Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satelitte backhaul regular dropout

jimbojames79
Apprentice

Satelitte backhaul regular dropout

Hi, 

I've noticed when gaming or transferring files my a pc linked to the satelitte that the connection drops out regulary every minute or so for about 2-3 secs

Windows doesn't notice but if my kids are playing fortnite (no judgement!)  then it tells them they have no connection. Also it becomes apparent when doing a file transfer (see attached). Its not steady at all and those dips are when it actually goes to 0 for those 2-3 seconds.

Anyone else had this?

Thanks

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Satelitte backhaul regular dropout

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
How is the satellite connected? Wired or wireless?
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 11
jimbojames79
Apprentice

What FW is currently loaded? 2.1.4.16
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris VMDG505 / TG2492LG-VM distributed
How is the satellite connected? Wired or wireless? Wireless Connection Status = Good
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? Don't know medium sized UK house
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. 33ft 1 brick wall

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 1 and 48
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 7

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Already done for previous (many) issues.

The orbi never notices the dropout nor does windows. I can visibly see the dropout when running wifi analyser software.

Thanks

James

Message 3 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you move the satellite a bit closer to the router and see.

This only is seen with the satellite? I presume if you turned off the satellite and tested directly with the router, wifi is stable?

Might try a factory reset on the satellite and set up from scratch and re-add it and test...

Message 4 of 11
jimbojames79
Apprentice

If I move it closer, the issues where the devices contantly hop from router to satelitte occur. 

There are no similar issues on devices connected to the router - xbox and Switch play fortnite fine.

How do I do a factory reset on the satelitte?

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I would test the satellite closer just for testing this configuration. Then move it back.

Press in on the reset button in back with a push pin or paper clip, hold it until the top led turns on Amber, then let go. Wait for the top led to slowly pulse WHITE, then press the sync button on the router then sync button on the satellite. Wait for the top to turn on BLUE.

Message 6 of 11
jimbojames79
Apprentice

Thanks for the advice, however its definately worse now. This is just before it timed out..wifi2.png

in my opinion a file transfer over an internal network should be steady and fast if using 5ghz. Not the case here.

Message 7 of 11
st_shaw
Master

@jimbojames79 wrote:

The orbi never notices the dropout nor does windows. I can visibly see the dropout when running wifi analyser software.

Orbi and Windows never notice it because there is not an actual "dropout."

The "dropout" you see in your WiFi analyser software does not mean the backhaul is dropping.  There was a lot of discussion about this issue on here many months ago, and there was a lot of misinformation and wasted time.

What you see is normal and simply means your scanning software missed a packet from the Orbi. This happens because your WiFi adapter and scanner can only operate on a single band and a single channel at any one time, and is rapidly scanning through all bands and channels. Occasionally it will change channels before getting a response from the Orbi backhaul.  

The backhaul SSID is hidden, and it takes special gear to reliably track hidden SSIDs.  If you buy a WiFi adapter and analyzer software that let's you lock onto a fixed WiFi channel, and lock it onto the backhaul channel,  you will see there are no dropouts. I've done this.

Message 8 of 11
jimbojames79
Apprentice

Ok seems reasonable, but why does it happen then?
Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Might be something on the PC in transit or noise on the wifi...could be a number of things...

Message 10 of 11
st_shaw
Master

@jimbojames79 wrote:
Ok seems reasonable, but why does it happen then?

It's hard to say.

To truly test the backhaul do a throughput test using iperf3. It's a great tool to measure your WiFi performance also.   You can download it from here: https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php

You run it in server mode on one machine and in client mode on a second machine.

On the server server:   ./iperf3 -s

On the client (assuming the server is 192.168.1.10):   ./iperf3 -c 192.168.1.10 -t 60 -P 8 -R

Connect the server to a LAN port on the router. Connect the client machine to a satellite LAN port. This will test the backhaul only.

The command will give you a printout every second showing the effective throughput between the machines. If there is any disconnection it will be evident in the numbers. You can run the test as long as you like by changing the -t parameter. Using -R sends data from the server to the clent.  Leaving off -R goes the oppostie direction.

After testing the backhaul, you can repeat the test with the client connected to WiFi.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7