Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router ring shows purple on occasions

BillYoung
Luminary

Router ring shows purple on occasions

To all in the Orbi community:

My Orbi router shows purple on its ring from time to time; it stays that way for a while, but not for all that long.  No apparent loss of functionality when this occurs.  I'd like to know what this means.  Thanks to anyone for their responses.

FW:  2.1.4.16

Router is in router mode.

Any other information about the router needed, please ask.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

@BillYoung wrote:

My Orbi router shows purple on its ring from time to time; it stays that way for a while, but not for all that long.  No apparent loss of functionality when this occurs.  I'd like to know what this means.  Thanks to anyone for their responses.

Purple ring indicates the Orbi router lost contact with the Internet, even momentarily. Either your ISP-modem connection went down, or your Orbi router to modem connection went down.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 8
BillYoung
Luminary

FURRYe38:

In response to your questions:

What FW is currently loaded? 2.1.4.16 (stated in the original post)
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too? SMART/RG SR360n

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? approximately 1200 sq ft. 
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. approximately 40 ft.  building materials are plaster walls, wooden doors, and wooden doors with glass in between.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? auto channels on 2.4Ghz.  I will try setting non-auto channels for 2.4Ghz; channels 1, 6, and 11 are all in use by others; any other channels to use?  I set it to channel 3 which is not in use by anyone else.  channel 48 on 5Ghz  6 Wifi neighbors near by.

I hope I sufficiently answered all of your questions.  I eagerly await your response.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Regarding your ISP modem/router combo unit as this maybe one cause of the PINK led on the Orbi router:

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

Message 4 of 8
BillYoung
Luminary

FURRYe38:

I don't know if this helps you with a solution or not.  The modem/router combo unit is strictly set up as a modem.  I disabled all router capabilities on this unit when I first received it.

So I don;t know if this affects your response or not.  Please let me know.

Message 5 of 8
BillYoung
Luminary

DarrenM:

Do you have any answers for me?  What does the purple ring mean?  And how to I fix it, if necessary?

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, had to see what mode the modem was in. 

To check what the LED colors mean:

https://kb.netgear.com/000045868/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-Pro-devices-mean

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@BillYoung wrote:

Purple ring indicates the Orbi router lost contact with the Internet, even momentarily. Either your ISP-modem connection went down, or your Orbi router to modem connection went down.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7