Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router light stays Megenta--won't go out. Satellite is white or off

GDMACK
Star

Router light stays Megenta--won't go out. Satellite is white or off

I just switched my Router from Router mode to AP mode.  Now the light stays on Magenta all the time, even though the router and the satellite are functioning just fine.  What gives?  How can I make the Magenta light go away.  The latest firmware is installed.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

Great.  You are in AP mode.

Now... Move the Ethernet wire so it's connected between a LAN port on your Comcast modem and the Orbi router's Internet port.

Wait 30 seconds or so, and the magenta light should go out.

I just verified this on my own system.  Just do it and your problem will be solved.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

The light turns magenta when Orbi does not have a path to reach the Internet. Can you reach the Internet through Orbi now that it's in AP mode? Did you try power-cycling Orbi and your router?

Message 2 of 12
GDMACK
Star

I did try powering it down and back up again.  I unplugged it for 15 seconds and plugged it in again, but it came up Magenta and stayed that color.  Meanwhile it's WiFi output is strong and fast, and the Satellite is not magenta.  I powered everything down--computers, router, modem router, Orbi, then powered them all back up one at a time starting with the modem, and it did not change anything.

Message 3 of 12
st_shaw
Master

If it's all working you could ignore it, but I imagine the light is annoying.  Perhaps a reset would resolve the issue.  Shouldn't be hard to setup again from scratch if you are running in AP mode.

To reset you'd need to depress the reset button by inserting a paperclip into the tiny hole on the back of the router, next to the power input.  Hold it in for at least 30 seconds, until the power LED starts blinking amber.

Message 4 of 12
GDMACK
Star

All is working well, but yes the Magenta light is annoying.  Not sure I want to do a reset.  The Wizard assumes you are going to put the router into Router Mode, and won't proceed unless you have an ethernet cable plugged into the Internet port.

Message 5 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Well that could be your problem then.  In AP mode you are supposed to have a cable plugged into your Internet port! The other end should be plugged into a LAN port on your (non-Orbi) router. How is yours wired?  Wire it as I described and see if the light goes out.

Message 6 of 12
GDMACK
Star

Well if you have it in AP mode that doesn't work.  If I plug my ethernet cable from my modem router  into the Orbi internet plug, I wind up with a wireless system where my wireless printers can't be seen by my ethernet wired PC's on the same network, beause the Orbi issues a different set if IP addresses from the network centered around my cable modem.  If the plug to my Orbi plugs into an ethernet port on the Orbi instead of the internet port, the wireless printers attached to the Orbi can be seen on the network by my ethernet wired PC's.  Sounds like the Orbi is not really set up to function optimally in AP mode.

Message 7 of 12
st_shaw
Master

You need to double check your configuration and wiring because what you describe is not how Orbi operates in AP mode. If Orbi is set in AP mode, Orbi will not (cannot) issue IP addresses.  The DHCP server on Orbi is disabled in AP mode.

In AP mode, all IP addresses will be issued by your router.  Orbi is transparent, and all devices, both wired and wireless, will be able to see each other.

If you wire Orbi as I describe and Orbi is truly set in AP mode everything will work fine, and you will have no magenta light.

My Orbi is setup in AP mode behind another router, wired as I described, and all devices can see one another.

Message 8 of 12
GDMACK
Star

Well the Orbi is set in AP mode, the IP addresses are assigned by my Comcast Modem Router, and every device can see every device on the network whether wired or wireless.  When I tried setting the Orbi in Router mode, the only devices which could see each other were wireless devices on the network, NOT ethernet wired PC's or printers or scanners on the ethernet network.  

Message 9 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Great.  You are in AP mode.

Now... Move the Ethernet wire so it's connected between a LAN port on your Comcast modem and the Orbi router's Internet port.

Wait 30 seconds or so, and the magenta light should go out.

I just verified this on my own system.  Just do it and your problem will be solved.

Message 10 of 12
GDMACK
Star

Yes, that worked.  Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Great!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors