Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router placement

Jb19
Initiate

Router placement

I just picked up the AC3000 two pack and gave everything setup. My router is on the second floor connected to my modem, the satellite is placed on the opposite side of the room on the first floor. I have a 300Mbps internet connection.

The satellite was placed in an area that allowed the led to be blue but I’m only getting a max of 130Mbps when I do speed tests in that room and even lower in an adjacent room.

Is there a way to move things around to actually get closer to the 300Mbps I have upstairs?
Message 1 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Re: Router placement

Actually, 130 Mbps is pretty good for WiFi.  What client are you using to test with?  I don't think you'll see wirless throughput at 300 Mbps or more unless you are using a fairly new 802.11ac client, with a 3x3 radio.  And, you will need to be within a few feet of the satellite in the same room to get those speeds.

With a brand new iPhone 7+ I can get about 460 Mbps throughput ~10 feet from the satellite. That's using an iperf test with 4 parallel streams to a laptop wired to the satellite.

Message 2 of 4
Jb19
Initiate

I am using the Speedtest app on an iPhone 7+. Even if ~10ft away from satellite or base router I’m getting the same thing.
Message 3 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Well, if you have an iPhone 7+ too, then you should be able to get better WiFi throughput, like I have.  However, my test was between the phone and a client wired to the satellite.  You are testing from your phone to the Internet, so there are more variables.

To locate your bottleneck and optimize your Orbi placement and network, I'd suggest downloading iperf3 for your phone and for desktop/laptops and test throughput on your LAN.  First test between wired clients on the same Orbi to establish a baseline.  You should get ~940 Mbps. Then test between wired clients on the router and sat to measure the backhaul. You should see between 400 and 600 Mbps. Once that's working, you can test between the phone and a wired client to measure WiFi throughput.

The App Store has an app called iPerf3 by Wei Zhao and that's what I'm using on the phone.

You might have nearby WiFi access points interfering and limiting your throughput.  If you haven't already, you should do a scan with inSSIDer or similar on a laptop or desktop and see what's out there on the same channels.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7