Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router stopped working

Mitch_R
Guide

Router stopped working

I have an RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite. The router is connected to a Netgear CM1100 modem. I upgraded my Xfinity internet from 200Mbps to 300Mbps, and now the router won't recognize an internet connection.  Nothing else has changed.

Everything has been rebooted/refreshed/reconnected.  I restored the router to factory defaults and it still wouldn't find an internet connection.  Then, I restored it to the previous settings. I have the latest firmware, and the router has been working fine with Xfinitiy for over 3 years. It seems like it has to have something to do with the change in service.

I could desperately use some help.  I am not a computer person at all, but I can follow instructions if there is something I can do to get the router working again.

Thanks,

Mitch

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Mooose
Luminary

Do you have a laptop with an Ethernet port that you could connect directly to the modem to see if it gets a connection?

Message 2 of 10
Mikey94025
Hero

I have had some success calling 1-800-COMCAST and telling the automated system to send a reset signal to my modem.  This has helped when I've switched wireless routers or upgraded to new Comcast modem equipment, perhaps to clear out cached MAC addresses or something that block giving out WAN IP addresses for new equipment.

You can also do it via https://customer.xfinity.com/, Services... Internet... Manage Internet... Restart Modem.

Message 3 of 10
Mitch_R
Guide

Yes , it does work when my laptop is connected directly by ethernet (new Cat 6 cable) to the modem (but not when connected directly to the router). I could stream live tv; download speed seemed fine.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 10
Mitch_R
Guide

I was on the phone all day with comcast. I guess we'll pick up today where we left off. They did restarts and other things, I believe, on their end, but nothing worked.

I'm doing another restart now (I used the xfinity app to do it).

Message 5 of 10
Mitch_R
Guide

Well, the tenth restart was the charm (and I'm not exaggerating). Maybe something comcast did to the signal after my last call with them yesterday required one more restart. I'm at a loss. I spent 14 hours yesterday restarting the modem. I restarted it after I did a factory reset of the router - still nothing. But right now, the router is working again.
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you have LAG disabled on the CM modem. 

Connect the RBR to the CM using port #1 on the modem. 

Power OFF The modem and RBR for 30 seconds, then power on the CM modem first then the RBR. Either check the status on the RBR or run thru the setup wizard on the RBR to get the RBR connected. 

@Mitch_R wrote:
Well, the tenth restart was the charm (and I'm not exaggerating). Maybe something comcast did to the signal after my last call with them yesterday required one more restart. I'm at a loss. I spent 14 hours yesterday restarting the modem. I restarted it after I did a factory reset of the router - still nothing. But right now, the router is working again.

Message 7 of 10
Mitch_R
Guide

Is there a difference between port 1 and port 2. I believe it is on port 1, but I can't change it right now anyway with kids using the wifi for school.  The port aggregation is set as "disable" - I assume that's the same as "LAG".

Thanks for the comments.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Yes if it's disabled, thats good. 

IF it's working now then you should be good. Ive found it's best to power OFF the modem then back on instead of doing a reboot. 

Message 9 of 10
Mstrbig
Master

@Mitch_R wrote:

Is there a difference between port 1 and port 2. I believe it is on port 1, but I can't change it right now anyway with kids using the wifi for school.  The port aggregation is set as "disable" - I assume that's the same as "LAG".

Thanks for the comments.

no difference!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7