Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router doesnt recognize external USB hard drive

Rewai
Initiate

Router doesnt recognize external USB hard drive

I want to connect my Apple TV 4, to a USB hard drive attached to my Orbi. The physical connection is fine but getting the Apple TV to recognise it is another challenge.

I had it working brilliantly with my Airport Extreme, however getting the Apple TV apps, FileBrowserTV, VLC or MrMC to work seems impossible.

If anyone has found a solution I'd be grateful to hear.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
MarkC1024
Luminary

What I've read here so far is that the USB is not functional at this time.  Not sure if there are plans, or capabilities, for this in the future to be honest - I believe there would need to be firmware logic to serve the disks as a shareable device.

If you're looking to serve some storage, you may want to consider finding a device with ethernet connectivity.  Seagate and WD have several inexpensive options.   USB 2.0 is pretty slow and you'll get much better performance via ethernet

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
MarkC1024
Luminary

What I've read here so far is that the USB is not functional at this time.  Not sure if there are plans, or capabilities, for this in the future to be honest - I believe there would need to be firmware logic to serve the disks as a shareable device.

If you're looking to serve some storage, you may want to consider finding a device with ethernet connectivity.  Seagate and WD have several inexpensive options.   USB 2.0 is pretty slow and you'll get much better performance via ethernet

Message 2 of 3
Rewai
Initiate

Thanks very much Mark your reply is very helpful and saved me hours.

What a funny thing to release a product with a USB port and not supporting it! Weird.

Appreciate the pointer to the ethernet solutions.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7