Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung 7 series tv will not stay connected to Orbi

wnnnbc
Aspirant

Samsung 7 series tv will not stay connected to Orbi

Hey there, I have been having an issue over the past month that I cannot seem to fix. I connect my Samsung tv to my router and it will work just fine, and then randomly (anywhere from a few hours to a few days) I will turn my tv on again after it being off for at least a few hours and it will say it cannot connect to my router. I have tried changing IP address settings, powercycling both the router and TV, but the only thing that works is resetting the network settings on my TV and then setting up the connection again like I did when I first got the TV. I have updated the firmware on both the TV and the router and I still seem to have the issue. 

Does anyone have any ideas or is anyone having a similar issue? Thanks in advance

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

@wnnnbc wrote:

Hey there, I have been having an issue over the past month that I cannot seem to fix. I connect my Samsung tv to my router and it will work just fine, and then randomly (anywhere from a few hours to a few days) I will turn my tv on again after it being off for at least a few hours and it will say it cannot connect to my router. I have tried changing IP address settings, powercycling both the router and TV, but the only thing that works is resetting the network settings on my TV and then setting up the connection again like I did when I first got the TV. I have updated the firmware on both the TV and the router and I still seem to have the issue. 

Does anyone have any ideas or is anyone having a similar issue? Thanks in advance

This is an indication that DHCP functionality is not working properly. Usually this is caused by a "bad" device in your network. Please look for such device. It can be a wifi repeater or another device acting like a wifi repeater.

Untill you find this "bad" device, I think you can workaround the issue and fix your TV's internet by assigning a STATIC IP address to the TV in the TV settings. This IP address needs to be outside the DHCP range set in Orbi LAN settings.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Set a reserved IP address for the TV on the RBR? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the TV have an assigned IP address?  i.e. Under the Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup.  The TV can be setup with the (typically default) DHCP setting, but it will always get the same IP address.  (It is usually easiest to assign it the IP address that it already has.)

Not saying this will cure the situation, but it is common practice to assign IP addresses to devices that are "always there", such as TV's, thermostats, garage door openers, desktop computers, etc.

Message 3 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@wnnnbc wrote:

This is an indication that DHCP functionality is not working properly. Usually this is caused by a "bad" device in your network. Please look for such device. It can be a wifi repeater or another device acting like a wifi repeater.

Untill you find this "bad" device, I think you can workaround the issue and fix your TV's internet by assigning a STATIC IP address to the TV in the TV settings. This IP address needs to be outside the DHCP range set in Orbi LAN settings.

Message 4 of 5
wnnnbc
Aspirant

Thank you, this seems to have fixed the issue. When I looked on the Orbi app, I couldn't even find the TV on the device list. Once I assigned a static IP to the TV it shows up every time on the app. Thanks again. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7