Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SSID Intermittently Disappearing

MelvinV
Aspirant

SSID Intermittently Disappearing

Hi, I just bought an Orbi RBR20 with 2 Satelites (only using 1). I have 1Gig with Verizon Fios>pfSense router >Unifi switch>Orbi. My Orbi is in AP mode. This problem was occuring on firmware 2.3.5.30 and I've updated the firmware to 2.5.1.16. I have factory reset it after the FW upgrade. 

Both SSIDs just disapear from time to time and they come back. It could work for an hour or 15 minutes.

Not sure what to do or what other information to provide. Please let me know if you can offer any advise.

Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
MelvinV
Aspirant

Re: SSID Intermittently Disappearing

Connecting directly to the modem did not resolve the issue. After further investigation I realized that the router device was actually losing its Internet connection. I went out and purchased a new device in so far so good with all the default settings. Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@MelvinV wrote:

Hi, I just bought an Orbi RBR20 with 2 Satelites (only using 1). I have 1Gig with Verizon Fios>pfSense router >Unifi switch>Orbi. My Orbi is in AP mode. This problem was occuring on firmware 2.3.5.30 and I've updated the firmware to 2.5.1.16. I have factory reset it after the FW upgrade. 

Both SSIDs just disapear from time to time and they come back. It could work for an hour or 15 minutes.

So both router and satellite are on 2.5.1.16? And you reset both the router and satellite?

Do you have any other WIFI system broadcasting close by? You can use NetSpot to see what channel other neighbors are on and move your WIFI to another channel less used.

Message 2 of 9
MelvinV
Aspirant

So both router and satellite are on 2.5.1.16? YES
And you reset both the router and satellite? YES

Do you have any other WIFI system broadcasting close by? YES

You can use NetSpot to see what channel other neighbors are on and move your WIFI to another channel less used. Done. 

Will monitor and report back.

Message 3 of 9
MelvinV
Aspirant

I've attached a screen shot. My devices are vibes and Laboratory. I looked at the channels on the device and I don't see a lot of options. Is the goal to just select channels that are least used. I tried a few changes but it didnt seem to make a difference.

Message 4 of 9
MelvinV
Aspirant

2.4 is now on Channel 10

5 is not Channel 40

Message 5 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@MelvinV wrote:

I've attached a screen shot. My devices are vibes and Laboratory. I looked at the channels on the device and I don't see a lot of options. Is the goal to just select channels that are least used. I tried a few changes but it didnt seem to make a difference.

2.4Ghz is a little more important to be on a cleaner channel than 5Ghz as it broadcasts further. So the best thing to do is pick a less used channel and try to stick with 1, 6 or 11, as they don't overlap each other. As far as 5Ghz, just pick a channel to get it off auto.

Message 6 of 9
MelvinV
Aspirant

It's still getting disconnects at channel 10 and 40. Those channels are not in use according to NetSpot.

So does that rule out a channel issue?

Also, is it a channel issue if both SSIDs go down?

Open to trying anything else.

Message 7 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

@MelvinV wrote:

Not sure what to do or what other information to provide. Please let me know if you can offer any advise.

Thanks!

Sometimes switches and other devices can cause anomalies and you have 2 devices before the Orbi router. For testing purposes, take the network cable going into the PfSense and plug it into the Orbi router, bypassing the pfSense router and Unifi switch. So now you would be connected directly to the ONT provided by Verizon. Set the Orbi in router mode. See if that solved the issue.

Message 8 of 9
MelvinV
Aspirant

Connecting directly to the modem did not resolve the issue. After further investigation I realized that the router device was actually losing its Internet connection. I went out and purchased a new device in so far so good with all the default settings. Thank you for your help.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7