Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router solid Magenta in AP Mode - Fix yet?

GTPprix
Star

Router solid Magenta in AP Mode - Fix yet?

So in the interest of not being "that guy" I've just read through basically every post I can find concerning this and still have no resolution that I can find.

I've got an Orbi Router in AP mode with the cable plugged into a network port (not WAN) and everything works just fine however I've got the solid magenta light on top. Is there any way to fix this IE suppress the light LOL 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 32
st_shaw
Master

Plug your cable into the Orbi WAN port and the light will go out.

Message 2 of 32
GTPprix
Star

That doesnt seem to work in my configuration, the Main Router(AP in my case) is plugged into a large Cisco switch not a cable modem. 

Message 3 of 32
st_shaw
Master

@GTPprix wrote:

That doesnt seem to work in my configuration, the Main Router(AP in my case) is plugged into a large Cisco switch not a cable modem. 

I don't know why that would matter.  The Orbi instructions say to connect to the Yellow Internet (WAN) port in AP mode.  My Orbi is in AP mode, and the Yellow Internet port is connected to a Ubiquiti switch, which is then connected to my router.

Maybe power-cycle things after moving the cable to the WAN port?

If you have to leave your cable connected to a LAN port, I read that you can connect anything to the Orbi WAN port and the light should go out, as long as a link is established.

Message 4 of 32
GTPprix
Star

I saw that and tested it with no joy, will give that a go again tonight and see if it actually works this time 🙂 

Message 5 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model # of the Cisco switch? Managed or un-managed type of switch? 

@GTPprixwrote:

I saw that and tested it with no joy, will give that a go again tonight and see if it actually works this time 🙂 

Message 6 of 32
GTPprix
Star

Its an SG300-P series managed 

Message 7 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

This could be the issue. Managed switched have additional features that maybe enabled or inhibiting full access. To test this, directly conenct the Orbi AP mode router to the main host router directly and see the LED remains or fully got out. If so, then something in the managed switch is keeping the Orbi router from fully connecting with data services with the main host router. 

Have a non managed switch to test with? A non managed switch is more like a dumb switch, just data all data to where it needs to go with out any filters or configurations. 

You might review any support information regarding your model switch to see if there is anything that can be disabled on this switch that would interfere with normal network traffic. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/switches/sg300-10-10-port-gigabit-managed-switch/model.html

@GTPprixwrote:

Its an SG300-P series managed 

Message 8 of 32
GTPprix
Star

Yup I've got a couple to test with just didnt see anything in the logging on the switch so kind of ruled it out (until today) thank you! 🙂 

Message 9 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it goes...

@GTPprixwrote:

Yup I've got a couple to test with just didnt see anything in the logging on the switch so kind of ruled it out (until today) thank you! 🙂 

Message 10 of 32
GTPprix
Star

Well that was uhh... interesting LOL Plugged into WAN and all of my satellites dropped off, tried delete/rsync etc only to realize when they WOULD resync they were somehow pulling DHCP from the Orbi Router (which is obviously in AP mode) as our scope here is 10.0.0.X and this was pulling the usual 192.168.1.X from the Orbi. Screw around with it trying to figure out how to make these things DHCP from my router to the point I just give up on Ethernet backhaul. I disconnected the physical network rebooted and all is working; just not the way I wanted LOL 🙂

Message 11 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Set it up with out doing any back haul first. Then connect one of those non managed switches to the system and try to connect just 1 satellite to this switch which should be connected to one of the LAN ports on the back of the orbi router.

This is how i have mine connected currently. I actually have two switches before my Satelllite.

@GTPprixwrote:

Well that was uhh... interesting LOL Plugged into WAN and all of my satellites dropped off, tried delete/rsync etc only to realize when they WOULD resync they were somehow pulling DHCP from the Orbi Router (which is obviously in AP mode) as our scope here is 10.0.0.X and this was pulling the usual 192.168.1.X from the Orbi. Screw around with it trying to figure out how to make these things DHCP from my router to the point I just give up on Ethernet backhaul. I disconnected the physical network rebooted and all is working; just not the way I wanted LOL 🙂

Message 12 of 32
Random12
Apprentice

I have this as well, WAN cable is not plugged (but Ethernet is), Orbi is in AP mode, everything works fine, but the magenta light is on. On the web UI (I think under firmware update) it says "Not connected to the internet". 

Message 13 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Another user mentioned that you can connect the WAN port to the main network while in AP mode. Give this a try. Hit reboot the system and then move the cable over to the WAN port then check.

@Random12wrote:

I have this as well, WAN cable is not plugged (but Ethernet is), Orbi is in AP mode, everything works fine, but the magenta light is on. On the web UI (I think under firmware update) it says "Not connected to the internet". 

Message 14 of 32
GTPprix
Star

This did indeed fix the magenta issue however it broke Ethernet backhaul in the process FYI 

Message 15 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

I'm wondering if back haul is supported in AP mode.

I haven't tried AP mode on mine. However LAN back haul works for me in router mode.

@GTPprixwrote:

This did indeed fix the magenta issue however it broke Ethernet backhaul in the process FYI 

Message 16 of 32
kolella
Apprentice

@GTPprixwrote:

What happens if you connect both ports simultaneously (WAN and LAN1) to your router/switch?

Message 17 of 32
Random12
Apprentice

Yes, plugging in the WAN port fixes it for me. If I plug in both the WAN and LAN ports it appears to be working OK, but I'm not using Ethernet backhaul.

Message 18 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if anyone is on the v2.0.x.x version of FW, ethernet backhail doesn't work right. IT's supposed to work on v2.1.x.x however we all know that version was pulled. 

I recommend waiting for the next official release as everything should be better then. You could call in to NG support and ask them if they have a beta that you can test. 

Message 19 of 32
GTPprix
Star

Yup I'm on 2.1.2.4 I think but definitely on the 2.1.x.x branch. I'll give them a call 🙂 

Message 20 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

@GTPprixwrote:

Yup I'm on 2.1.2.4 I think but definitely on the 2.1.x.x branch. I'll give them a call 🙂 

Message 21 of 32
swieder
Tutor

Just picked up an Orbi Systems (RBR40 and two RBS20s).  Its a finicky set up.  I had to factory reset once.  Running 2.1.4.16 software.  I am using the Orbi set up as APs with wired Backhauls on the satellites and a fixed IP address.

Had the Magenta Ring on my AP since it was connected to my network switch via a LAN port.  I read that the Internet WAN port become just another switch port when in AP mode. Wired backhauls did not work if the AP was connected via the WAN port. I plugged my PC ethernet port into the WAN port and the Magenta ring turned off.

I also had an issue with one of my Satellites in a "Config Sync" state.  I dettached the wired backhaul, let it sync via WiFi and than reattached the wire. The connected devices screen now shows everything as "Good"

My kits includes an RBR40 and two RBS20 which seems like a Best Buy special.  Will the AP run the same sofware as other RBRs?

Lastly, I read good things about the 2.2.x software.  How to I get on the Beta for the newest release?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 22 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

You have to connect the RBR WAN port to the other LAN source for the top LED to turn off when in AP mode.

ALL RBRs have there own FW based on model #s. 50s differ from 40 series and so on.

You can apply for the beta here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

@swieder wrote:

Just picked up an Orbi Systems (RBR40 and two RBS20s).  Its a finicky set up.  I had to factory reset once.  Running 2.1.4.16 software.  I am using the Orbi set up as APs with wired Backhauls on the satellites and a fixed IP address.

Had the Magenta Ring on my AP since it was connected to my network switch via a LAN port.  I read that the Internet WAN port become just another switch port when in AP mode. Wired backhauls did not work if the AP was connected via the WAN port. I plugged my PC ethernet port into the WAN port and the Magenta ring turned off.

I also had an issue with one of my Satellites in a "Config Sync" state.  I dettached the wired backhaul, let it sync via WiFi and than reattached the wire. The connected devices screen now shows everything as "Good"

My kits includes an RBR40 and two RBS20 which seems like a Best Buy special.  Will the AP run the same sofware as other RBRs?

Lastly, I read good things about the 2.2.x software.  How to I get on the Beta for the newest release?

Message 23 of 32
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

No fix yet. I have raised a case with Netgear support. However no response.

Message 24 of 32
swieder
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

You have to connect the RBR WAN port to the other LAN source for the top LED to turn off when in AP mode.

ALL RBRs have there own FW based on model #s. 50s differ from 40 series and so on.

Can anything be connected to the RBR WAN port?  If I connect the WAN port to my backbone switch than the Wired Backhaul connections stop working.  I tried putting a PC on the WAN port, but than one of my Satellite RBS20s dropped off.

These devices are very finicky!  Not sure I will be keeping them.  I have had the set up for 3 days and have lots of intermitent behaviour.

Overall are you happy with this product?

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7