Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

Dustin278
Apprentice

I heard that someone in another thread has a  BETA firmware labled 2.0.0.62-debug in another thread - anyone else using this with any luck??

Message 126 of 260

I read everything before responding.

I'm on Verizon, the last update did not fix it for me. In fact, it seemed to make it worse!

I reset my router because at first I thought it might be an issue with that and not just the phone (before finding this thread). Doing that didn't hurt much. As we know though, that does not help.

I will just keep using my phone on either 4G (unlimited data), or connected to my Xfinity router.

Message 127 of 260

Actually my S8+ is the only thing that I'm having any issue with as far as I know. I have Philips Hue, Wemo, an Echo, Google Home, Vivint doorbell, WiFi thermostat and several other things running that seem to work just fine.

Message 128 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

S8+ here with the same symptoms. All other wireless appears okay. Maybe its a Samsung issue but samsung also blames Netgear so we are caught in the middle. I'm on verizon so I havent gotten the August update yet, hopefully they snick in a wifi/software fix. It would be nice to hear if any beta software is helping or being worked on from the Netgear end, even if its a workaround samsungs' problems.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 129 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

@spinkick wrote:

S8+ here with the same symptoms. All other wireless appears okay. Maybe its a Samsung issue but samsung also blames Netgear so we are caught in the middle. I'm on verizon so I havent gotten the August update yet, hopefully they snick in a wifi/software fix. It would be nice to hear if any beta software is helping or being worked on from the Netgear end, even if its a workaround samsungs' problems.

I was able to install the Beta firmware last night Beta 2.0.0.62-debug - Did not fix the Wifi issue from what I could tell but was only able to try it for less than 10 minutes last night and started to drop connection within 5 minutes so I went back to my Guest network until I have more time to test.. Starting to think this is more of a Samsung thing after googling around..

Message 130 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

I'm thinking its a samsung thing as well. I wonder what is different about the netgear guest network than the main network?

Message 131 of 260

Unsure what the difference is, but setting up the guest network totally and completely solved the problem for me.

Message 132 of 260
Sellmetv2
Tutor

I am also having the same issue, this is the 2nd Orbi system I am using. Returned the first one and set up the 2nd system. Both systems have the same problem. However the 2nd one does not drop as much.
Message 133 of 260
Luisfernan
Guide

On my Galaxy S8 was disconnecting and reconnecting sometimes every 10 min or some time less. Read about someone creating a guest account on the orbi router and tried it and so far it's been more than 12 hours of solid connection without dropping wifi signal.
Message 134 of 260
JMU1998
Luminary

@Luisfernan same issue for my s8+ I am on verizon and have RBR50, not sure what Netgear Engineering is doing to address if anything at all.

Message 135 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Yes, but you cant control any smart things in your home.  for exampe, Sono, Hue, etc.

Message 136 of 260
Luisfernan
Guide

I can control my Arlo and my vine thermostat even on the guest connection. Give yours a try
Message 137 of 260
Luisfernan
Guide

For me too. Don't know what's the difference but it's working like a charm so far
Message 138 of 260
tjnixon2017
Guide

Make sure that you also report these problems to Verizon Support so that they can work with Samsung. These problems with the internet connection probems on th Orbi started occurring for most people after the July Galaxy S8 update on Verizon.  So they need to work with Samsung to get this resolved.  As noted everyone, Orbi works just fine with all other devices, the problem is the Galaxy S8 on Verizon.

Message 139 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Its most likely the phone. There is a guy on reddit who got a new s8 because of this issue and has old software on the device and isnt having the issues on Orbi like the rest of us. Not even using the guest network work around.

Message 140 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The issue isn't limited to the S8/S8+.

It impacts Ring Chime, Surface Pro 3's, Surface Pro (2017's), Amazon Echos, Amazon Taps, Amazon Dots, Chromecasts Gen 1 & Gen 2 and Chamberline Garage Door Controllers.

Message 141 of 260
Stkasm
Apprentice

@Retired_Member with all due respect, you're describing something not exactly related to this thread. People here do not have  any problems with other devices. Only some versions of S8 with newer FW releases from specific carriers and that's it. 

If all your devices disconnect at the same time or something like this, it may be a problem with your WAN link. Does it go down? If it does, these devices may trigger "Internet not working" mechanism easily.

Message 142 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

never mind, previous post said what I thought as well.

Message 143 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Stkasm wrote:

@Retired_Member with all due respect, you're describing something not exactly related to this thread. People here do not have  any problems with other devices. Only some versions of S8 with newer FW releases from specific carriers and that's it. 

If all your devices disconnect at the same time or something like this, it may be a problem with your WAN link. Does it go down? If it does, these devices may trigger "Internet not working" mechanism easily.

Actually,

The issue is identical, and not limited to the S8+/S8.  The issue occurs on certain devices, and not others, simultaneously as the S8+ experiences the problem.

Most people do not have a large enough sample of devices to experience it.   I have over 90 devices, and some but not all disconnect in the same manner as reported here at the exact moment the S8+ does, while others maintain their connectivity, so therefore it is NOT a WAN disconnect issue.

For over a month, it's been mis-diagnosed as an S8/S8+ issue, and it isn't.  I've been in network engineering for 19 years, and the problem is not isolated to the S8+/S8.

The issue only exists on the Orbi WIFI network, and does not occur on my numerous other Asus routers while connected to the same modem.  The S8+ and the other devices stay connected perfectly on the same WAN connection with only a different router.

Message 144 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Again, the issues you are having may be with the most current firmware update for Orbi, but the S8/S8+ issue seems to have started on other mesh devices as well as the Orbi and may not be related. The S8 started having the problems after the July security update. Guys with s8's with older software are not having the issue. 

I am not saying that you arent having issues, but they are probably related to the orbi firmware update, not the s8 connection issues which appears to be having this issue in mesh environments when using the s8 july firmware update.

Message 145 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@spinkick wrote:

Again, the issues you are having may be with the most current firmware update for Orbi, but the S8/S8+ issue seems to have started on other mesh devices as well as the Orbi and may not be related. The S8 started having the problems after the July security update. Guys with s8's with older software are not having the issue. 

I am not saying that you arent having issues, but they are probably related to the orbi firmware update, not the s8 connection issues which appears to be having this issue in mesh environments when using the s8 july firmware update.

The isssues began for all these devices, exactly with the release of the 1.10.x branch.

Message 146 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Right, but we are talking about the s8. The S8 on previous android firmware does not have this issue. 

Message 147 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@spinkick wrote:

Right, but we are talking about the s8. The S8 on previous android firmware does not have this issue. 

I beg your pardon, but it does.  I have one as well as the S8+.

Message 148 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

What firmware version are you running on your s8+?

Also, i wonder what the limit is per router on devices. Is this informatoin out there? Our business class APs at work cant handle more that 70-100 clients at a time.

Message 149 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@spinkick wrote:

What firmware version are you running on your s8+?

Also, i wonder what the limit is per router on devices. Is this informatoin out there? Our business class APs at work cant handle more that 70-100 clients at a time.

My 5 year old Asus AC68U's and my AC88u all handle 90 devices just fine.  Our Cisco AP's at work handle that many devices, just fine.

It's not like all 90 are streaming video.  An Amazon Dash button presents no load on a router.

I will post the firmware from my Sprint S8(work) and my Verizon S8+(personal) tonight.

Message 150 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7