Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

cleoent
Initiate

Same problem here since Verizon update.
Message 26 of 260
Disturbd1
Star

I too have this issue. Really frustrating, as I didn't even know the router firmware had updated. Coincidentally, my S8+ just received an update yesterday as well. Prior to that update, I didn't have any wifi issues. It is ONLY on the Orbi (like others), as my neighborhood Comcast "Xfinity" free wifi works fine.

This is most definitely specific to this router and this device (S8/S8+)

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 27 of 260
rkolesar
Star

Same thing here.  Wife's S7 is OK with the Orbi, but after Friday nights Samsung update I cant stay connected on the Orbi.  Re-installed my old Netgear Genie R6220 and no more connection issues with the S8. I'll go back to the Orbi in Guest mode access as this seems to be the temp fix, hopefully Netgear can get this resolved quickly.

Message 28 of 260
Stkasm
Apprentice

I sent some debug info about s8 to netgear support today. We'll see if they can find what's wrong.

I'm certainly not the author of the product but by looking at Orbi Debug logs, it looks like band steering is the problem. If S8 drops to 2.4G it won't go back to 5G for whatever reason and will stuck in this interim state until Orbi's internal cool down timer expires, then it connects, start working again and next steer event causes the same problem. 

I'm wondering if band steering can be disabled until Samsung or Netgear releases a fix.

Message 29 of 260
Davidyc
Initiate

I've had the s8 plus problem for awhile on tmobile. After tmobile knew nothing, they directed me to samsung. Who after a couple people said i should update to the latest android update. 7.01 or something.
Probably can check by updating software in settings.
I have since done this, and it does appear better. Hope it lasts. It's been so frustrating, that I decided to post and see if it helps others.
Message 30 of 260
Disturbd1
Star

@Davidyc wrote:
I've had the s8 plus problem for awhile on tmobile. After tmobile knew nothing, they directed me to samsung. Who after a couple people said i should update to the latest android update. 7.01 or something.
Probably can check by updating software in settings.
I have since done this, and it does appear better. Hope it lasts. It's been so frustrating, that I decided to post and see if it helps others.

I can tell you this is definitely not related to the version of Android on our phones. My girlfriend has the S7 Active, and it is on version 7.0, and does not have any issues with wifi connectivity. As others have stated, this is specific to the S8/+ and the Orbi.

I can also tell you it isn't a problem with the handoff between bands/frequencies. I've completely disabled the 2.4gHz range just to test this, the problem persists.

Message 31 of 260
Stkasm
Apprentice

@Disturbd1 wrote:

I can tell you this is definitely not related to the version of Android on our phones. My girlfriend has the S7 Active, and it is on version 7.0, and does not have any issues with wifi connectivity. As others have stated, this is specific to the S8/+ and the Orbi.

I can also tell you it isn't a problem with the handoff between bands/frequencies. I've completely disabled the 2.4gHz range just to test this, the problem persists.

So, it's a problem with S8. Just search the  Internet and check Samsung forums. People with S8 and Google Wi-Fi and other systems where they have more than one AP complain about this very problem. I have the same problem at work with Aerohive  networks but it's not as severe as in Orbi environment.

It started  for  me and some other users after most recent S8 update from Verizon. Statement that Android version  doesn't matter is only partially correct. Android uses drivers in most cases supplied by chips manufacturer or device manufacturer. Two different phones on the same Android may behave differently.

Also, I'm not quite sure how you 'disabled' 2.4G. It would be awesome to know if it's even possible on Orbi via UI. 'Broadcast SSID' doesn't disable the network.

Message 32 of 260
Davidyc
Initiate

It has seen started up again. So updating to LATEST software doesn't help. I did the guest wifi network and that actually has made a nice difference.
Hope they fix this soon.
Message 33 of 260
johnnyrook82
Initiate

I have noticed with the recent firmware update my Galaxy S8 will randomly lose internet access.  The phone maintains a strong connection, however loses all internet access for a few seconds and will then reconnect.  I have tried assigning a static IP address, as well as changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - all with no change.  My wifes Galaxy S7 and all other devices on my network don't exhibit this behavior.  Both my router and my phone are running the most up to date firmwares.  Happy to provide further details to get this fixed.

Message 34 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

Same my S8 had disconnected in the past 10 days very often..
Message 35 of 260
rkolesar
Star

Sangwich:

Can you confirm downgrading to 1.10.1.2 still has fixed the problem for you?

I ask because after going through the telnet steps to stop auto-update, 1.10.1.2 still drops my S8 connection.  Happened almost right away.

Also, someone mentioned you don't have to manually stop the auto-update process - I can confirm that after about 3 minutes on 1.10.1.2, my Orbi downloaded 1.12 and rebooted to start using it.

Doing the telnet steps stopped the auto-update process though.

Message 36 of 260
Hector0125
Guide

Thanks for that tip. I was also having issues with my galaxy s8 plus diconnecting from ORBI Wi-Fi. I followed your post and did a Network Settings Reset and that seems to solve the problem. I have been connected to ORBI Wi_Fi for hours now, browsing the web, youtube, etc and working fine. Thanks again. I will post again in a couple of days with updates if anything happens with galaxy s8 plus.

Message 37 of 260
rkolesar
Star

Network Settings reset did not help in my case.

Guest Network is the only way to stay connected but thats not a solution because then I cant get access to devices on my normal network.

Message 38 of 260
Sorven
Initiate

BTW - Guest mode should work for you if you enable the ORBI setting "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" under Basic / Guest Network in router menu. 

It allows devices on guest mode to see the main network devices (like Sonos). Just remember not to give out guest mode to others you don't want to open that access to. It's the only workaround until Samsung fixes their software.

Message 39 of 260
climbingx
Tutor

Thanks for the heads up.
Message 40 of 260
rkolesar
Star

Thanks Sorven, that helped a lot!
Message 41 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

I reset/rebooted/resynced my Orbi Router and Every satellite again last night and my connections issues (even on my S8) seem to be gone.  This is the third time I have done it so maybe one of the satellites was holding onto some cache or something? No clue but I am going to test all day to see if the connection issue comes back.

Message 42 of 260
climbingx
Tutor

Be interesting to hear if that actually works.  I reset the main router but not the sats.  Will have to try that later.

Message 43 of 260
rglen
Initiate

I am not sure of the firmware as I am at work, but I had the EXACT same very frustrating thing happen to me after the latest Update from VZW downloaded last Thursday, July 27th.  Ever since then, my wifi connection at home simply wont work for more than 20 seconds if at all.

At work now, and it's totally fine, anywhere else I go, its fine.  Something about the comms between the S8 and the Orbi is not working.  For the record, I have about 12 other devices at home, all working fine including a Samsung S7 (wife's phone).  

Message 44 of 260
rkolesar
Star

That's exactly when mine stopped staying connected. Before that it was ok. So obviously Samsung changed something, but I don't know why it still works with the Netgear router I had before the orbi if I reconnect that one and disconnect the orbi.
Message 45 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

@climbingx wrote:

Be interesting to hear if that actually works.  I reset the main router but not the sats.  Will have to try that later.

Well I didn't physically reset the satellites. I just powered my whole system off and then Started router and satellites back up in order from closest to router to furthest. So turn router on, then closest sat, then next one, etc.

Message 46 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

mkenny28 - so you didn't actually do a factory reset? More like you unplugged all then replugged in the router followed by the satellites?

Message 47 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

@Dustin278 wrote:

mkenny28 - so you didn't actually do a factory reset? More like you unplugged all then replugged in the router followed by the satellites?

Correct. Although I did reset my furthest Satellite (an RBW30) with a paper clip and reconnect it but I doubt that did anything as my phone never connected to that one anyway. I have done multiple power cycles as well.

Message 48 of 260
ElMagoFrank
Aspirant

Add me to the list having problems with constant dropping of internet connection on a Galaxy S8+ (WiFi connected with exclamation point). I am on the latest firmware for both the Orbi (1.12.0.18) and my T-Mobile S8+. It only seems to happen when I am connected to one particular satellite in my house. Disabling WiFi and re-enabling it on the phone seems to allow it to have internet access for a brief second. Other devices connected to the satellite work without issue.

Message 49 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

I seemed to have fixed my dropping connection on my S8 by resetting each satellite with a paperclip then re-syncing the satellite to the router.. I will keep you posted.

Message 50 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7