Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router login issues

mgandolfo
Aspirant

Router login issues

I'm having trouble with logging into my Orbi router using the standard admin credentials that are on the unit.  Any help trouble shooting this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Router login issues

Default log in is admin and password. After that if you set it up for something different, you'll need to factory reset the RBR and walk thru the setup wizard and be sure to write down all important information for safe keeping later on. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@mgandolfo wrote:

I'm having trouble with logging into my Orbi router using the standard admin credentials that are on the unit. 

It is not clear (to me) which "logging in" is a problem:

1) When the Orbi is fresh, "out of the box", and has never been set up, the WiFi name (SSID) and password are what is printed on the label.  Users who have no device that will connect to one of the LAN ports (desktop, laptop, Mac or PC) have to connect to the Orbi WiFi using these credentials in order to access the Internet and also to set up the Orbi.  During the setup, most people decide to change the WiFi name and password to something else, but it is not necessary or required to do so.

2) Also, "out of the box", the default administrative user ID is "admin" and the default password is "password" (lower case).  During the setup, users are strongly urged to change the admin password to something a lot more difficult to guess.

After setup, of course, those default credentials no longer work, unless the router is "reset to factory" by stickinig a paperclip into the reset hole on the back and holding it until the amber light flashes constantly.

Which "login" is not working?

Message 3 of 6
mgandolfo
Aspirant

I am using the default credentials to login to my router and it fails.  My attempts are all from a wireless access point, so does it matter if I am wireless or hard wired into the router when logging in?

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and this time walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and web broswer. 

@mgandolfo wrote:

I am using the default credentials to login to my router and it fails.  My attempts are all from a wireless access point, so does it matter if I am wireless or hard wired into the router when logging in?

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@mgandolfo wrote:

@FURRYe38 and I are asking the same question: "Has this Orbi been configured, or not?"  Until it has been configured, or if it has been reset, then WiFi access will use the WiFi name and password on the label of the router.  Any satellites are not synced to the router until configuration, so it is impossible to log in to a satellite at first.

We tend to be really specific in terminology, so words like "default" and "wireless access point" have definite meanings.  For example, is this "wireless access point" a part of the Orbi system or something else?  What device is being used to log in (laptop, tablet, etc.)?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7