Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router blocks Netflix streaming, Sonos speakers in spotify and Hive

NandoCalrissian
Aspirant

Router blocks Netflix streaming, Sonos speakers in spotify and Hive

Hi all, i recently purchased an RBK40 and DM200 to use with my vodafone broadband. I use the DM200 in bridge mode and the RBR40 as the router. However, when i use this set up i cannot stream Neflix on any device (i have tried Sky Box and Chromeast) and my sonos speakers have dissappeared in Spotify (it does not recognise them on the network) but they work fine in their native app. I also have intermitent access to Hive, sometimes it blocks me sometimes it lets me adjust the heating/lights. When i plug the ISP (vodafone) router in and use ORBI in AP mode all these problems dissappear but the ISP router is slow and drops freuently. 

I have searched for a solution for each problem but nothing has fixed it (nat filtering, IPv6 setting etc) and i feel that they are all related, had these problems abd been able to fix these them?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

Ensuring you really have your DM200 it in bridge mode:  Please read this and double check: 

https://kb.netgear.com/30773/How-to-set-DM200-into-bridge-modem-only-mode

What is the RBK40's IP address?  Do other devices get issued private IP addresses by the RBK40?  (192.168.1.X?)

Is your satellite installed?  What is it's issued IP address?  

Are you using any special DNS or defaulting to your ISP?

Can you open a command prompt and do a tracert to netgear.com and post those results here?

I presume you have current firmware loaded in both router and satellite.. . what versions are they?

Message 2 of 18
NandoCalrissian
Aspirant

Hi chuck, thank you for getting back to me. 

DM200 definitely in bridge mode.

RBR40 IP us 192.168.1.1 and other devices get private IPs

Sattelite is installed with IP 192.168.1.4

i am using my ISPs DNS

Tracert below. All firmware is up to date. 

any ideas/ i have read a lot about DM200 bridge mode causing issues but do not know how to resolve them.

Capture.PNG

Message 3 of 18
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Try it with your Sonos speakers disabled. If that proves to be the issue, and your speakers were wired, try it with them wireless.

Message 4 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@JoeCymru wrote:

Try it with your Sonos speakers disabled. If that proves to be the issue, and your speakers were wired, try it with them wireless.

+1

Since you'e using Sonosnet I guess that you have wired speakers. How many wired Sonos speakers do you have?

@NandoCalrissian can you please copy and paste the tracert results as we can't see the attached picture until it's approved by a moderator 🙂

Message 5 of 18
NandoCalrissian
Aspirant

HI Joe and Ekhalil

text below. thanks. i will wire a speaker in but it worked with the old modem plugged back in with the orbi as an AP so there is something going on with the the DM200 or Orbi when in router mode.

C:\>tracert netgear.com

Tracing route to netgear.com [34.208.150.59]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.1.1
2 10 ms 9 ms 8 ms 
3 10 ms 10 ms 11 ms 63.130.104.194
4 10 ms 10 ms 9 ms ae13-600-xcr1.ltw.cw.net [195.2.23.77]
5 140 ms 140 ms 141 ms ae5-xcr1.slo.cw.net [195.2.24.33]
6 78 ms 79 ms 78 ms ae2-xcr1.nyh.cw.net [195.2.28.169]
7 144 ms 143 ms 143 ms xe-7-0-1-xcr1.pal.cw.net [195.2.25.133]
8 143 ms 142 ms 142 ms 52.95.216.76
9 144 ms 145 ms 144 ms 54.240.243.52
10 142 ms 142 ms 143 ms 54.240.243.61
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 163 ms 163 ms 161 ms 52.93.128.26
13 160 ms 160 ms 160 ms 54.239.44.1
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 178 ms 173 ms 163 ms 52.93.14.188
16 159 ms 159 ms 157 ms 52.93.14.179
17 174 ms 199 ms 167 ms 52.93.14.178
18 160 ms 159 ms 165 ms 52.93.14.201
19 160 ms 160 ms 160 ms 52.93.13.71
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Message 6 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

I think as well that your issue is with or before the DM200 and not your internal network.  All else appears to be correct -- especially since it worked with a different router. 

Have you contacted your ISP to see if your system is operating at 100% from their perspective?  It could be some improper settings on their end that are causing issues.  You said their hardware dropped frequently before you swapped equipment.  

Message 7 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@NandoCalrissian wrote:

......... i will wire a speaker in but it worked with the old modem plugged back in with the orbi as an AP so there is something going on with the the DM200 or Orbi when in router mode.

So you currently have no wired speakers?

PS. Please remove the IP address in the second line in the tracert printout above as this is your public IP address, if you can edit the post.

Message 8 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@NandoCalrissian What type of wired devices do you have connected to Orbi? Can you also confirm if any of the Sonos speakers are wired?

Message 9 of 18
NandoCalrissian
Aspirant

Thanks foe your help Ekhalil.

I have Hive Hub and Sonos Bridge wired to Orbi. 

I have tried attaching a one play 1 to Orbi but it resolves nothing. 

Message 10 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@NandoCalrissian wrote:

I have Hive Hub and Sonos Bridge wired to Orbi. 

I have tried attaching a one play 1 to Orbi but it resolves nothing. 

1. You should not have more than one wired Sonos speaker wired to Orbi, otherwise you will get loops. If you have the Bridge wired then please disconnect any other speakers.
  2. You DON'T seem to have double NAT which could have been a possible reason for the non-reachable services, so you're good here.
  3. Can you please try changing the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, and see if this will give any improvements. The DNS can be changed under >> ADVANCED >> Setup >> Internet Setup >>
Message 11 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

I was thinking the same thing about the DNS... I would go primary 8.8.8.8, secondary 8.8.4.4 and then the third whatever your ISP uses as primary.  

Then test to see if those services are reachable

Message 12 of 18
Chuck_M
Mentor

Message 13 of 18
NandoCalrissian
Aspirant

Thanks guys. The new DNS didnt resolve it either. 

Message 14 of 18
NandoCalrissian
Aspirant

I have plugged the old ISP router in again and all the problems are resolved. It is not a perfect solution but i will stick with it for now. THank you very much for your help.

Message 15 of 18
JonA33
Aspirant

Hi,

I have very similar issues to those described here, and have found this thread while searching for answers to the problem myself.  So, this clearly isn't an isolated situation and I'd be very keen for a solution.

My situation:

I also have VDSL supplied by Vodafone.  When I use my DM200 modem (modem-only mode) connected to my Netgear Nighthawk R7800 (router mode), my network functions correctly EXCEPT that I am unable to stream Netflix from my devices and also Hive barely works at all (I can occasionally turn lights on/off but the Hub generally shows as offline and I cannot remotely monitor the status of my Hive devices).

If I instead use the R7800 in AP mode only, with either the DM200 (modem+router mode) or the Vodafone-supplied router, then everything works without problem.

Although this latter setup will work for now, I would much prefer to use the R7800 as a router and not just an AP, as it is clearly superior to the Vodafone-supplied router.

Any help much appreciated!  (My tracert looks very similar to the above; I can post it if required)

Thanks,

Jon

Message 16 of 18
ekhalil
Master

It seems that the DM200 bridge mode does not work properly. I've seen many reports about this.

Have you checked that there is no software update for the DM200?

The problem is that the DM200 does not have a DMZ forwarding option, so you can't set it in modem/router mode and make a DMZ forwarding as an alternative.

Message 17 of 18
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @NandoCalrissian and @JonA33

Please check your inbox. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats