Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router capacity question

Daveystas
Follower

Router capacity question

I have an orbi rbr20 with two satelites in my home.....I feel like my internet speed has slowed down since I installed a wifi security alarm and have two kids with tons of devices using the bandwith....I want to upgrade my verizon internet connection to their max deal - 940 over 880 with 1GB speed, but not sure my orbi rbr20 can handle that. Looked everywhere on internet to get info about this but came up empty. Any advice on what to do? Is the internet speed really worth it? Do I need an new router? If I get a upgrade the orbi router can I still use the old satelites? Thanks so much in advance for any help....

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router capacity question

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Seen some having problems with 20 series Orbis on 1Gb ISP services. Seen some that they work fine. I know the 50 series seem to work better. You can use Orbi RBSs on other series Orbi. The RBRs don't work at all as RBS. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Router capacity question

@Daveystas wrote:

I feel like my internet speed has slowed down since I installed a wifi security alarm and have two kids with tons of devices using the bandwith....I want to upgrade my verizon internet connection to their max deal - 940 over 880 with 1GB speed, but not sure my orbi rbr20 can handle that

What is the current internet download speed?  If you currently have under 100mb, a speed increase will definitely improve performance.

If you already have 500mb, you probably will not notice any difference.

The WiFi security system is not likely to be using up much bandwidth unless there are a TON of cameras recording to the cloud all the time.

Kids with internet games and streaming video will definitely use up more capacity.

Is it possible to connect the satellites to the router with ethernet cable?

Is it possible to connect some of the "heavy users" to the router or satellite with ethernet rather than WiFi?

It is pretty sure bet that the "50" Orbi has more raw capacity to move data than the "20" series.  People do express concerns that the original Orbi design (initial FCC submission August, 2016) does not have the horsepower for modern gigabit connections.  That is one reason Netgear (and everybody else) are busy releasing routers with more processing capacity.  Once these new products mature, people with gigabit service will definitely see improvements.  Alas, "new products" get rushed into production to counter competitor threats before they are fully stable.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7