Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

ivanpang
Follower

Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

Galaxy S8 keeps connecting Orbi wifi with message "internet may not be available" then logging off again but all other devices including iOs, TV and laptop can connect quite well. I'm using 1000M internet connection in Hong Kong with maximum speed around 450-550M in my other router - ASUS RT-AC68U. This Orbi only runs around 250M something. I'm very disappointed.

Message 1 of 260
TomMac
Guru

On the S8, i would try deleting the wifi connction info and re-enter for for orbi system..

Message 2 of 260
BlunderingNinja
Initiate

I am Having the same issue. I have upgraded the firmware on the orbi. I have repeated my Samsung Galaxy S8. I have forgotten and re added the wireless network. But I keep getting the internet may not be available message.
Message 3 of 260
rastamage
Tutor

I'm having the same issue since the most recent orbi firmware update.  I've done everything from forgeting my wifi on my S8, factory resetting my orbi, to factory reseting my Galaxy S8.  All my other devices work fine on my network.  I thought it was the phone, but it works fine on other wifi networks.  The only solutio i found was to connect my Galaxy S8 to the guest network.  That seems to work form me which is weird.  The problem could be a combination of the Galaxy s8 and the orbi router...

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 260
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Our support team would like to work with you on these issues with the S8 if you would like to work with them send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 260
palma15
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S8+ phone and Orbi RBR50 with the latest firmware (V1.12.0.18) installed on the router and the satellite (RBS50). It started very recently I am not sure when exactly but probably after one of the latest phone updates. There were multiple phone updates just recently including updates for Bixby and I am not sure if any of them triggered the issue. I called Samsung and they asked me to reset the phone reset the routers and all possible resets including to try the Safe mode but nothing helped. I don't have any wireless connection issues using different wireless routers such as at work or when visiting friends so it must be something specific to Orbi.  Also, I noticed that when disabling SSID Broadcast for 5GHz the issue seems to be less severe as the phone gets disconnected less often.

Message 6 of 260
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We are aware of the issues and working on them I know one person said S8 works just fine on the guest network.

DarrenM

Message 7 of 260
Sangwich
Star

The disconnecting issue started for me right before the latest update. Also I cannot get my 5Ghz band back on or none of my devices will connect to it. I haven't touched any of the settings since I updated to the latest firmware and did a factory reset. All my devices don't disconnect that often but I've seen my Samsung tablet disconnect at least once. My desktop connected to the satellite via RJ45 has disconnected once too. It's just my S8+ disconnecting constantly. I also noticed when I stream on my Samsung TV there are stutters and I have a 1gbps fiber optic Internet. I get max speed of 600+mbps because currently I'm using the cheap CAT5 wire that was used as a telephone line that I converted to RJ45s because the wires are glued and it's a hassle to rewire them. Before the software update everything streamed very smoothly but it's bareable since it's like 10 seconds at most.

Message 8 of 260
Sangwich
Star

Another thing I notice is that my WiFi strength used to be no less than -50s on 2.4Ghz since my 5Ghz won't work anymore, now it goes as low as low -70s from about 20 feet away in another room.

Message 9 of 260
thereverend
Guide

I'm having the same issue with the S8. It started after a firmware update on the phone. Is it the phone or the Orbi? It does seem to work okay on guest. Why is that?
Message 10 of 260
thereverend
Guide

Never mind, it just happened on guest. Maybe not as often though.
Message 11 of 260
Sangwich
Star

I downgraded my firmware to V1.10.1.2 because that was the last firmware that didn't give me any issue. I remember 1.11 got me disconnected. Then I followed https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5 to disable auto update.

Now my router and satellite works! My 5Ghz band connects and my S8+ doesn't disconnect anymore. None of my devices are having any issues so far. I have an Xbox One, PS4, August Doorbell Cam, Chromecast Utlra, 2 iPhone 6+, iPhone 7, 2 Samsung S8, Macbook Pro 15'' mid 2015, and a custom Desktop connected to the satellite via RJ45. 

Message 12 of 260
thereverend
Guide

The problem is, my wife has an iPhone, which disconnects on that version. It would be really NEAT if Netgear could release a firmware that WORKED with several different devices at the same time. I'm about to sell my Orbis on eBay and/or burn them in the back yard. I paid way too much for this to always be waiting for a new firmware or beta to fix a problem.

Message 13 of 260
rgrimm
Aspirant

I had this problem. Wiping the phone's cache partition seems to have fixed it. Perhaps the phone retains a wifi setting from the previous firmware that doesn't work well with the new firmware.
Message 14 of 260
thereverend
Guide

Tried it. This did not work for me.
Message 15 of 260
Sedawgie
Initiate

I'm having the same issue. Samsung S8 reset to factory settings - no improvement. Issue is only with my Orbi. Wi-Fi works fine elsewhere. Latest firmware on orbi.
Message 16 of 260
Sangwich
Star

I don't understand why someone who actually has an S8 or S8+ tell us to factory reset our phones. It doesn't work! I mentioned this before. Don't factory reset your S8 or S8+.

The issue is clearly the Orbi. Constant disconnection for S8/S8+ is not the only issue. My 5Ghz radio doesn't work anymore. I factory reset my Orbi router, satellite and my S8+. None of them works. Rolling back to an older firmware fixed most of the issue but there are people in my household that have an iPhone. So I rolled back and tried the guest account. That worked for me!

S8 and S8+ owners. Try creating a guest network and connect your phone there. My phone hasn't disconnected the past 2 or 3 days.

Anyone else not able to connect to the 5Ghz radio? I disconnected and reconnected and used my phone in front of my router and satellite but I can never connect to the 5Ghz. None of NY devices can connect to it. I factory resetted at least 2 times and still no luck. I can only connect to it if I roll back my firmware.
Message 17 of 260
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We are investigating the issues with the S8. will let you know when I have a update or a fix but right now the work around is to connect it to the guest network many customer have reported that to work.

DarrenM

Message 18 of 260
toddbee
Guide

I am having the same issue.  All devices work fine except the Glaaxy s8 Plus.  Connects and disconnects all the time.  I get the wifi signal on the phone with the exclamation point thru it.  The S8 works everywhere except on this Orbi.  Hard to believe that its not an easy fix on Netgears end.  I will try the guest account, hoping it will do the trick for now.

Message 19 of 260
Farahman01
Initiate

Same exact issues. Galaxy S8.... Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting every other device great... updates galore
Message 20 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

Add Surface Book to the list of devices having trouble staying connected. My main latop, an I7 Surface Book, now disconnects every 5 minutes or so. SO that is really neat.....

Message 21 of 260
climbingx
Tutor

I discovered the same thing by connecting to the guest network, but my sonos is connected to my home network.  Such a pain.  When is the patch coming out to address this with the s8 phone???

Message 22 of 260
Adsmgmt
Tutor

I have the same issue with my s8 plus. This happens after verizon update yesterday. Can netgear takes a look at this? 

Message 23 of 260
tjnixon2017
Guide

Same problem after the recent update for the Galaxy S8 getting disconnects. Never a problem before the update release from Verizon this past week.
Message 24 of 260
toddbee
Guide

Hi all,
So I added a guest network and now my galaxy s8 plus appears to be working and not disconnecting. Seems like this is a work around until it gets patched.

Message 25 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7