Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

Luisfernan
Guide

@JMU1998 it doesn't matter if it's Verizon, Att or t mobile, it's the update Samsung did on July that it's not working with orbi. Just try the guest connection
Message 151 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Luisfernan wrote:
@JMU1998 it doesn't matter if it's Verizon, Att or t mobile, it's the update Samsung did on July that it's not working with orbi. Just try the guest connection

I've been using the guest SSID for a month, and while more stable than the primary, it experiences the same problems a few days after resetting the orbi to defaults.

Message 152 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

I've found the same. Guest network doesnt disconnect but its still kind of flakey. I'm going to try to get Verizon to send me a new phone with old firmware to test the other guys results. 

Message 153 of 260
Luisfernan
Guide

@Retired_Member so far it's been working flawless on my s8. But I haven't reset my orbi so that might make a difference. I won't until it drops the Wi-Fi
Message 154 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have a hunch based on screwing with the situation for almost 45 days.  The router is extremely stable for a few hours after a complete reset to factory defautls and reconfiguration.  It gradually degrades over time following that...

Having reset the router numerous times since 1.11.x, that's been my experience anyway.

In fact, when the first .12 release for which I helped beta test, it was rock solid for several WEEKS UNTIL, I reset the Orbi due to installing new UPS's.  Then it went flaky as all get out again, just like on 1.11.x.

Just FYI, I previously stated this began with 1.10, which was a typo, I meant 1.11.x.

Message 155 of 260
Luisfernan
Guide

@Retired_Member that's on the guest connection or the normal one? So far on my case it's been working flawless on the guest connection. Normal connection drops like crazy
Message 156 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Totally agree.  Lets all contact Samsung.  Maybe we can get the ball rolling faster.

Message 157 of 260
Luisfernan
Guide

@ameetp I did call them yesterday about the issue with the update that they did and how it's been dropping my wifi but no help whatsoever on their part
Message 158 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ameetp wrote:

Totally agree.  Lets all contact Samsung.  Maybe we can get the ball rolling faster.

Samsung doesn't have anything to do with the Surface Pro's, Ring, Amazon Echo's or the other devices.  While they might be able to fix an S8 issue, they can't fix the others.

Given the S8 CAN function perfectly fine randomly on the Orbi with any firmware version, I still think folks are getting a single problem but are thinking it's only related to the S8.

Again, many devices are rock solid on the 1.11, and 1.12 firmware but some are basically unusuable.

Message 159 of 260
freiman
Guide

Resetting the Orbi and the satellites does not fix the problem. it did start with the latest upload from samsung for the S8 I actually decided to switch to using the Verizon WIFI until either Verizon or Netgear fixed the problem.  I am able to get reception through out my whole house however it is weak in some areas.  it is better then the constant drops 

Message 160 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

I am beyond frustrated and have wrote reviews on Amazon and Costco for people to stay away from this product - It is unstable and unusable for the past month. Support is slow and non-helpful.

Message 161 of 260
freiman
Guide

writing negative reviews may be the only way to insure this will get fixed.  Companies are in business to make money if they get negative reviews they start listening.  I will do the same

Message 162 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Too many fake 5 star reviews...

Anyway, the Verizon August update for the S8/S8+ was just delivered.  As I expected, a disconnected happened within about 10 minutes of receiving it.  The problem isn't an S8/S8+ problem only.

Message 163 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Nobody it saying it's an s8 problem only. There are likely two issues here. One being the firmware problem in orbi, and the one dealing with the Wifi issues the S8 is experiencing, that isn't just happening on the orbi. That's why this thread exists outside of the orbi thread going on.

Was there a radio baseband update on the S8? If not, that would explain the Wifi being just as bad.

I realize people are upset about the orbi firmware but we need to make sure that confirmation bias doesn't cloud our data and we mix two different issues together.
Message 164 of 260
Stkasm
Apprentice

I'd wait for somebody on Verizon with 'S8 only problem' to chime in. I can check later today when I'm back home.

Message 165 of 260
RangerRick05
Initiate

Router: RBR40

Satellite: RBW30

I'm having exact same issue. My Galaxy S8 Plus consistently drops the normal wifi. The guest wifi does seem to be holding, though it is underperforming the iPhone 6s Plus by a noticeable amount. It's working as a temporary measure, but this situation does need to be fixed with a new firmware very soon please.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 166 of 260
freiman
Guide

My problem is only with the S8 and I have Verizon.  all other devices work fine

Message 167 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@freiman wrote:

My problem is only with the S8 and I have Verizon.  all other devices work fine

Verizon S8/S8+ received the update today that supposedly "fixes" the problem.  In my case, it did not.

Message 168 of 260
tjnixon2017
Guide

Just installed the Verizon update on my Galaxy S8 plus.  Connectivity still a problem.  No internet connection after several minutes.

All other devices on the Orbi Network have always worked just fine, which includes iphone, ipads, Sonos, Alexa, Lutron Home Automation, Ring Door Bell, security cameras, 3 laptop, 2 desktop, numberous streaming devices and televisions.

The only failture on my home network is he Orbi with the Galaxy S8, continued internet connection drops.  Thankfully, I have a iPhone that I can use on the network to control all the home automation devices.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 169 of 260
JMU1998
Luminary

@Luisfernan why should I try guest connection I have no need for guest radio turned on to pollute my already congested environment with more interference.  turning on guest connection is not an acceptable solution for my scenario.

Message 170 of 260
Luisfernan
Guide

@JMU1998 Mr. Environment do whatever you want I just told a solution in the mean time either return your phone or your router and no more pollution
Message 171 of 260
JMU1998
Luminary

@Luisfernan returning phone is an option returning Orbi is not I got it when it came out.  Not being able to reduce power on radios or turn off radios not being used is something Netgear removed which baffles me.  I try not to be selfish and blast my router radio in all directions if I am not using them or have no need just contribute to the pollution/interference in your surroundings/neighbourhood/network environment. 

Message 172 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

The guest network does not use a different radio channel than your current network, it just broadcasts an additional SSID. So, you wont be contributing to any extra polution that you arent already causing. Until netgear fixes the firmware, nobody here can really help much more as we are just all users just trying to help each other out, and not representatives of netgear

Message 173 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

I can finally confirm that my Verizon S8 finally works without disconnect after todays Verizon update - It has been stable for the past 4 hours without a single drop in connection - I have walked all over my yard and through my home trying to get it to not respond.. I am also on the BETA firmware which had been working about the same up until the Verizon update this afternoon.

I have turned down the 2.4 intensity to 50% so that it stays connected to my 5 ghz more and I only have a couple 2.4 ghz devices

I even got full signal 100' into my backyard and speedtest'd with full DL and full UL speeds.

Here are my advanced settings:Untitled.jpg

Message 174 of 260
tnadkarni
Star

I can confirm that the Verizon update today fixed the issue for me. I am on .18 Orbi (not beta) and I didn't touch settings. Just disconnected from guest Network and connected to main. Been stable and fast for a few hours now. Will report back on thread if things change.
Message 175 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7