Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

ElCidViscious
Aspirant

I have read every post in the long thread and am grateful for the guest Wi-Fi workaround suggestion.   However, like others, I am still looking for the permanent resolution.  I have a T-Mobile Galaxy S8+ with Andriod kernel version 4.4.16-11711626 dated July 14th, 2017.   Security software versions

MDF v3.0 rel. 1,

WLAN v 1.0 rel. 1.

VPN v1.4 re. 8.1

ASKS v1.3_161228.

Orbi software version 1.4.0.18

It's encouraging to see that Verizon users have received an updated recently that appears to have resolved the problem.  I would like to know if there is any way the Verizon users can correlate what was updated to we can speak intelligently with T-Mobile on what update we are also looking for.

Thank you

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 201 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Nobody at T-mobile tech support will be able to help you with this, and you cant force them to push the update out. Every provider takes the updates they get from google and samsung and sets up a "push" that then goes to every phone. Thats why you see verizon people talking about how it fixed it. We were all on the July update you were on and they then released the update which included a fix (usually called a ninja fix, because its not listed in patch notes).

So, i would hang tight with the guest network work around that we all used until t-mobile pushes the same update out. It should not be long. They are usually among the first so this is kind of new that they are waiting so long.

Message 202 of 260
ElCidViscious
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt reply Spinkick.  I have no fantasy that I am going to influence T-Mobile's technical support.  I was just hoping to find any common version taxonomy between carriers that  I could reference.

Message 203 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The August update for the S8/S8+ has no changes for WIFI for any carrier.

Message 204 of 260
ElCidViscious
Aspirant

TXGunLover

Appreciate the feedback. I have no idea what is in the update that Verizon pushed but since Verizon users are reporting positive results from the last update there is clearly a cause and affect related to that update.  I am just eager to identify, if possible, what was updated and valdate that same update is available for T-Mobile customers.

Message 205 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@ElCidViscious wrote:

TXGunLover

Appreciate the feedback. I have no idea what is in the update that Verizon pushed but since Verizon users are reporting positive results from the last update there is clearly a cause and affect related to that update.  I am just eager to identify, if possible, what was updated and valdate that same update is available for T-Mobile customers.

Understand, just also understand multiple Verizon users are reporting no change as well.

Message 206 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Most likely your phone update will fix your phone,if that is the only problem you are having with Orbi. Otherwise, there are other underlying issues that the phone cant control Probably interference, the number of devices on wifi at once, etc. Wifi is hard, and mesh wifi even more complex. 

Basically, those that everything was fine for except their S8's are good now, everyone else who had orbi problems, are still having those, and you cant expect a phone update to help with those. 

Message 207 of 260
Hector0125
Guide

I am here to confirm that last update verizon pushed to my Galaxy S8 fixed the connection between the phone and Orbi router.  I received the update Sep.tember 2 and since then my connection to Orbi wifi has not dropped at all. I wanted to wait 1 week to make sure the problem was fixed before posting a comment here. So, Yes verizon update fixed this problem.

Message 208 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Anyone know when T-Mobile update is coming out

Message 209 of 260
jlangner
Tutor

Well new Orbi firmware today and still no go other than Guest 😞

Message 210 of 260
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello jlangner 

What phone carrier do you have?

DarrenM

Message 211 of 260
jlangner
Tutor

T-mobile
Message 212 of 260
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have seen other users report that Tmobile hasn't pushed the Samsung update yet that has a fix for the issues that S8 users are having on orbi.

DarrenM

Message 213 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Yes, I'm still waiting on the update.

Does anyone know? 

Netgear  are you doing anything to push this?

Message 214 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

With all due respect, how would netgear be able to push a carrier to release an update to a phone? Trust me, its coming, all the other carriers have gotten it, its really up to t-mobile to finally release the update. 

Message 215 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The S8 August patches had nothing to do with wifi. This is a fact direct from Samsung.
Message 216 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Only on your system with 100's of devices did it not have an affect. As for everyone else, with products that use mesh networking (not just orbi) all across the internet, the august update has fixed the issue. 

Of course, if you have other issues other than just the s8 like yourself, of course your data will be off. Many, many people, not just on this forum, have confirmed that the update has fixed the issue.

Sorry it doesnt work for you. For the vast majority that have gotten the update, it has.

Message 217 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Let us not exaggerate. I do not have hundreds a of devices.

Folks in this very thread continue to have the issue. The insinuation that Samsung made a change when they said they didn't is hilarious.
Message 218 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Yes, tmobile users that still havent gotten the date. Now, please, stop spreading FUD

Message 219 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I seriously doubt the average user on here has the monitoring capabilities that detect these sort of disconnects.  Using things such as a domotz agent and now a Fingbox, they're easy to see.  It's also easy, from a metric standpoint, to see that the August S8/S8+ release had no effect on these sort of disconnects that were also present across MULTIPLE other clients (Echo's, Surface Pro 3's/Surface Pro (2017), S8+'s and others).

What did cause a decrease was the 2.0.0.64 release of the Orbi firmware.  While they aren't gone, they have been dramatically reduced.

This is actual, factual data measured constantly over days and weeks.

Message 220 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

again, the issue isnt just orbi device but other mesh products as well. The august update fixed those as well. Wait until tmobile releases their update. The version 2 orbi software only came out yesterday and folks were reporting fixes well before that. 

Message 221 of 260
mkenny28
Apprentice

The update that I got from Sprint fixed my S8+ disconnect issue. Either that or ir conveniently just stopped disconnecting of its own accord.  Pre Sprint update I could repeat the disconnect by simply walking to a different area of my home 100% of the time. After update I couldn't get it to disconnect at all. I only had a few problems with other devices after the 1.12.0.18 update but a few reboots of all devices and forgetting then reconnecting them took care of the other (noticeable) disconnects. All but my S8+, no matter what I did it would disconnect dozens of times everyday, until the Sprint update. Coincidence? Could be but the point is my s8+ is stable again. I just updated my Orbi system to 2.0 10 minutes ago and all is well.

Message 222 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

@TXGunLover wrote:
The S8 August patches had nothing to do with wifi. This is a fact direct from Samsung.

Please quote your source - It fixed nearly everyones on Verizon and Sprint.. Explain that? So you are telling me that the fix couldn't have been a bug that was related to the newest firmware that they clearly have done:

Software Version: NRD90M.G950USQU1AQGL

The current software update gives you essential bug fixes as well as other enhancements to the user experience.

Message 223 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

Here is another thing to try that I saw awhile back:

1. Login onto the Netgear router using the IP or http address. orbilogin.net  Hoefully you remember your password. The login is "admin" unless you forced a change. 

2. On your Basic tab go to "Attached devices". 

3. Find your S8 and click on it. Mine was listed as "Galaxy-S8".

4. Change "Device Type" to "Android Phone" and click on Apply. 

Message 224 of 260
Stefanu
Tutor

Same problem with connection here. And I already installed the V2 firmware from orbi
Turning WiFi off and on re-establishes the connection..
Message 225 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7