Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SATTELITE DROP-OUT RBR50 FW2.1.1.16

RJA1971
Aspirant

SATTELITE DROP-OUT RBR50 FW2.1.1.16

SATTELITE DROP-OUT

I have the RBR50 router and three satellites. I have used the RBR50 ROUTER and AP modes.

In AP mode my ISP router modem is in MODEM mode with WiFi disabled, and stiil I have many drop-outs and with a few "no internet" notifications thrown-in.

The enviroment is a three story brickbuilt house, in which other NETGEAR products served better than this one.

This happens in both ROUTER and AP modes. I have the latest FW in all devices. I have walked miles trying new locations for the sattelites and a few more, trying to place the ORBI router in the 'best' place. Can anyone help? Do I sell up and buy Linsky or Google?

This is not defining itself as a great product so far and at £700 GBP it ought to be. HELP!!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
sfsdfd
Star

We (fellow Orbi users) are well aware of the issue. There's a 13-pages-and-counting thread in this same forum describing the mountain of problems we've experienced with 2.1.1.6 - including the same issue that you mentioned: all devices started connecting to the base unit, irrespective of proximity to any of the satellites.

After struggling with 2.1.1.6 for several frustrating days, I just rolled back my base unit and satellites to the previous stable firmware (2.0.0.74). So far, it seems to have restored connectivity to the satellites: the configuration page shows a pretty normal clustering of devices to the nearest unit.

As for selling out and switching to Google or another provider... it's certainly tempting after this latest update, and at least a few users have done so. I understand that firmware is a difficult task and mistakes happen, but Netgear's almost complete lack of response is extremely off-putting. I'm looking at Velop and some other systems as a replacement, while also waiting for Netgear's response to this incident.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
sfsdfd
Star

We (fellow Orbi users) are well aware of the issue. There's a 13-pages-and-counting thread in this same forum describing the mountain of problems we've experienced with 2.1.1.6 - including the same issue that you mentioned: all devices started connecting to the base unit, irrespective of proximity to any of the satellites.

After struggling with 2.1.1.6 for several frustrating days, I just rolled back my base unit and satellites to the previous stable firmware (2.0.0.74). So far, it seems to have restored connectivity to the satellites: the configuration page shows a pretty normal clustering of devices to the nearest unit.

As for selling out and switching to Google or another provider... it's certainly tempting after this latest update, and at least a few users have done so. I understand that firmware is a difficult task and mistakes happen, but Netgear's almost complete lack of response is extremely off-putting. I'm looking at Velop and some other systems as a replacement, while also waiting for Netgear's response to this incident.

Message 2 of 6
Stev3D
Luminary

If you do roll back, let me recommend you go with v2.0.0.76.  It is a "hot fix" beta update to 2.0.074 that addressed the KRACK issue (so your base-to-satellite communications can't be intercepted).  I can't tell you where to find it anymore, but I learned about it from another thread (so seach around here).  It is the version I've been using for a few months, and it has been very stable.

Message 3 of 6
tagteam
Virtuoso

Message 4 of 6
RJA1971
Aspirant

Many thanks. Sorry to be a pest, but when you buy something so well reviewed and hyped, you can be forgiven for thinking that it maught work.

Ill down-date tomorrow.

RJA

Message 5 of 6
RJA1971
Aspirant

It looks like this the way to go. Thank you for your contribution, I'll downdate tomorrow, and let you know.

RJA

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7