Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router vs AP mode

dangitzin
Aspirant

Router vs AP mode

Which is better?
I’m currently using router mode. Will AP mode still allow me to use the LAN ports on the satellites to connect my PCs and consoles? I’ve tried AP mode before but the ports stopped working. I was wondering if I just did something wrong. My satellites are connected through wireless backhaul.

Orbi is on .210 firmware. I have two RBS50 in .210 as well.
I have an Arris Gateway from my ISP, and had to do a little work around to have it bridged (but I also had to turned off a security feature to get it to work and I want to turn back on).

I don’t really have issues except a lot of buffering on YouTube on my iOS devices and sometimes lag/rubber banding during fast pace FPS games on console when there’s too many devices using up bandwidth or two consoles are online. Speeds are about 130 down/10 up. No issues with disconnects, just the lag is bothering me.
Would I benefit from AP mode and have my Gateway do all the routing again? And like stated above, can I still use the ports on the satellites to connect my PCs & consoles? If yes, how do I do that?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 29

Which is better?

Hard to tell. It depends on the circumstances and what you want to do with the thing. For example, this may be important to you:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You certainly need a router on your network.

You don't; say what the Arris Gateway is. I assume that it is a modem/router. If that is your router, the the Orbi is best put in AP mode.

You refer to a "security feature". That could mean anything.  Is it something that the Orbi also provides? Is it real? Or one of those sales pitches that hardware makers put on their boxes?

The simplest way to check if AP mode would do anything about "lags" would be to conduct your own experiment.

Message 2 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

The Arris Gateway is a modem/router I just can’t remember off the top of my head the model# and it does all the things that the Orbi does, and more. I can actually set which devices are take priority (low, med, high) like in normal NG routers.

As for the security feature, the gateway was provided by my ISP, they didn’t go over anything about the gateway. Just installed it and that was it. I’m thinking somewhere in the lines of ddos protection or firewall that I turned off. Just I’d have to log back in just to check.

I really want to just put Orbi to AP mode, but last I tried I couldn’t use the lan ports on the back of the satellites. Is that one of the things I lose putting it in AP mode?
Message 3 of 29

@dangitzin wrote:

I really want to just put Orbi to AP mode, but last I tried I couldn’t use the lan ports on the back of the satellites. Is that one of the things I lose putting it in AP mode?

No. I have an Orbi on AP mode. The LAN ports work just fine.

I’m thinking somewhere in the lines of ddos protection or firewall that I turned off.

Sound like the same as you get on the Orbi.

Message 4 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 5 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

I’ve already configured my gateway to run bridge because I was getting double NAT.

Thanks, but this wasn’t even near what I was asking.
Message 6 of 29

@dangitzin wrote:

Thanks, but this wasn’t even near what I was asking.

I confess that it was not clear to me exactly what you were asking.

My advice was to "suck it and see" and not get too carried away with details.

Have you tried that yet?

Message 7 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Reason for asking is to clairify what the modem configuration is. 

If the modem is in bridge mode, then you can definatly run the Orbi in Router mode which is preferred. If you had the modem in router mode, then you could either run the Orbi in Router or AP mode using option #2 or #3 as suggested. For you current configuration, router mode is needed for the Orbi. 

Message 8 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

So that means I’ll lose the ability to use lan ports on my satellites if I put it in AP mode?
Message 9 of 29
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dangitzin wrote:

>>  ...Speeds are about 130 down/10 up. No issues with disconnects, just the lag is bothering me...

Did you have this problem prior to Orbi?  If yes, then Orbi won't make it any worse in either Router or AP mode.  If the problem starts to show up with Orbi in the picture, then you might have a configuration issue to look into.

Putting the Orbi in AP mode will not disable your ethernet and WAN ports.

Just curious, when you put Orbi in AP mode, did you connect the old router to Orbi WAN or one of LAN ports?

Message 10 of 29
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dangitzin wrote:

>> Which is better?

It's the same hardware and firmware.  The difference boils down to CPU impact to handles additional features when it's in Router mode, i.e. Disney Circle, Armor, etc.,  Unless you plan to upgrade to 1Gbits and have 100s of clients, Router or AP mode won't make a difference because it's still under utilized with 130Mbps down.  One reason that you might want it in Router mode is that you need either Disney Circle or Armor features that's only available in Router mode.  Otherwise, AP mode is a safe and a better choice because it's simpler.

Message 11 of 29
randomousity
Luminary

I don't think there's a single answer here; it really depends on your preferences. You need a router on your network, and, ideally, any other routing-capable devices running in AP/bridge mode. So, if you think the ISP-provided modem/router has better features, use that as the router, and put the Orbi in AP mode. As others have said, if you want to use the Armor or Circle features on the Orbi, that requires using the Orbi in router mode, and the modem/router in bridge mode. Same if you want to be able to use the Orbi app for management.

The LAN ports on the Orbi router and satellite should work regardless, in both router and AP mode. There used to be an issue with the satellite attempting to establish a backhaul connection over ethernet when it powers on if there were any devices plugged into a satllite LAN port. I think that's been resolved, but I'm not sure. if you want to use the Orbi in AP mode, you could always try putting it in AP mode, and disconnect all the ethernet cables from the LAN ports until the router and satellite are fully booted up and synced. Then, once they're stable, connect any wired devices you want. You could also update to the latest firmware (2.3.1.44) and see if that resolves the LAN-ports-not-working-in-AP-mode issue you previously experienced.

Message 12 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@dangitzin wrote:
The Arris Gateway is a modem/router I just can’t remember off the top of my head the model# and it does all the things that the Orbi does, and more. I can actually set which devices are take priority (low, med, high) like in normal NG routers.

If you think that your ISP router has better router functionality than Orbi then please remove the bridging on the ISP router and set Orbi in AP Mode.

As others mentioned, there is NO reason for your Satellite's LAN ports NOT to work in AP Mode as in Router Mode.

Message 13 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

No issues prior to using the Orbi. I used to have a basic modem and a Nighthawk. Then switched to a cable "package" deal and they gave me a gateway. No issues with lag/buffering on either setup, just could reach the whole house ~3,000sq ft.

In AP I connected it into the WAN port, satellites are connected through wifi. Shoud have I connected the gateway to the LAN instead?

Message 14 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

@dangitzin wrote:
So that means I’ll lose the ability to use lan ports on my satellites if I put it in AP mode?

Message 15 of 29
ekhalil
Master

@dangitzin wrote:

In AP I connected it into the WAN port, satellites are connected through wifi. Shoud have I connected the gateway to the LAN instead?

You should connect it into the WAN port, but it will also work if you connect the ISP Router to the Orbi Router's LAN ports as well.

Message 16 of 29
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@dangitzin wrote:

>> No issues prior to using the Orbi...

Good to hear that you connected to WAN port.  FYI, as a hidden feature, port-1 of the Orbi Router can be mirrored to the WAN port.

Have you verified that the LAN ports are working in Router mode?  If not, then you might have HW issue.  Otherwise, you simply have a configuration issue that can be resolved.

Taking a page from @FURRYe38 ultimate suggestion:  Factory Reset the Orbi Router, which could be your best friend in this case. 

Message 17 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

The ports work in router mode. That's how I have it configured right now. I'll try AP mode again later on tonight when no one needs to use the internet. Hopefully I can get the LAN ports to work this time.

Message 18 of 29
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If LAN ports are working in R mode, you can try connecting PC & consoles directly to those ports and see if that resolves the new lags issue that's been bothering you.  You don't need to switch to AP mode for that.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 19 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

My systems are currently connected to the orbi satellites’ lan ports. I’m using a powerline adapter for my PS4 Pro which helps with the rubber banding when playing CoD. But whenever I try to connect the PS4 back to the Orbi satellite, the lag/rubber banding happens again. I find it really weird since when I speed test any of the systems, I will always get a faster speeds using the orbi but I get rubber banding with it.
Message 20 of 29
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

That implies the backhaul connection between R&S could be the culprit.  It might not be the bandwidth issue since it's working with powerline.  It could be latency issue.  Can you try connecting to Router's WiFi and ping www.google.com, then disconnect from the Router and connect to the Satellite and ping www.google.com?

These results will give you an idea of the delay (aka latency/lags) factors of the backhaul.

Message 21 of 29
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

>> But whenever I try to connect the PS4 back to the Orbi satellite...

This is connected to Satellite via wireless, right?

If yes, then the wireless backhaul isn't the issue.  It's the issue with PS4 WiFi & Satellite wireless connection.

Message 22 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

No, I’m using an Ethernet to connect to the satellite
Message 23 of 29
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

So that rules out backhaul issue and wireless issue.  That also rules out the LAN ports on Satellite issue since powerline works when connecting to the LAN port.

Are you using the same LAN cable that's used with the powerline or a different eithernet cable when connecting to the Satellite LAN port?  If it's different cables, try to use the same cable that works with powerline.  If you are using the same cable, make sure you connect PS4 to the same LAN port that was used by the powerline.

Message 24 of 29
dangitzin
Aspirant

It's the same cable. My powerline and this orbi satellite is are easily accessible. Also I've ping'ed google being connected to the RBR and then the RBS. Did about 5 times each and got roughly simliar results to this on both:

Pinging www.google.com [172.217.11.164] with 32 bytes of data
Reply from 172.217.11.164: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=252
Reply from 172.217.11.164: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=252
Reply from 172.217.11.164: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=252
Reply from 172.217.11.164: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=252

Ping statistics for 172.217.11.164:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 30ms

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats