Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 not working on Orbi RBR40

DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Stefanu

Who is your mobile provider?

DarrenM

Message 226 of 260
Stefanu
Tutor

Telenet.
But my previous router worked flawless.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 227 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The S8/S8+ have worked fine on all other wifi systems except the Orbi.  You'll hear some misleading comments about "mesh", but the problems have only been verified on the Orbi and were improved, not by a S8/S8+ update, but rather by firmware updates from Netgear.

Message 228 of 260
thereverend
Guide

Txgunlover is incorrect. Mine stopped working immediately after I installed an update to my S8 in July and began working again immediately after I updated again a month later. I tested multiple Orbi firmware versions during this time. The disconnecting wifi only correlated to the S8 updates, not the Orbi updates. Several other people have reported this exact correlation. The initial reports for it breaking followed the carrier rollout in July/August and the resolution of the problem followed the next rollout, carrier by carrier. You can see the initial reports in TMobile's forums in July. At that time I didn't have an issue, but did when Sprint sent out that update shortly after. When VZ and Sprint sent out the next update, people on those carriers were fixed. TMobile customers still complained of disconnects, and had not received the update. I don't know how much clearer we can be here, txgunlover, but you seem really unconvinced and I can't understand why.
Message 229 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm simply talking about facts measured by external monitoring devices reported by me and others in this very thread. Opinions don't trump facts. As I said the 2.0.x branch has improved it, but statistically the August s8/s8+ patch had no effect.
Message 230 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Txgunlover, if you actually looked at the evidence and not confirmation bias, youd see that the new updates for the s8 ARE fixing the issue. This is not an Orbi issue no matter how hard you try to make it that way. Why are you so against what everyone else is trying to tell you?

Message 231 of 260
thereverend
Guide

Txgunlover, if you are seeing other issues with other clients, that is a different problem than we are talking about in this thread. This was absolutely 100% fixed by an update I got from my carrier. I was really really paying attention.
Message 232 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I am able to read, both this thread and others on SNB et al.  While the average user will see a reduction with the 2.x branch, they won't have a complete fix.  Additionally, systemically measured disconnects did not improve with the Aug S8/S8+ (nor did the Surface, Echo's and Chromecasts) until the 2.x branch.  Since those other devices didn't receive net driver updates either, it's obvious that the Orbi firmware fixed the problem, not the non-updates to the other devices (including the S8/S8+).  You're using software we develop with Samsung, right now, and it didn't receive any network updates Aug.

Message 233 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

You've got so many other issues going on with your network and the Orbi, im not sure how this makes any claim with the S8 viable at all. You've got no control group to speak of other than "other routers".  

This thread was about s8 and the router, not other issues. Straighten those issues out first and I bet (as long as you have an updated s8) your issues stop with that device as well.

Message 234 of 260
Dustin278
Apprentice

@Retired_Member - how is it possible that you are the only one still having S8 problems with the Orbi. I after the Verizon August update mine had also been flawless. I think you are having other issues and may need to try another s8 on your network or get a new Orbi
Message 235 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have no other issues once the 2.x set was released, not sure what you're talking about.

Message 236 of 260
Retired_Member
Not applicable

- Go back and read the thread, others still had the problem after the Aug update.  
Message 237 of 260
spinkick
Apprentice

Others are t-mobile owners.

Message 238 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Does anyone know when T-Mobile is sending this patch out?

This has gone way too long.  None of the tips and tricks work.

Message 239 of 260
ameetp
Guide

Ok All T-Mobile subscribers, Lets get on the live chat with samsung (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/) and complain.

Obviously, they are not aware of this problem.  See below. 

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG 

Message 240 of 260
martyfp
Luminary

@Dustin278 wrote:

4. Change "Device Type" to "Android Phone" and click on Apply. 

Hi @Dustin278  - I have wondered about this.  Do these settings actually do anything other than set the Icon used in the connected devices page ?

Message 241 of 260
ameetp
Guide

That doenst work, i already tried.

Message 242 of 260
Sorven
Initiate

Expect a firmware patch to go out over next day or so

Message 243 of 260
Stefanu
Tutor

From Samsung?
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 244 of 260
jlangner
Tutor

Got TMobile update today. So far no disconnects. Switched from guest to normal... Yeah
Message 245 of 260
ElCidViscious
Aspirant

I am about to install the update but before I did I took a screenshot of the update screen.  Like other comments I've read on other carriers updates, there do not appear to be any sort of reference to connectivity remediation, Wi-Fi or otherwise.  See screenshot

Screenshot_20170929-182117.jpg

Message 246 of 260
jlangner
Tutor

6 hours of use and not one issue yet. This weekend will be the test. Hahaha
Message 247 of 260
Stefanu
Tutor

I have to get the update from Samsung. So I guess I still have to wait long time....
Message 248 of 260
cadfost
Aspirant

Is the RBR50 still incompatible with Samsung Galaxy?  Will be getting a new router if so.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 249 of 260
Stefanu
Tutor

Had problems in the beginning...
Now it's working perfectly
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 250 of 260
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7