Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SONOS & ORBI : FW V1.5.0.12 - not working anymore

Masterbert
Aspirant

SONOS & ORBI : FW V1.5.0.12 - not working anymore

since FW 1.5.0.12 - my sonos system is constantly loosing its connection - tried different seups, the only setup which works at the moment is nr 4.

as soon as the SONOS players and the ORBI system are in the same network, something went wrong like disappearing SONOS player / sonos players are loosing their ip adress ( tested also with static adress, but with no success) - SONOS customer care team has checked the players and found out that a heavy multicast traffic is causing the bridge disconnects and suggested to separate both.

but before that FW update, the system was set up like nr 1 and was working!

setup:

1.modem (AVM fritzbox, WLan disabled) --> Orbi (Router mode)--> SONOS Bridge via ethernet

2.modem (AVM fritzbox, WLan disabled) --> Orbi ( AP mode) --> SONOS Bridge via ethernet

3.Modem (AVM fritzbox, WLan disabled) --> SONOS Bridge via ethernet port 1 & Orbi ( AC mode) via ethnernet port 2 of the modem

4.Modem (AVM fritzbox, WLan disabled) --> SONOS Bridge via ethernet port 1 & Orbi ( Router mode) via ethnernet port 2 of the modem

main issue with setup 4 - the SONOS brigde gets an IP from the modem´s DHCP while all other computers/tablets connecting wirelessly to the ORBIs other DHCP range --> resulting : the android controller is not seeing the SONOS players ( any suggestion like static routing ?)

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

I think any of those connection scenarios should work.  Could be moving the bridge farther away from Orbi that solved it.  Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

I have been running with your mode 3 for quite some time with no issues.

Modem-->3rd Party Router-->Sonos Bridge 1 on Router Ethernet Port 1

-->Orbi in AP mode on Router Ethernet Port 2-->Orbi Satellite via Orbi Backhaul-->wired devices

-->Sonos Bridge 2 via Sonosnet-->wired printer, and other devices

Make sure of the following:

1) Your single bridge is the ONLY sonos device wired to Ethernet. Every other Sonos device must be disconnected from Ethernet.

2) Sonos is set to "boost" mode in the controller, NOT WiFi mode.

3) You set Orbi to use channel 1 on 2.4 GHz

4) You set Sonos to use channel 11 in the Sonos controller app.

5) You have some pyhsical separation between the Orbi and the Sonos bridge.

If you have any managed switches using Spanning Tree Protocol this can cause issues too.

Orbi has a powerful radio.  I have seen it interfere with a nearby Sonos device if the channels are not separated (1 and 11).  I have also seen Orbi kill another nearby WiFi access point, even though it was on a distinct 2.4 GHz WiFi channel.

Message 2 of 5
Masterbert
Aspirant

thanks for your feedback and suggestion!!

but as written above , my origin setup was ORBI (Router mode) connected to modem. SONOS bridge connected to ORBI directly --> and it was working until the new FW update, as the first issues came up, i ve changed my setup to nearly the same as your : modem ( in router mode with active DHCP) , ORBI ( AP mode) connected to port 1 and SONOS bridge connected to port 2  - but this was also not working - therefore i ve deceided to set the ORBI to router mode to get both networks separated . ( btw. SONOS and Orbi were already set to operate at channel 1 and 11 , and no other network switch is spanning trees 😉  and no other wlan interferences were detected neither by SONOS support nor by scanning the WLAN by myself)

but anyway - i made a full reset of both orbis and set them up as suggested, with ORBI in AP mode --> and its working at the moment .

the only change i made : i ve moved the SONOS bridge from close to the orbi to 1meter away.

lets see how long it is working ( as described this setup was working before....)

Message 3 of 5
st_shaw
Master

I think any of those connection scenarios should work.  Could be moving the bridge farther away from Orbi that solved it.  Good luck.  Let us know how it turns out.

Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

Is anyone still having sonos issues on the latest firmware 1.8.0.6 if so let me know so we can work with you on these issues.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7