Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router can act as satelite?

saccpa
Initiate

Router can act as satelite?

Can RBR50 be used as a satellite when added to an existing RBK50 satellite system?

Can two separate RBK50 systems be used in a very large house exceeding 5,000 square feet?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
ekhalil
Master

RBR50 is a router and can't be used as a satellite.

Specifications for Orbi says that RBK50 (1 router + 1 satellite) should be enough for 5,000 sq ft coverage, and RBK53 (1 router + 2 satellites) is enogh for 7,500 sq ft.

So I guess that you should be fine with 1 RBK50 with an additional satellite from the other RBK50.

Message 2 of 7
TChristopher
Aspirant

Are we talking about setting an RBK50 as an access point? If so, then yes it can be done. You need to connect (via cable) your RBK50 to the RBK50 that's being used as the modem. Once connected you can go to orbilogin.com to finish the set-up. Advanced - Advanced Setup - Router/AP Mode

https://cl.ly/3c8e4009a2ba

Message 3 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@TChristopher wrote:

Are we talking about setting an RBK50 as an access point? If so, then yes it can be done. You need to connect (via cable) your RBK50 to the RBK50 that's being used as the modem. Once connected you can go to orbilogin.com to finish the set-up. Advanced - Advanced Setup - Router/AP Mode

https://cl.ly/3c8e4009a2ba

Setting the second Orbi package in AP mode together with the 1st Orbi will work, but you will not any longer be using a mesh wifi network when moving between the two systems. You will have normal roaming between the two systems, 

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

i.e. the Orbi that is in AP mode should have a different SSID than the primary Orbi?  I am trying to understand the implications of installing that second Orbi in AP mode.  One thing that seems pretty certain: those two Orbi's will not coordinate anything.  It will be up to the device that is moving around to decide, "Hey the signal from "ABC" seems to be getting weak, maybe I should disconnect from it and reconnect to "ABC"?????

Perhaps my lack of experience with WiFi "extenders" is the problem.  I went directly from a single WiFi to the Orbi mesh.

Message 5 of 7
saccpa
Initiate

Thanks everyone for the quick response!!!   Your swift feedback was quicker than I had expected, or would have even hoped for.  I know that what I really need is a couple of satellite units since my house is more than 5,000 square feet.  However, I was able to to purchase a used RBK50 unit that included both another router and a satellite, and I was hoping that I could turn the extra (second router) into a second satellite since I already have that unit (rather than have to buy another satellite to get full coverage).  It sounds like I need to do some research on AP mode.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction!!!  And, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond and lend a helping hand.   You definitely did not have to spend time trying to help a stranger on the Internet, but I am grateful that you did.  You are are the best!!!  THANK YOU!!!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@saccpa wrote:

Thanks everyone for the quick response!!!   Your swift feedback was quicker than I had expected, or would have even hoped for.  I know that what I really need is a couple of satellite units since my house is more than 5,000 square feet.  However, I was able to to purchase a used RBK50 unit that included both another router and a satellite, and I was hoping that I could turn the extra (second router) into a second satellite since I already have that unit (rather than have to buy another satellite to get full coverage).  It sounds like I need to do some research on AP mode.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction!!!  And, thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond and lend a helping hand.   You definitely did not have to spend time trying to help a stranger on the Internet, but I am grateful that you did.  You are are the best!!!  THANK YOU!!!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7