On Line" when it is connected to the router. (Green Dot).  So, what does a Magenta Dot mean in terms of the router?  It could mean that the router does not have a "public" connection to the Internet.  It is instead connected to a router which in turn is connected to the internet.  (Or, I could just be plain wrong.)

It might be useful to open a web browser and open the Orbi web interface.  When the Home screen comes up, click on the "Internet" square.  What IP address did the Orbi receive?  (This information is also shown on the Advanced Home Screen in the Internet Port square on the right.  Does the web interface show the internet connection as "Good" or have a Green check mark?

Another test is to do a "Trace Route" from a computer to some well-known internet address, such as 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS servers).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7