Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sat still dropping out , but only on Ipad

TomMac
Guru

Sat still dropping out , but only on Ipad

Running the Orbi and one Sat on latest sw, single floor home, sat is aprox 35 ft away from main... data thru put is good, getting same speeds as main unit.

But, Seeing a streaming problem only to an Ipad gen 3 from the Sat... ( not seeing it on other devices ).  Ipad running on 5 ghz channel no more than 20 ft away from Sat unit.

About every 10 mins, the Sat seems to be dropping out and of course stopping the data ( which stops the streaming video ). It does rehook automatically back into the 5 ghz channel after about 15-20 secs.  Also of note, is I don't see the drop out at other times , only when streaming video.

Anyone else have a problem with the Orbi and Ipads... and/or ideas ?

TIA

Tom

Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Sat still dropping out , but only on Ipad

Thanks Tom for testing this if anyone else is having issues with the .18 Firmware let me know so I can pass the issues to the engineers.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 20

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TomMac

I have seen some other posts about Apple products having issues with orbi did this just start happening to you after upgrading to the latest Firmware?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 20
TomMac
Guru

Hi Darren...

It does seem to be more apparant with the latest version of sw, tho not sure if it also occured with the last version.( they were a 10 days or so apart )

Message 3 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello TomMac

Can you try to revert back to the .16 Fw and see if the dropouts are happening I am trying to find out if the Firmware is the issue or its something more. I linked the Firmware page below so you can manually revert back.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#download

DarrenM

Message 4 of 20
TomMac
Guru

Message 5 of 20
bsholbrook
Apprentice

I've also seen what I would classify as the same brief wifi discoonect issue on iphone and apple tv.  The devices are associated with a satelite, not the router and have very very strong signal strengths right to the point where the condition occurs.

Similarly, my airplay speakers from iHome have not operated cleanly like they have in the past.  They will work fine for 30-45 minutes and then the sound either stutters and then resumes or stutters and then speaker stops (as if it dropped off the network).

Overall performance and coverage is great if we can get Netgears help knocking out these occasional wifi disconnects that would be absolutely awesome. 

Message 6 of 20
TomMac
Guru

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello TomMac

Can you try to revert back to the .16 Fw and see if the dropouts are happening I am trying to find out if the Firmware is the issue or its something more. I linked the Firmware page below so you can manually revert back.

@DarrenM

Downgraded to .16 as per request... will run today and tonight and give you a better answer tomorrow as to improvement.

Tom

Message 7 of 20
TomMac
Guru

@TomMac wrote:

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello TomMac

@DarrenM

Downgraded to .16 as per request... will run today and tonight and give you a better answer tomorrow as to improvement.

Tom

Downgraded to .16

As of last night I ran the Ipad for 3 hours without a dropout.   Not sure if anything else is in the mix, but so far , so good

Message 8 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thanks Tom for testing this if anyone else is having issues with the .18 Firmware let me know so I can pass the issues to the engineers.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 20
bsholbrook
Apprentice

status on this end with .18:

• ios devices have stayed connected over the past 36 hours, will keep testing.
  • nest cameras stay connected as long as the mu-mimo and other advanced option are unchecked (tested on .16 & .18). This devices run and report issues 24X7
  • airplay speaker connections more reliable with the cts/rtf setting knocked down to 2346.  today it took the speakers 1-2 mins to settle in to a solid connection, which was a bit of a worry.
  • Satelite and router connection details are inconsistent
  • more robust mesh and client connection health details would help address lots of customers questions

Message 10 of 20
MentalBlock
Initiate

Checking the advanced options actually seemed to reduce the frequency for me, but still occurs several times an hour.  Same issue, .18 firmware on an IPad Pro (12").  It's only really apparent when using things that need constant connectivity, such as games.  Tried connectivity in vicinity of router and satellite.  Both seem to have the issue.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 11 of 20
Jako888
Star

We have the drop out issue on Ipads as well.   Running .18 on our Orbi.

What is the recommendation - drop back to .16 or is there a fix shortly?

Message 12 of 20
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jako888

You can try and go back to .16 for now many people have said this has fixed the issue or made IOS devices connect more reliable.

DarrenM

Message 13 of 20
JMU1998
Luminary

I have also gone back to.16 Firmware and it has helped with the iOS devices with random drops, the drops still occur but a lot less frequent, please do pass this on to Engineering so they can address in next Firmware release.

Message 14 of 20
Jako888
Star

Going back to .16 has improved things - although my wife just told me she had a drop out on her iPad.

Message 15 of 20
bsholbrook
Apprentice

Running .18, I've not experienced network drops since before Christmas.  What has my attention is beamfirming with nest and more stability with airplay speakers.

Message 16 of 20
Tingyunliu
Star

Just got Orbi last week. Running .34. Same problem. iPhone is dropped... is there a solution for this? Please help!
Message 17 of 20
atothek
Tutor

Same here with iPad Air 2 running iOS 10.2.1 and firmware .34.  Any update, Netgear?  Totally unacceptable that some of the most popular devices in United States don't function properly. This $500 sale may have to go back to Costco due to product defects. 

Message 18 of 20

its not a defect its a compatibility issue with apple products , its a known issue , one that the dev team is working on but no solution as of yet

Message 19 of 20
thebishop
Apprentice

I also have problems with multiple devices running latest firmware. See https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-drops-wifi-for-iPad-Pro-iPhone-7-and-Macbook-Pro/td-p/122... for the whole story.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7