Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router admin screen doesn't show same info as Orbi app

Brinch
Tutor

Router admin screen doesn't show same info as Orbi app

When I log into my Orbi router through a website, it says that there are no satellites connected and only 1 connected device, even though we have approximately 30 devices that are connected to the wifi. 

When I log into my Orbi app, it shows that 2 satellites are connected and the appropriate amount of connected devices, but they all show up as a printer or as a google home mini.

I unplugged and plugged back in the satellites until they showed a solid blue LED, so I'm assuming they are connected to the router. 

Anyone have ideas why this is? Which one should I trust? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Router admin screen doesn't show same info as Orbi app

It is on the "Top Support Articles" on that page, go to https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16 to download the zip files.  Extract the ZIP files, install the .img file on the satellites first, then on the router.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 23

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

orbi model number & firmware?

Message 2 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Whawt browser are you using? 

There is newer FW available:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16

@Brinch wrote:

When I log into my Orbi router through a website, it says that there are no satellites connected and only 1 connected device, even though we have approximately 30 devices that are connected to the wifi. 

When I log into my Orbi app, it shows that 2 satellites are connected and the appropriate amount of connected devices, but they all show up as a printer or as a google home mini.

I unplugged and plugged back in the satellites until they showed a solid blue LED, so I'm assuming they are connected to the router. 

Anyone have ideas why this is? Which one should I trust? 

Message 3 of 23
Brinch
Tutor

Router firmware 2.5.1.8

RBR50

Message 4 of 23
Brinch
Tutor

Size of home is about 2500 sq ft. 

One satellite is one floor above router. 

One satellite is about 15 yards away. 

Using Chrome 

Message 5 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Brinch wrote:

Router firmware 2.5.1.8

RBR50

that's your problem.....lots of problems.....revert back

Message 6 of 23
Brinch
Tutor

How do I revert back? 

Message 7 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you turn OFF the one RBS thats shows connected, Reboot the RBR and see if the other RBS appears? 

Is daisy chain enabled? If it is, disable it and reboot the RBR and turn on the RBS. Don't revet back. It's not a FW issue. 

Becareful reverting FW, 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-bricked-during-update-to-2-3-5-30/m-p/1897073/highl...

@Brinch wrote:

Size of home is about 2500 sq ft. 

One satellite is one floor above router. 

One satellite is about 15 yards away. 

Using Chrome 

Message 8 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Brinch wrote:

How do I revert back? 

go to download area....enter in your model number.....look for available firmwares

Message 9 of 23
Brinch
Tutor

Which firmware is best to revert to? Any favorites out there? 

Message 10 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Brinch wrote:

Which firmware is best to revert to? Any favorites out there? 

I've been on V2.3.5.30 since October 2019 with no problems

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I've been on v2.5.1.8 since December 2019.;..

Message 12 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

v2.5.1.8 has many folks with tons of problems, like the one in this OP.   stop being blind

Message 13 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

v2.5.1.16 was just released, it is supposed to fix the devices missing issue.  I suggest downloading it first to see if it fixes your issue with 2.5.1.8.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 14 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tomschmidt wrote:

v2.5.1.16 was just released, it is supposed to fix the devices missing issue.  I suggest downloading it first to see if it fixes your issue with 2.5.1.8.

perhaps a better idea is STOP with the manual updates altogether.  too many folks have created their own problems

Message 15 of 23
Brinch
Tutor

I don't see that firmware version on this page. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Can get the files here and manully install them:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16

Install the the RBS first then RBR lastly then factory reset the system and setup from scratch. I recommend adding the RBS 1 at a time while checking the RBRs web page for status as each get connected. 

Disable Daisy Chain on the RBR.

Message 17 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

It is on the "Top Support Articles" on that page, go to https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16 to download the zip files.  Extract the ZIP files, install the .img file on the satellites first, then on the router.

Message 18 of 23
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@Brinch, did v2.5.1.16 fix your device issue? Please let us know.  I am also running v2.5.1.16 since March 31 on my RBR50 and two RBS50 satellites (I was sent an early beta release to see if it fixed one of my open tickets for a different issue). For me, I have not seen missing devices with either v2.5.1.8 or v2.5.1.16, so I have not seen any change for my setup between those minor releases.  I use the Android app, I don't have any iOS devices to try its app.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 19 of 23
jhoff909
Apprentice

I had this issue and the new firmware (2.5.1.16) seems to have fixed it.  On the previous firmware, I would see different devices in the app and the web but both were completely wrong, online listed 2-3 devices (I have 30 or so) and never changed after a reboot.  Now I seem to be getting refreshed as they change.  The icons / reported device aren't correct but I believe the IPs and MAC addresses are.

Message 20 of 23
Brinch
Tutor

Yes, updating to the new firmware did fix my issue. I wish I never updated the firmware though in retrospect. I've had random issues with the Orbi since then, and it's causing me a lot of frustration for the amount of money I've invested into it. 

Message 21 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Brinch wrote:

I wish I never updated the firmware though in retrospect. I've had random issues with the Orbi since then, and it's causing me a lot of frustration for the amount of money I've invested into it. 

Nice observation....thanks for sharing!

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file now. 

Also if you have problems after FW updates happen or your manually update, be sure to factory reset the system and setup from scratch. This helps clear out any mis-configurations or incompatible configurations with the newer FW version. I prefer using the manual FW update method, make a backup, load FW then factory reset then setup from scratch. I can load the backup configuration from file and the system will works. If I run into problems, then I reset and don't load the back up configuration from file. I found that resets and setup from scratch is the best way to ensure the system is working well. There are other factors as well. 

@Brinch wrote:

Yes, updating to the new firmware did fix my issue. I wish I never updated the firmware though in retrospect. I've had random issues with the Orbi since then, and it's causing me a lot of frustration for the amount of money I've invested into it. 

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7