Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

freiman
Guide

I use Verizon wifi what is most interesting and why I thought it was a phone problem and not a firmware issue was because we have two S8 and the problem only occurs with one of them.  I realize after reading some of the other posts that there is a 1.20 firmware update for the ORBI however when I check for updates it states that there is no update available for my model is RBK50 I also realize that this will not fix my problem.  it seems that Verizon will have to set up an update.  I am wondering if Verizon is aware of the issue?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 101 of 260
mattwookie
Tutor

I also have problems with keeping a connection between my Orbi (RBK50) system (updated to latest firmware 1.12.0.18 on both the router and satellite and then rebooted) and my Samsung Galaxy S8+ (unlocked edition). Everything is updated to the latest firmware and software updates. This system drops the connection more often than a drunk clown juggling balls. This behavior is only apparent on the Samsung Galaxy S8+ and does not affect any of my other 15+ wireless connections. Very frustrating. I have about 30 days before my return period is over. I would really like to keep this system due to the Ethernet ports on each base unit.
Message 102 of 260
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The issues with the S8 seem to happen from the last samsung update people are reporting that they updated again and not having issues with the phone on orbi. Some ISPs may have not pushed out the update yet I would keep checking.

DarrenM

Message 103 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Darren,

The issues with Alexa, Surface Pro (2017)'s, S7's, and Chromecasts all happen at the same moment.  The S8+ problems are identical, and all problems began with 1.11.x.

Message 104 of 260
warrrd01
Initiate

Just chiming in. Same issue with Verizon Samsung galaxy s8+ and running orbi rbk50 router and satellite. Got the orbi last december and the s8+ in april. No issues until last week of july when the Wi-Fi signal shows strong but internet access cuts out every few minutes. All of this seemed to start with Verizon update. I just received a new s8+ today, got everything installed and connected with no issues. The phone then did a Verizon update this afternoon and lo and behold, the ! Internet connectivity issues are occuring again on the brand new phone. I have no issues with the other 15+ devices on wifi including older galaxy phones, tablets, laptops, tv's, etc.
Message 105 of 260
SMaurer32
Tutor

Well... I'm officially done wiith the Orbi.  Bought the RBK53 from Costco.  Worked great until the latest firmware from Netgear.  Then, like everyone else my Gs8+would get constant "No Internet" disconnects.  So I returned it for another RBK53 and did the telnet script so it would not update the firmware.  I did manually update to 1.11.0.20 which had no issues with internet disconnects.  Everything was fine for about a week and then we had a quick power outage.  The next more the Orbi was on the newest firmware and my phone started the disconnects.  I had to take my AC66 out of retirement just to set up an AP JUST for my phone.  I've moved on.  Got the Linksys Velop and couldn't be happier.  No disconnects, all bars, and super fast speed.  Plus wired backhaul.  Thanks for nothing Netgear.  You'll push out a firmware for Apple users but drag your feet on Android.  Thankfully I bought them from Costco!

Message 106 of 260
mattwookie
Tutor

I seem to have fixed my problems with my RBK50 and my Samsung S8+.  I followed the instructions I saw on another post to solve the problem.  Step 1 was to update Router and Satellite firmware to latest version (1.12.0.18) from the Netgear Orbi site https://netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download .  Then I factory reset both the router and sattellite by inserting a pin into the reset button on each unit.  Then I used the app to set up the system as a new installation.  This has solved my problems so far (48 hours of heavy usage).  Best of luck to everyone else.

Message 107 of 260
mattwookie
Tutor

I forgot to mention that I changed the name of the wifi but I am not sure this had anything to do with solving my connections issues.

Message 108 of 260
Stkasm
Apprentice

I think changing of SSID is what actually make it work again. That would explain why guest network with the same sett8ng work just fine. I'll test when I'm back home in about three days
Message 109 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

Just changed my SSID and haven't had any problems for the past 30 min - I will keep you posted..Smiley Happy

@Stkasm wrote:
I think changing of SSID is what actually make it work again. That would explain why guest network with the same sett8ng work just fine. I'll test when I'm back home in about three days

Message 110 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

@Dustin278 wrote:

Just changed my SSID and haven't had any problems for the past 30 min - I will keep you posted..Smiley Happy

@Stkasm wrote:

Abort mission - problems are back after changing the SSID:smileymad:..

Message 111 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Is it still working?

Message 112 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

Mattwookie is yours still stable? Just changing the SSID didn't work for me more than 30 minutes.. mine seems to have problems when walking through my home and it handoffs from router to satellite..
Message 113 of 260
SMaurer32
Tutor

@mattwookie wrote:

I seem to have fixed my problems with my RBK50 and my Samsung S8+.  I followed the instructions I saw on another post to solve the problem.  Step 1 was to update Router and Satellite firmware to latest version (1.12.0.18) from the Netgear Orbi site https://netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download .  Then I factory reset both the router and sattellite by inserting a pin into the reset button on each unit.  Then I used the app to set up the system as a new installation.  This has solved my problems so far (48 hours of heavy usage).  Best of luck to everyone else.

I reset to factory also.... multiple times.... with both routers and all satellites.  It just did not work after the latest firmware update.  And I understand why Netgear has the firmware auto update, except that I do not want the latest and they do not give me a way not to update.... no not even the telnet way.  Like I said.  I'm done. I went to the Linksys and am so happy.  No more disconnects.  Not one.  I should also say that this is behind an actual pfSense router.  So Netgear in AP mode and Linksys in Bridge mode.  Bye bye Orbi you were great until the latest update and were too slow to do anything for us Android users.

Message 114 of 260
thereverend
Guide

What carrier are you? Sprint people are working now. I really don't think this is a Netgear issue.
Message 115 of 260
SMaurer32
Tutor

I'm on Sprint.  I did just get a new update today, but I am unable to see if it worked.  I will say this also.... with the Orbi I was getting good pings to the Satellite, but every once in awhile I would get ping spikes with an average ping of around 10ms to the parent Orbi along with the minor dropped packets.  I had my IP camera's all going to the Orbi and would get some ping spikes that correlated with the Satellites.  With this Linksys... my pings are 1-3ms (wireless) and I'm not getting any dropped packets.  I'm very impressed.

Message 116 of 260
mattwookie
Tutor

Dustin, my setup is still working great.  no dropped connections that I am aware of.  A little more detail on my process.  1. I updated the firmware of the sattelite and router.  These need to be updated seperately.  I had to manually download the update and install from my computer.  2. I unplugged the modem power and disconnected the ethernet going into the Orbi router.  3. I manually reset both the router and sattellite using a pin.  Insert the pin into the reset hole on the back of the Orbi and hold it in for about 5 seconds.  A light will start to blink when done.  4. Follow the instructions on the mobil app for a new installation.  You will need the password from your label to get back onto the orbi wifi during setup.  This process worked for me on my RBK50.  I wish everyone the best of luck with this headache.  BTW my S8+ is the unlocked version (not sure if this matters).

Message 117 of 260

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBK50

Pasted below is somebody else's complaint and your reply.  I am having the exact issue (except I am in the US, not Hong Kong) and wonder if you figured it out.  Note that I have also done all basic troubleshooting - rebooted all, factory reset all, disconnect, reconnect, etc.  Hours of my time so please don't reply with troublshooting tips.  Reply with a solution, otherwise - Orbi + 3 satellites get returned.

Their complaint:

Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

Galaxy S8 keeps connecting Orbi wifi with message "internet may not be available" then logging off again but all other devices including iOs, TV and laptop can connect quite well. I'm using 1000M internet connection in Hong Kong with maximum speed around 450-550M in my other router - ASUS RT-AC68U. This Orbi only runs around 250M something. I'm very disappointed.

Your reply:

Our support team would like to work with you on these issues with the S8 if you would like to work with them send me a PM with your name, email, and phone number.

DarrenM

Message 118 of 260

Same exact issue here on my S8+. It started happening about a month or so ago after a phone update. I just completely reset my Orbi to default and set it up again. It is still happening. I am not resetting the phone.

Message 119 of 260

Okay, so I found a solution that said to set up a guest network (make sure to PW protect it) and I named it something other than "guest" so that other people in the area don't try to use it.  Once I did that and connected to that "guest" network, the connection has worked like a charm.  Give it a shot...

Message 120 of 260

Thanks. I will give this a try. I have an Xfinity Router and if I connect to the WiFi on that instead of the Orbi it works great. Of course I prefer that the Orbi work.

Message 121 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Nope that doesn't work.!!!!
My sonos, hue, etc......doent work.
Message 122 of 260
JMU1998
Luminary

I have to turn off then on wifi on Samsung s8+ many times daily issue still exists is Netgear Engineering working on the issue? 

Message 123 of 260
Disturbd1
Star

Since it seems like not everyone new to the thread is reading:

1. The issue is a combination of the Galaxy S8/+ and the latest Orbi firmware.

2. For those on the US-unlocked variant, we are still waiting for Samsung to push the next OTA for our devices.

3. Some carriers such as Sprint and Verizon appear to have a security update for the S8/+ that has fixed this glitch (probably inadvertantly)

4. Netgear engineering is aware of this issue, and has acknowledged it previously in this thread. That said, they don't seem to be really doing anything to satisfy those of us hungry for a better answer than "please be patient".

5. Using the Guest wifi does work as a workaround, without any further modification needed. The downside being that you may have some issues with device isolation, some of which can be mitigated by checking the box to allow guest network attached devices to see other network devices

6. Resetting your router does absolutely nothing if you have the Galaxy S8 or S8+ that is running the firmware version that started the issue. A few people have reported otherwise, but if it works for one person it should work for everyone and it doesn't.

Please don't ask for updates without reading at least the more recent pages in this thread. Some of us are subscribing so we can see information that is helpful, and every reply sends an email notification that is pointless if you read through this thread.

Message 124 of 260
ameetp
Guide

So, We are  sitting here with a $350 wifi router that doenst work.   Is netgear going to reinburse us?

This is getting very frustation for all of us.  This needs to be resolved asap.    We cant use our smart thing in our homes.  (Hue, Sonos, etc.....)

Message 125 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7