Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Samsung S7 wifi connects but no internet available

sgrayban
Apprentice

Samsung S7 wifi connects but no internet available

I have a Samsung S7 G930V and since the last router update my phone randomly drops connection and no internet available.

For the life of me I can't figure out why. I have changed the 5G channel and still same issue with JUST my cell phone.

Is this a issue with the latest firmware update for the Orbi ?

How do I flash the old firmware to get my stability back ?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Had a full reboot of the Orbi system been performed after the update? Try a full power OFF for 1 minute then back on?

Power OFF the phone and back on as well.

Is the phone getting an IP address from the router?

Check the routers connected clients page.

Set up a IP address reservation for the phone ON the router.

Disable MIMO, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming and IPv6 ON the router and test the phone.

Message 2 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

No change.

Router is in AP mode. The phone gets the assigned IP but loses internet often.
Message 3 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 4 of 23
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Did you try to remove the network from the phone and reconnect? also have you tried the 2.5 ghz network?

DarrenM

Message 5 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

The 2.5 ghz seems to be ok. Just the 5ghz randomly shuts off.
Message 6 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this the only devices that exhibits this issue on 5Ghz or do other devices also have a problem on 5Ghz?

Message 7 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

All the 5ghz seem to have problems. My echos stop playing music and FireTV pauses a few seconds randomly while watching TV and when that happens I check my phone and sure enough it says "internet might not be available".
Message 8 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets try the dreaded ERASE on the router and satellite. Factory reset both. First set up the router from scratch. Don't load from a saved configuration from file. Can use same SSID and PW. Don't set up the satellite just yet. Run some tests with just the router alone with the phone. Anything better after this with the phone? if good, then re-add the satellite.

I presume if it still happens, You could downgrade to v.10 and try that again. Not sure if the system will auto update to v.16 at somepoint.

Message 9 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

Ok I'll do that tomorrow and post here.

How do I do a factory reset ?
Message 10 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Press in the reset button in back of each unit unit the top led turns on amber, then let go. Once the top led slowly pulses white, you can begin the set up process. Walk thru the set up wizard on the router. Write down all information for safe keeping and use later on.

Message 11 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

I haven't done the reset yet and really don't want to either... my neighbour also has orbi and his auto updated to this new version and he is also having the same issues. If the Orbi is going to auto update then I see no reason to do go through a reset.

Netgear needs to fix this problem first. Both 5 and 2.5ghz is not stable at all.
Message 12 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

This is a last resort that should be done. If you have powered OFF the system for 1 minute then back on and the problem still exists. Then you need to try the full factory reset. You might have your nieghbor help you if you think you need help doing this. 

Others have mentioned seeing problems after the update and after doing much troubleshooting, doing a factory reset resolved there problems. 

If not, you'll need to contact NG support and ask for help and information there. 

Message 13 of 23
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

You are not alone -  I have the same problem on my S8. 

Fortunately, I don't usually need wi-fi at home on my mobile device, and the rest of my orbi network is OK.  But it's still frustrating.  I try to use it as a remote with my harmony hubs and wifi disconnects constantly.

If I figure out anything as a fix, I will post here, but I've tried every possible combo of settings (and everything with Furry's standard recommendations) and nothing has solved it.

Message 14 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I was handed a S7 yesterday to make sure it was up to date. Givein to a family member in the house. I looked around and got it connected to the Orbi wifi. It connected and I found that it was behind 3 updates. Mangaged to get it up dated and it had access thru the Orbi system the entire time.

Message 15 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

Lucky you Furry...

It's not just my phone.... all of my wireless devices are affected by this. Try watching FireTV and it cuts out saying no internet connection.
Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and ask for help and information on this. You may have a bad unit that needs to be replaced. Ask for an RMA.

Message 17 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

Why would I do that ? This issue didn't happen until the last update.

I'll call them but I don't think it's bad routers... that would mean mine and both neighbours having the same issue are also bad and that's not good odds.
Message 18 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # if your ISP modem the Orbi is connected too?

You can try downgrading to v.10 and see if the problem continues. Down load the FW file, unpack the .IMG file, use IE11 or FF browser. After the file is process and the router is back, do a ERASE and set up from scratch on the router...see if this might help.

Message 19 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

ISP is CenturyLink
Zyxel C3000Z double bond

I do a erase after I downgrade ?
Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL radios disabled on this modem to be sure?

Yes, load the FW file and let it process. Then ERASE and set up from scratch. IF your using the Orbi in AP mode, I would disconnect it from the modem right before you select the ERASE. Just keep one wire connected PC with the router is all. Turn off or disconnect ALL other devices. Once you get the router ERASED then set up from scratch an reconfigured for AP mode, then reconnect back to ISP modem and all other devices.

Message 21 of 23
sgrayban
Apprentice

Downgraded the firmware yesterday and all working great then woke up this morning and friggin router auto updated to the **bleep**ty new version and back to flaky Wi-Fi access.
Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Try an ERASE on the entire system and setup from scratch to see if it's still flaky...

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7