Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router location

Jarviss
Aspirant

Router location

I’ve a new orbi RBK30 and I’m getting low speeds. Vast majority of devices are connecting to satellite and not router. I’ve done all the 30ft stuff etc. I’m on latest firmware on both router and satellite.
My query is doesnthe router placement matter much. My tv is sitting atop a cabinet. The orbi is behind it but not inside the cabinet. Could this be causing an issue? Interfering or something? I have devices wired to it on shift cat5 cables so don’t have a huge amount of leeway.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Router location

@Jarviss wrote:
My query is doesnthe router placement matter much. My tv is sitting atop a cabinet. The orbi is behind it but not inside the cabinet. Could this be causing an issue? Interfering or something? I have devices wired to it on shift cat5 cables so don’t have a huge amount of leeway.

My goodness, yes.  Radio signals are attenuated dramatically by passing through metal (such as a TV).  If "shift" is a typo for "short", it is time to get on Amazon and purchase a handful of Amazon CAT6 patch cables.  They are really inexpensive.

Message 2 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

3 to 6 feet distance is recommended between electronic devices. Farthese distance as possible when it comes to WiFi. 

@Jarviss wrote:
I’ve a new orbi RBK30 and I’m getting low speeds. Vast majority of devices are connecting to satellite and not router. I’ve done all the 30ft stuff etc. I’m on latest firmware on both router and satellite.

Message 3 of 13
Jarviss
Aspirant

Thanks all.

I have repositioned it and it’s now 4 ft from anything. Clear of walls too. I still had speed issues. Did a live chat with Netgear last night. They had me change some things in router settings but ultimately I got cut off and it was too late to recommence.
The last alteration was to reduce the MTU number.
Still no difference. Nearly everything is defaulting to the further away satellite instead of the router and I’m getting 40ish on 5ghz WiFi connection to iPhone and about 35 feet from orbi router on the same flooor with no walls between the phone and router.
My isp speed is 240/24 and I get 220 when connected iPhone to orbi and about 6 feet apart.
This is actually worse that the isp provided virgin media hub 3. I thought I was buy a router that would allow faster speeds wotjought having to be sitting on the router.
Message 4 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

IF you have Virgin Hub 3 then you already have a wifi router infront of the Orbi system.

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Jarviss wrote:
Thanks all.

I have repositioned it and it’s now 4 ft from anything. Clear of walls too. I still had speed issues. Did a live chat with Netgear last night. They had me change some things in router settings but ultimately I got cut off and it was too late to recommence.
The last alteration was to reduce the MTU number.
Still no difference. Nearly everything is defaulting to the further away satellite instead of the router and I’m getting 40ish on 5ghz WiFi connection to iPhone and about 35 feet from orbi router on the same flooor with no walls between the phone and router.
My isp speed is 240/24 and I get 220 when connected iPhone to orbi and about 6 feet apart.
This is actually worse that the isp provided virgin media hub 3. I thought I was buy a router that would allow faster speeds wotjought having to be sitting on the router.

Message 5 of 13
Jarviss
Aspirant

I have the hub in modem only mode. The Ethernet port and the WiFi are all off and then Hub is then connected to the orbi.
This is the way it should be done yes?
Message 6 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Just checking on this. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 7 of 13
Jarviss
Aspirant

Ugh. Input the orbi in to AP mode and now nothing will connect. Can I access the settings without being on WiFi?
Message 8 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you can access the UI and make changes with a wired PC and web browser. 

Be sure you find the IP address of the RBR at the main host routers connected clients table. 

You may need to just power OFF everyting then back on. I commend powering ON the modem first, then Orbi, then client devices. You can still use same SSID and PW set on Orbi for your needs. 

Message 9 of 13
Jarviss
Aspirant

Can I just clarify. What’s the best way to setup?

Should I turn ap mode off again and re enable router node.
I have the isp router set to modemminly life and as much as I was having some issues I at least had internet.

I don’t understand your ‘double nat’ comment.
Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would set the ISP modem back to Router mode, disable ALL WiFi on the modem, then configure the Orbi RBR for AP mode would be best to keep this simplified. 

Message 11 of 13
Jarviss
Aspirant

OK. I seem to have had improvement in speeds etc. I’ll have to test over a longer period to be sure.

I have it working in AP mode.
A difference I notice is now in the orbi app the list of connected devices doesn’t have names any longer it all says ‘unknown’ ‘network’. Is this a side effect of AP mode?

Is there a list of features compared to router mode or pros and cons etc?
Message 12 of 13

@Jarviss wrote:

A difference I notice is now in the orbi app the list of connected devices doesn’t have names any longer it all says ‘unknown’ ‘network’. Is this a side effect of AP mode?

Which app and where are you looking?

In Device Manager my Android app shows everything on my network. Orbi also in AP mode.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7