Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Solid Magenta Light with No Internet

TheBlair21
Tutor

Router Solid Magenta Light with No Internet

Hey, everyone

I am losing internet, and then I am finding a solid magenta light on my router only, no light on the satellite. I have the RBR850 (Orbi WIFI 6 with one satellite). My modem appears to be fine during all of this, all of the lights are functioning as normal. This is a new problem, happening frequently over the past few days. When I reset everything (powercycle the system) internet returns. So turning it off and back on works every time, but I am trying to figure out what the issue is so it doesn't keep happening. I appreciate all of your help!

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router Solid Magenta Light with No Internet

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Router Solid Magenta Light with No Internet

@TheBlair21 wrote:

Hey, everyone

I am losing internet, and then I am finding a solid magenta light on my router only, no light on the satellite.

No light on the satellite indicates that the connection between router and satellite is good.

https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean 

"No Internet" is difficult to diagnose because there are many aspects to having a "connection".  The next time this happens, can you perform a few tests before restarting the router:

• Open the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), log in ("admin" and password"), then click on the Advanced Tab and the blue "Show Statistics" box.  What does it show for the WAN port? (1000/Full or Disconnected?)
  • Click on "Connection Status". Does it show values for IP address, subnet mask, and gateway?
  • Do you have some way to "ping"? (Windows command window, smartphone app such as Fing or Network Tools)
    If so, try to ping ford.com.  Does this work?
    If that did not work, try to ping 136.2.49.37.
    If pinging by 'name' fails but pinging by actual IP address works, then the DNS process has failed.
  • If ping by IP address works, are you able to set your computer to use a specific DNS resolver?
    The 'normal' networking setup is for the computer to issue a request (DHCP) to be assigned an IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and to learn which DNS resolver to use. The Orbi says, "I am the gateway and I resolve DNS."  On most computers, there is a way in the Network settings to set your own DNS servers. (Control Panel, Network Settings, open ethernet or WiFi as appropriate, click on properties, then click IPv4 and click properties)  I suggest using 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8.
    Does this work?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7