Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router not working after 3-23-21 update

simorame
Tutor

@vajim wrote:

@simorame wrote:

@vajim wrote:

ugh....if you don't NEED that ISP modem/router, get a replacement.  Lots of choices that work well with th Orbi.

Can you suggest any modem/router that would work well with Orbi? I'm on VDSL2  (Fiber to the cabinet)  technology. Unfortunately FTTH is not available yet in my area. 

Sorry....I use a straight up modem (Motorola).  You may want to check with your ISP and see if it's even possible.

I know it is possible and apparently  Fritzbox  modems are the most suggested. Of course, ISPs  tend to discourage that and they don't release much information, but there are tutorials available online and I should be able to get that working, as long as the modem specs are compatible with my connection.  For compatibility reasons, I was thinking about getting a Netgear modem, but I would  rather get a cheaper one if  I'm going to use Orbi in router mode.  The Orbi system is more than enough to fully cover my flat.

Message 26 of 29
tak1313
Luminary

Be careful about the modem - most isps have a list of 'approved' modems for their networks.  a few years ago, my modem got zapped in a storm and after researching, I picked up a Linksys modem that had great reviews.  The box SAID it was compatible with Xfinity (Comcast at the time).

After 3 straight days with them (Comcast), I just couldn't get it going.  They claimed they kept trying to provision the modem in the network, but it just wasn't taking.  Nobody bothered looking at their 'approved' list, not even the rep - but everybody knows how s*cky and incompentent Comcast reps can be...

After trying to find possible resolutions online, I came across the list on their website.  Lo and behold, that particular modem was not on the list (even though it stated so on the box).

Returned it to Wally World, picked up an Arris that was on the list, and no problem right away.

Message 27 of 29
simorame
Tutor

@tak1313 wrote:

Be careful about the modem - most isps have a list of 'approved' modems for their networks.  a few years ago, my modem got zapped in a storm and after researching, I picked up a Linksys modem that had great reviews.  The box SAID it was compatible with Xfinity (Comcast at the time).

After 3 straight days with them (Comcast), I just couldn't get it going.  They claimed they kept trying to provision the modem in the network, but it just wasn't taking.  Nobody bothered looking at their 'approved' list, not even the rep - but everybody knows how s*cky and incompentent Comcast reps can be...

After trying to find possible resolutions online, I came across the list on their website.  Lo and behold, that particular modem was not on the list (even though it stated so on the box).

Returned it to Wally World, picked up an Arris that was on the list, and no problem right away.

Yes, you are right about the modem. My ISP is listing all the specs (it is a very long and complex list) required from compatible modems because the law requires that, but  no actual model is listed (other ISPs list them  instead).

However, I'm not at that point (yet?). As I wrote earlier today, I have  reinstalled the Orbi system from scratch after a factory reset and put it in router mode.  It wasn't as straightforward as I hoped, but after a while I managed to get the Internet connection working and I moved all the wired devices from my ISP  modem/router to a switch connected to the Orbi router Ethernet port.

I haven't tested everything yet but so far almost  everything seems to work fine, except from my PS4 (it works, but the download speed is  halved from about 90 Mb to 45) and my network hard disks. They were mapped on my computers but now they show as "not available". I still  have to investigate both issues. Hopefully, for the hard disks I will only have to map them again. The PS4 speed drop might be caused by the switch I added to my network, although my desktop pc speed is roughly the same as before.

After the Orbi re-configuration, I haven't changed  any settings both on my ISP modem/router and my Orbi router.  I'd like to try and disable DHCP on my modem/router  or my Orbi router to see what happens.  Indeed, I'm not sure having DHCP active on both is a good thing.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 29
simorame
Tutor

Just a quick update to let you know that  switching the Orbi from AP mode to router mode went better than expected (so far, at least).

I had to struggle a bit to change my network drives   IP  addresses. Some had a static IP and I had to switch them to DHCP, but even the one which was already in DHCP needed to be restarted in order to have a  working IP address assigned  by the Orbi router. After that , the existing network drives mapping on my PCs  started working again  straight away.

The other good news is that the LAN managed directly by the Orbi  router seems to be quicker than the one managed by my ISP modem/router. The websites open almost immediately, whereas before  it could take a little bit more. Nothing extreme but definitely noticeable.

Today I also realized that my wifi connection is now reaching the roof of my building, which is two floors above my apartment, with a solid connection  and good speed (about 30 MB in download and 15 MB in upload compared to 95-100 MB in download and 20 in upload inside my flat). With my ISP modem/router managing my wifi  network  and the Orbi system in AP mode, my wifi connection never reached the roof.

As I mentioned yesterday, I also tried switching some settings  to see what happened.  Switching off DHCP on my ISP modem/router leaves my Orbi router without Internet connection, so it is not an option.  It should be possible to have  my ISP router operating only  as a modem, but I could not find clear instructions in order to do that.  As long  as the present configuration works fine I don't see the need to change it.

I also activated DMZ in my ISP modem/router settings and pointed it to my Orbi router IP address  (the one assigned to it  by my ISP router). I don't know if that was necessary , probably not, but it is not affecting  my  connection.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions  Smiley Happy

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7