Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router and Orbi setup

richards10
Aspirant

Router and Orbi setup

I have a modem/router provided by my ISP. I bought the orbi in order to provide coverage to parts of my house that have poor Wi-Fi. I'm not sure how to set the orbi up to work in this manner. I hope that I haven't purchased the orbi, which will only function as a router but not also as an extender.

How do I set up the orbi so do that connects to the existing router and can be placed in a different part of my home to add WI fi coverage?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router and Orbi setup

Please post this here in the main Orbi forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

This forum is for the cable Orbi system

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@richards10 wrote:
I have a modem/router provided by my ISP. I bought the orbi in order to provide coverage to parts of my house that have poor Wi-Fi. I'm not sure how to set the orbi up to work in this manner. I hope that I haven't purchased the orbi, which will only function as a router but not also as an extender.

How do I set up the orbi so do that connects to the existing router and can be placed in a different part of my home to add WI fi coverage?

Message 3 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@richards10 wrote:

You just need to set the Orbi in AP mode, and get all router functionality from your ISP router. This can be set by going to >> Advanced >> Advaced Setup >> Router / AP Mode then select AP Mode. Please see below:

Untitled.png

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7