Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SIgnal not making it to out building

Kkonschak1
Follower

SIgnal not making it to out building

We purchased the Orbi hoping to solve our issue of not getting wifi in our newly constructed out-building. Our internet comes into the basement furnace/utility room. Is about 60 feet and a lower level away from our out-building. We have a satellite upstairs and about 50 feet from the outbuilding. We are still not getting wifi service to the building. There's JUST enough of a signal to kind of be able to do minor tasks, but watching live streaming tv or browsing Facebook is pretty much a lost cause. Would adding another satellite IN the out-building possibly help. I'm not overly familiar with these mesh-type systems so not sure if there's enough wifi signal for the satellite to do anything with it.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
st_shaw
Master

Orbi is not designed to provide a good wireless connection over a long linear distance.  Orbi is designed to provide good coverage over a large contiguous area by distributing a number of access points placed relatively close together.

To get good coverage in your outbuilding, what you need is: 1) to place a wireless acces point in the outbuilding, and 2) establish a good link between that access point and the main building where the Internet service is located.  The best solution is to run an Ethernet wire to the outbuilding.  If you cannot do that, there are wireless point-to-point products from Ubiquiti and Mikrotik that can be used instead of the wire.

That said, you might be able to get a usable signal in the outbuilding if you move your satellite near a window facing the outbuilding, and put a second satellite in the outbuilding, and enable the daisy-chain feature.  Or you could move your router near a window facing the outbuilding and place a satellite in the outbuilding.  I wouldn't expect either to work very well though.

Message 2 of 4
Laddingford
Aspirant

We have the Orbi RBK 50 and it works very well at home, using a satellite upstairs. We are having an office built at the end of the garden and I can put wired cabling to thhe building. I just don't know what to do next? I presume we will have a socket in the office but what to I need to extend our wifi out there. I really need specifics e.g. If I need a wireless access point, which one? And how do I connect to it? Do I buy another Orbi router and set it up as an access point? Also what do I need to connect the office to the wifi in the main house? Help! Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You would just need to buy another Orbi satellite and have the ethernet cable run from you main orbi router to the new satellite in the office and enable the Ethernet back haul function inside the orbi settings.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7