Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Routerlogin.net certificate “not trusted” IoT devices (tv and others) cannot use WIFI

gearcommune
Aspirant

Routerlogin.net certificate “not trusted” IoT devices (tv and others) cannot use WIFI

This has been going on for months and have not found answers!!!  I have Orbi RBR50v2 and as devices are using the wifi there are times in the background it tries to connect routerlogin.net.  It won't connect because it is a self-signed certificate so it can't be trusted.  You do not have workarounds as you would with a browser by FORCE adding the certifcate to the your system.   Even on pc, devices that I could force the add certificate it only worked one day but still being rejected by security measures.

How to prevent the Orbi's from using their own dns via the Routerlogin.net (and there are others) or how can we get Netgear to go back to 3rd party signed certificate?

Message 1 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Routerlogin.net certificate “not trusted” IoT devices (tv and others) cannot use WIFI

@gearcommune wrote:

This has been going on for months and have not found answers!!!  I have Orbi RBR50v2 and as devices are using the wifi there are times in the background it tries to connect routerlogin.net.  It won't connect because it is a self-signed certificate so it can't be trusted.  ....

It will be really helpful to identify which devices are connecting to the router website. That is not typical behavior of IoT devices.  All of mine connect to the "cloud" to create links for their smartphone apps to reach them.

The post contains two issues (certificate and DNS). How are they related?

Message 2 of 22
gearcommune
Aspirant

Re: Routerlogin.net certificate “not trusted” IoT devices (tv and others) cannot use WIFI

your reply (which you often do) does answer anyone's questions and is just an opinion.  The response is useless in this forum.   We all love or Orbi or we wouldn't buy one.  Please respond with answers and not opinions on product value.

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Certificate doesn't relate or impact to wifi connections. Only the login page of the RBR. WPA security mode can effect connections. If your devices are having problems with connecint to wifi, you should contact the mfr of these devices for help and infomation regarding there products. Orbi only provides the platform for devices to connect to. 

Message 4 of 22
gearcommune
Aspirant

my devices are connecting to wifi no problem with other router (and wpa setup).  The devices are display are "untrusted" certificate error. my browser on windows pc allowed me to install the certificate.   It was working for a day.  My iphone did not alllow this.

I was not trying to use the orbi homepage at all.

Message 5 of 22
gearcommune
Aspirant

I agree with you are saying which is why I found the error strange (because it was happening while using wifi not accessing a particular web site).  I read somewhere that under certain conditions the Orbi will go to various netgear addresses one being routerlogin.net I am not sure.

For example when checking email on my iphone  I get the www.routerlogin.net certificate not trusted.  Certificate is valid from 1/8/21 to 1/6/31.   It lists multiple dnsnames on the certificate.  (like orbilogin.net, orbilogin.com, routerlogin.net etc..) but nowhere to accept it.

Sorry I did not say it before but thank you for your information.

Message 6 of 22
gearcommune
Aspirant

iphone - with outlook is telling me it can't verify server identity.  Click on Details  and says www.routerlogin.net not trusted.  AutoPlay to TV is not working on the orbi but if i swtich off the router to xfinity wifi it works fine.   Browser on laptop said invalid certificate but allowed me to install the certificate.   Talk to vendor of tv they said it is the orbi router problem talk to netgear.   Talk to Applie about apple devices problems they said orbi router certificate problem talk to netgear.  I haven't called Microsoft for windows yet but I assume they will say the same thing.

if I connect several public wifis (like hotels, workplaces etc..) never happens.  It is only when on Netgear Orbi and only after 1 year of owning the device with no problem at all.

What does DNS have to do Certificate?  Not sure, All I know is these devices are on Orbi wifi, have a different DNS address but yet for some reason, Orbi is going to routerlogin.net.

not one of the devices (or myself) are intentionally going to address.  It must be internal Orbi using its own DNS.

Message 7 of 22
Lyth
Guide

Do you have access control enabled?  I have the same problem randomly with a number of devices when access control is enabled even with their MAC's on the allowed list.  It's happening to my iPhone right now after factory resetting my router and starting over from scratch.  It will work fine one minute, then the next I'm getting the router page saying my device is blocked when I try to open a website and my outlook app starts complaining about the invalid certificate.  This is with firmware 2.6.1.40.  I've also had it with the latest firmware but much worse.  Several firmware releases ago I started to experience a lot of headaches with access control randomly blocking devices.  Not saying this is your problem but I would be curious to see if you've got it enabled.

Message 8 of 22
gearcommune
Aspirant

.Perfect timing.   I was just going to add tonight:

My vpn kept dropping and when off the vpn, if I tried to go to routerlogin.net it said this device’s access is locked.

However under my orbi login the device is there and allowed.  Why is it blocked

I had to turn off access control but yet my devices/ip/mac address all remained the same and could connect.

I never trying to go routerlogin.net.  i only did it because the certificate errors I was getting. I usually go to the exact ip address for the router.

I am not really sure what to do now because I don't like having the router open to any device.

Message 9 of 22
Lyth
Guide

It is an issue for me too.  The kids are smart and bypass the circles parental controls by changing their device's mac address.

Message 10 of 22
zipponet
Aspirant

I am having the exact same problem. I'm on FW V2.7.2.104. Seems like any of my wireless devices that connect to a SSL secured site is blocked. It happens randomly. 

I have turned off Orbi's "traffic metering" but it didn't make a difference. I am using access control and I also believe this is related to the problem. I really would hate to turn this off.

I hope someone can post a solution!

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 22
Lyth
Guide

I took a chance 2 weeks ago and updated to the latest firmware 2.7.3.22.  I have had access control on and working correctly since.  I hate to jinx it even saying this as sometimes I've had it work for a month, then decide to start blocking everything.

Message 12 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Try updating FW

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2113656/high...

@zipponet wrote:

I am having the exact same problem. I'm on FW V2.7.2.104. Seems like any of my wireless devices that connect to a SSL secured site is blocked. It happens randomly. 

I have turned off Orbi's "traffic metering" but it didn't make a difference. I am using access control and I also believe this is related to the problem. I really would hate to turn this off.

I hope someone can post a solution!

Thanks in advance!

Message 13 of 22
gearcommune
Aspirant

I have the same firmware version.  When I click check for updates it tells me it is updated.  It does not offer to update to version 2.7.3

Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBK50-53-Series-Firmware-Version-2-7-3-22/m-p/2113656/high...

@gearcommune wrote:

I have the same firmware version.  When I click check for updates it tells me it is updated.  It does not offer to update to version 2.7.3

Message 15 of 22
Lyth
Guide

@Lyth wrote:

I took a chance 2 weeks ago and updated to the latest firmware 2.7.3.22.  I have had access control on and working correctly since.  I hate to jinx it even saying this as sometimes I've had it work for a month, then decide to start blocking everything.

And sure enough today the router decided to block all devices again SMH

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Are you setting IP address reservations for devices, then enabling Access Controls? 

@Lyth wrote:

@Lyth wrote:

And sure enough today the router decided to block all devices again SMH

Message 17 of 22
Lyth
Guide

Yes, I started clean.  Like other firmware releases, it seems to work for a couple of months before it goes rogue.  I disabled access control after this happened and just this week the router crapped out.  Same thing happened to me more than once now.  Can't access the router, no internet access, and can't reset with the button on the router.  Had to TFTP the firmware to get it back up.  I've had this setup for at least 3 years and the first 2 years it worked flawlessly.  The more recent firmware releases have not been kind to my Orbi.

Message 18 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Downgrade back to what worked for you then. 

@Lyth wrote:

Yes, I started clean.  Like other firmware releases, it seems to work for a couple of months before it goes rogue.  I disabled access control after this happened and just this week the router crapped out.  Same thing happened to me more than once now.  Can't access the router, no internet access, and can't reset with the button on the router.  Had to TFTP the firmware to get it back up.  I've had this setup for at least 3 years and the first 2 years it worked flawlessly.  The more recent firmware releases have not been kind to my Orbi.

Message 19 of 22
roarty58
Guide

I have been having this same issue on my Orbi ever since I installed it. It seems to disappear on its own, but popped up again yesterday.  This appears to be a significant bug in the Orbi.  Mine is an RBR40 (which model never shows up in the lists of models) running V2.7.3.22.  It started up again yesterday when I turned on guest network.  

This time it blocked internet access on my iPhone (but other devices were fine).  

The error pops up on all devices, just not iOS as I saw suggested in another thread.  I get the error in iOS, iPadOS, macOS and Windows 10 (all kept up-to-date with releases).  And while the pop-up error message references "hotmail.com", the certificate it displays has to do with "routerlogin.net" which is Netgear's own.

I have also been using Armor with the Orbi and it does seem that turning Armor off often fixes the issue.

I have other Netgear routers (that I have opted to use when the error doesn't go away and never receive any sort of similar issue with non-Orbi routers).  

Message 20 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Others have posted that disabling Armor seems to work. Armor seem to cause historical problems here and there. 

@roarty58 wrote:

I have been having this same issue on my Orbi ever since I installed it. It seems to disappear on its own, but popped up again yesterday.  This appears to be a significant bug in the Orbi.  Mine is an RBR40 (which model never shows up in the lists of models) running V2.7.3.22.  It started up again yesterday when I turned on guest network.  

This time it blocked internet access on my iPhone (but other devices were fine).  

The error pops up on all devices, just not iOS as I saw suggested in another thread.  I get the error in iOS, iPadOS, macOS and Windows 10 (all kept up-to-date with releases).  And while the pop-up error message references "hotmail.com", the certificate it displays has to do with "routerlogin.net" which is Netgear's own.

I have also been using Armor with the Orbi and it does seem that turning Armor off often fixes the issue.

I have other Netgear routers (that I have opted to use when the error doesn't go away and never receive any sort of similar issue with non-Orbi routers).  

Message 21 of 22
roarty58
Guide

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, disabling Armor only temporarily resolved the issue.  Armor is disabled and the issue reappeared.  Orbi Access Control is disabled and "Private Address" turned off on my iPhone (both "solutions" I've seen suggeted).

Maybe time to find a more reliable router than something from Netgear.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7