Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

lwestfall
Guide

Actually, in all fairness, reconnecting to the guest Network I can sometimes get nearly equivalent speeds. But obviously we shouldn't have to be limited to using a guest Network to be able to use this expensive system.
Message 76 of 260
Stkasm
Apprentice

It a bit unclear why it takes that much time to find why guest network with the same security settings works but normal doesn't.
Message 77 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

My Sprint S8 Plus received a firmware update this morning and so far it appears to have fixed my disconnect issues. I will test further throughout the day but Samsung may have fixed Netgear's issue for them.

Message 78 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Since the same problem exists for many other devices (iOS, Surface, etc), it's not likely.

Message 79 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:

Since the same problem exists for many other devices (iOS, Surface, etc), it's not likely.

It could be very likely. Samsung's forum has a thread filled with Orbi users who have the disconnect issue. Reboots and resets fixed my issues with all my other devices (iOS, Surface, etc) but my S8 Plus was the last device that just kept disconneting no matter what. I have been testing it for several hours all over my property and I have not had one single disconnect. If this holds I will chalk it up to Samsung fixing what Netgear broke with their device.

Message 80 of 260
Hector0125
Guide

I received un update on my phone today not sure from whom....verizon or samsung... BUT my galasxy S8+ has been connected to ORBI wifi for 2 hours now without any issues. I have been checking it every 15 minutes to make sure it is connected to ORBI and it is.  I will UPDATE tomorow around this time regardless......(Central Time).

Message 81 of 260
lwestfall
Guide

That's great! Which version/build?
Message 82 of 260
Disturbd1
Star

That sounds promising, but it sounds like so far only Sprint and Verizon users? I have the unlocked version, checked today and no updates.
Message 83 of 260
lwestfall
Guide

Still no update from Verizon for me.
Message 84 of 260
freiman
Guide

RBK53 V1.12.0.18 Android

I also have been having trouble however my issue is only with 1 of 2 Samsung Galaxy 8.  it gives the same message everyone else has internet may not be available.  I thought it was my phone brought it to Samsung and they replaced the mother board.  brought it home had the same issue.  switched wifi to my providers wifi and have not had the issue.  

I also have noticed that the 5g network is no longer available .

Does anyone know when a fix will be developed and why this problem may be affecting only 1 of 2 samsung 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 85 of 260
freiman
Guide

i checked another feed which stated that the latest version of the firmware was to solve the problem. checked I had that firmware. followed directions to reset my ORBI to the factory setting worked for about 5 minutes and then had the same problem so the new firmware did not solve the problem

Message 86 of 260
Adsmgmt
Tutor

I just update the router to newest firmware (v1.12.0.20) and the samsung s8 plus still dropped. I guess gotta do guest network a little bit longer. 

Message 87 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

@Adsmgmt wrote:

I just update the router to newest firmware (v1.12.0.20) and the samsung s8 plus still dropped. I guess gotta do guest network a little bit longer. 

Sprint sent my S8 Plus an update yesterday and my phone has been rock solid throughout my network since (not one drop). I am running an RBR50, 2 RBS50s, and an RBW30 on my property, nothing in AP Mode on firmware V1.12.0.18 (the RBW30 runs on V1.12.0.4 which seems to be for the wall plug only)

Message 88 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

Sprint's info on the update makes no mention of Wifi fixes in particular but here is the info:

Samsung - Galaxy S8+ (SM-G955U)

Software Version:G955USQU1AQGL    

Release Date: 8/14/2017  

Method: Available OTA + OEM Tool  

Fixes:
A software update can include, but is not limited to: 

- The security of your device has been improved. 

- Wi-Fi Calling is now Calling Plus with new & improved features. 

- Enhanced Messaging new features. 

- Device stability improvements, bug fixes. 

- New and / or enhanced features. 

- Further improvements to performance. 

Message 89 of 260
toddbee
Guide

I recieved the Sprint update a couple days ago to my s8 plus and now the main network on my Orbi has been rock solid.  I disabled the guuest network for now and am giving it a try.

Message 90 of 260
Adsmgmt
Tutor

No update from verizon yet 😞 I am contemplating of returning this expensive piece of hardware...

Message 91 of 260
tnadkarni
Star

I'm on Orbi V1.12.0.18 for RBR50 and RBS50 and checking for updates say there's nothing available. How are peopel on .20?

My S8 has had this issue like others. Didn't know about guest network workaround so will do that for now. Waiting for Verizon to patch it hopefully.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 92 of 260
Adsmgmt
Tutor

The update aint doing nothing anyway... I think we need to wait for verizon update.

Message 93 of 260
GB2379
Aspirant

I am having same issue with Samsung S8+ and Orbi. Phone stays connected with strong signal but "internet may not be available". Setting up the guest network and allowing access to my home network has worked like a champ. No drop offs and I can still access media devices on my home network (Sonos, smart tv, etc). Thank you to whomever figured that out and posted!!!
Message 94 of 260

People's wifi connection fails after their PHONE receives a firmware update and people lash out at Netgear rather than Samsung? 

Message 95 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@PaulOckenden wrote:

People's wifi connection fails after their PHONE receives a firmware update and people lash out at Netgear rather than Samsung? 

@ivanpang wrote:

Galaxy S8 keeps connecting Orbi wifi with message "internet may not be available" then logging off again but all other devices including iOs, TV and laptop can connect quite well. I'm using 1000M internet connection in Hong Kong with maximum speed around 450-550M in my other router - ASUS RT-AC68U. This Orbi only runs around 250M something. I'm very disappointed.

Other devices are confirmed to be experiencing the same behavior, not just the S8+.

Chromecasts, iOS devices, Surface Pro (2017)'s.

Message 96 of 260
Stkasm
Apprentice

Let's not mix all these things and stay on topic. The problem with Samsung has a clear start in a form of software update and clear end - new software update. Samsung S8 problem is really severe and reproducable by every single owner with updated software. If you search the Internet, you find that S8 stopped working properly with Google WiFi and some other connected systems. 

Many people never had any problems with iOS devices, Chromecast or something else. I have 4 iOS devices of different generations, from iPad Air the newest 10.5 Pro and they are perfectly happy with Orbi. 

Message 97 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Stkasm wrote:

Let's not mix all these things and stay on topic. The problem with Samsung has a clear start in a form of software update and clear end - new software update. Samsung S8 problem is really severe and reproducable by every single owner with updated software. If you search the Internet, you find that S8 stopped working properly with Google WiFi and some other connected systems. 

Many people never had any problems with iOS devices, Chromecast or something else. I have 4 iOS devices of different generations, from iPad Air the newest 10.5 Pro and they are perfectly happy with Orbi. 

The issues are not mixed, they're the same.  Having had the same baseband version on my S8+ and it worked well prior to 1.11.x, it's easy to confirm that the problem was introduced with the 1.11.x branch.  The Surface Pro (2017) exhibits the exact same problem at the exact same time that the S8+ and the Chromecasts exhibit the problem.  This occurs whether the S8+ is in the environment or not.

Message 98 of 260
thereverend
Guide

I can confirm that I had no connectivity issues (save one) on any of the various Netgear firmwares, and I have a LOT of devices and device types. The one problem I did have was an iPhone and it was resolved with an Orbi firmware update a few months back.

I did however have a major connectivity problem that was introduced directly after a Samsung Galaxy S8 firmware update, and fixed directly after the next update. The S8 forums are also reporting issues on systems other than Orbi. The problem followed the firmware release, from T-Mobile, to Sprint, to Verizon. As it rolled out, people started complaining. Because of this, I do think that the IOS/other connectivty issues are separate from this problem with the S8. It seems Sprint customers (myself included) are now fixed because Samsung fixed this in their firmware and Sprint has released it.

Message 99 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@thereverend wrote:

I can confirm that I had no connectivity issues (save one) on any of the various Netgear firmwares, and I have a LOT of devices and device types. The one problem I did have was an iPhone and it was resolved with an Orbi firmware update a few months back.

I did however have a major connectivity problem that was introduced directly after a Samsung Galaxy S8 firmware update, and fixed directly after the next update. The S8 forums are also reporting issues on systems other than Orbi. The problem followed the firmware release, from T-Mobile, to Sprint, to Verizon. As it rolled out, people started complaining. Because of this, I do think that the IOS/other connectivty issues are separate from this problem with the S8. It seems Sprint customers (myself included) are now fixed because Samsung fixed this in their firmware and Sprint has released it.

That's possible, but the problem with the S8+ also occurs, exactly at the same time as the S8+ experience it, on other devices, Android and Windows.  

Given that for me, with over 90+ devices, that everything was perfectly stable until 1.11.x, and now it's a wreck, while no doubt the S8 could have an issue, it's definitely not causing the WAN disconnects and the Surface and other devices to exhibt the same exact behavior. 

Message 100 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7