Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

vargoose84
Initiate

I don't have any satellites and am on v.18.  I've full factory resets of the router to no avail.  Hopefully this can be fixed soon, it's annoying.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 51 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

UPDATE - after resetting each satellite with a paperclip then re-syncing the satellite to the router.. - Still having problems..

Message 52 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

@Dustin278 wrote:

UPDATE - after resetting each satellite with a paperclip then re-syncing the satellite to the router.. - Still having problems..

My S8 connection problems started again this morning so whatever my resets did were temporary.

Message 53 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

I have setup guest wifi for the time being and this has worked until they get this fixed.

Message 54 of 260
Origosis
Guide

My Samsung S8+ is also unable to maintain a connection to the router. it is so bad now, it never works for more than 2-5 seconds before it drops. I have not tried the guest WiFi yet, but I will try it when i get home tonight.  

I just wanted to post to inform Netgear that there are many of us with this issue and to please have it fixed as soon as possible. $400 router + $800 phone not working, makes for one extremely unhappy customer.

Message 55 of 260
rglen
Initiate

guest wifi worked for me.  Its slower but at least it's not chewing through data plan

Message 56 of 260
fokusnik
Initiate

Hello,

I recently acquired Samsung Galaxy S8 and also have the same issue. No other devices are having this issue - my previous device was S7

I have router and 2 satellites all on V1.12.0.18

Thank you,

Mike

Message 57 of 260
rkolesar
Star

I have opened a support case with Netgear on this issue.  The first tier was not able to resolve anything, nor were the techs I corresponded with aware of this particular thread.

They have since escalated it (yesterday) and I'm waiting to hear something.  

I know a moderator had posted earlier in the thread that they are aware of the issue but it would be nice if they reported some sort of progress, if any, has been made in resolving this.

Message 58 of 260
toddbee
Guide

Honestly I have been escalated to tier two support and gone thru the debug files with them. I really have no faith that this company is going to fix this any time soon. It appears to be an issue for quite a while and still no patch. Guest network does work well however.
Message 59 of 260
rkolesar
Star

RE: Honestly I have been escalated to tier two support and gone thru the debug files with them. I really have no faith that this company is going to fix this any time soon. It appears to be an issue for quite a while and still no patch. Guest network does work well however.

How long have you been at it?

Message 60 of 260
rkolesar
Star

Here is the L2 response:

Update from NETGEAR:

Hi Rick,

I will asked our team about this if they are already aware of this issue and I will get back to you on what will be our next action on this. We are collating cases like this so that we can report it to our engineers and can further investigate the issue. I will get back to you if there are similar cases reported already.

Regards,

Junrel
Expert ID: 8329
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert

Message 61 of 260
Brianw108
Initiate

Just registering my issue along with the others. I have tried factory resets on both the Galaxy S8's and the Orbi to no avail. The temporary fix of using the guest network has helped the issue, please let us know when it has been fixed, thanks!

Message 62 of 260
ngfinley
Initiate

I'm also having the same issue. It's been almost 2 months since the first report and there is still no official answer from Netgear on this topic. Unbelievable.

Message 63 of 260
rkolesar
Star

Yup. After that inane response I got from that level 2 tech, I sent mine back. This is way too expensive a product to have that sort of support.
Message 64 of 260
pdog881
Aspirant

How do I return this POS when out of return window?
Message 65 of 260
gasongasoff
Initiate

I'm also having this issue with my galaxy s8+. In fact, the first time I hit reply to respond to the discussion, my wifi disconnected. It's the same thing everyone else reports. The signal strength is high, but I get the exclamation mark over my wifi signal icon and the error "internet may not be available."

So many problems with this system.
Message 66 of 260
Hokie06
Initiate

I am also having this exact same issue with 2 Samsung Galaxy phones and an Orbi Router.  Wi-Fi constantly drops.  I do not have the same problem with my Apple phone.  Please fix this issue.  It is very annoying.  

Message 67 of 260
nicksterling
Initiate

I just recently upgraded to the S8 and I'm also experiencing this issue. I'm using the guest wifi trick and that's working so far but this is definitely a frustrating bug. I'm hoping to see a resolution to this soon.
Message 68 of 260
lwestfall
Guide

Same problem with my S8+! Unfortunately the guest network "workaround" does not allow me to control/access my numerous wifi-connected devices.
Netgear Admin: Has Samsung told you they are working on a fix on their end, or are you working on a fix on your end?
Message 69 of 260
drot84
Initiate

Also started experiencing the wifi issue after updating my Verizon Galaxy S8 plus to the new firmware around July 27. Not a happy camper! At least I'm on unlimited data.

Also, @lwestfall as someone mentioned earlier, the Orbi guest wifi CAN access at least some things on the main network if you check "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network" - I just started trying the guest network and was able to access a Roku on the main network. Hopefully that helps you. 

Message 70 of 260
Disturbd1
Star

This is very clearly not a priority for Netgear. Even if the problem is in fact within the software running on the Samsung devices, it is not impacting other routers that I've heard. Netgear is going to lose a lot of current and potentially longstanding customers by ignoring this.

If a rep at least assured that it is being addressed, I'd feel OK about waiting. It's been weeks. I'm going to do what I need to return this and replace it.
Message 71 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

Netgears engineers know about this and here is my latest response from Level 2 support:

Thank you for sending this, we will reach out and request to test a beta firmware once our engineers provides us a copy. 
For now I cannot provide yet an ETA but I will update you as soon as I receive feedback from our engineering team. 

Regards, 

Jayson 

Message 72 of 260
ameetp
Guide

My Samsung S8 drops wifi with the orbi router, since the last update from netgear.

We need a fix.  This is a netgear problem

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-not-working-on-Orbi-RBR40/td-p/1305002/page/...

Message 73 of 260
JMU1998
Luminary

I can confirm also my new Samsung S8 Plus (version) is exhibits same issue factory reset did not help.  I have no use for guest wireless so I can't turn it on to add additional interference to my environment they already took away the ability to adjust radio power and turn off no needed radios. no I will not turn on guest wireless need proper fix paid $500 got a half cooked meal!

Message 74 of 260
lwestfall
Guide

Yes, I just confirmed I definitely get slower performance on the guest Network. This S8/S8+ issue has got to be resolved ASAP!
Message 75 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7