Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite Connection Status

sdunnin68
Aspirant

Satellite Connection Status

Is there a way to determine what the connection status is between router and satellite? Devices are showing as attached to the Satellite on the Attached Devices page. Not really sure if I can tell if the placement is optimal or not. I assume it is ok becuase the Satellite LED ring is off. The Router ring slow blinks magenta but that scenario does not seem to be covered in the LED Behavior section of the manual and I don't really know what that means.

Message 1 of 15
th3w01f
Apprentice

If you watch the satellite for about a minute after reconnecting you should see the final color.  It's kind of a pain and I don't know how accurate it is.  Mine was blue, when I finally caught it.

After that you can go under Advanced -> Advanced Home -> Internet Port -> Show Statistics.  At the bottom you'll see Internet Backhaul.  Mine shows 1733 and moving it a bit hasn't changed it so again, I'm not sure how accurate it is.  The Rx and TX Bytes don't look correct for any of my radios.  After 20 hours I’m showing 7 total for b/g/b, 159 total for a/n/ac and 124 million for backhaul.

😉

Message 2 of 15
loomis1975
Luminary

The 1733 for the backhaul appears to be a "label" and not a moving statistic, just like the 400 and 866 above it for the 2.4 and 5 ghz.

Message 3 of 15
sdunnin68
Aspirant

I definately see Tx and Rx counts incrementing for the Backhaul so that must mean they are working. Connections with Satellite are strong and have good speed. Router still pulsing magenta so I don't know what that means though.

Message 4 of 15
th3w01f
Apprentice

@loomis1975, I think you're 100% correct that those are just labels, so there doesn't appear to be a way to see the quality of the backhaul connection.  Support said there was so hopefully I'm just missing it or it's coming in a new FW.

@sdunnin68, I can't find anything on that status either, and I never saw that behavior.

From the main manual - Orbi Full Manual

OrbiRouter.JPG

Message 5 of 15
loomis1975
Luminary

So, router is continually pulsing just magenta color, but you have a valid IP address from modem/isp, Internet Status says "Good" on the router's home page, and you have access to the internet?

That is definitely not what the LED rings are suppose to do.  If everything is normal, lights are OFF on both router and satellite.

Might want to open a support ticket.

From Netgear KB article:

what-do-the-leds-on-my-orbi-mean

Pulsing magenta. Your Orbi router ring LED might pulse magenta for the following reasons: the WAN port link is down, the router is unable to get the IP address from the modem or ISP, or the router is unable to connect to the Internet. 

Message 6 of 15
sdunnin68
Aspirant

Yes, internet status is good and wireless devices have access to internet. Router is in AP mode and has a static address assigned to it. That's a little different from the average configuration but certainly not out of the ordinary.

Message 7 of 15
sdunnin68
Aspirant

Have contacted support and they agree that pulsing magenta is unusual. Working with them for troubleshooting.

Message 8 of 15
Socalgas
Aspirant

I having similar problems with the satellite. It blinks amber then turns solid blue. I looked in my devices connection but it only shows my router and other devices. Except for my satellite.I live at 1500 sq ft townhouse which is three floors. Router located on first floor and sarellite on third. What's the deal?
Message 9 of 15
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello socalgas

Have you tried to move the Satellite to the second floor and see if it will connect?

DarrenM

Message 10 of 15
Jryan619
Star

This is my gripe about the RBS50 - it needs its own log in page just like the router has. Even if the router controls all its actions, it would be nice to be able to log on to it while it was live and graphically see what speeds it is pushing out, what directions, what bands, and what it is connecting to. That way you could move it around for best placement. Once the lights go off you really have no idea if the satellite is doing anything. 

Message 11 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@Jryan619 wrote:

This is my gripe about the RBS50 - it needs its own log in page just like the router has. Even if the router controls all its actions, it would be nice to be able to log on to it while it was live and graphically see what speeds it is pushing out, what directions, what bands, and what it is connecting to. That way you could move it around for best placement. Once the lights go off you really have no idea if the satellite is doing anything. 

A log in page is already there with some of the data you want. You just need to connect to the satellite IP with a web browser. 

Message 12 of 15
Jryan619
Star

Thank you very much, I guess that's why we come here! I know have three book marks set up, one to take me to the Router Log in, one for the Satellite log in, and one for my ISP's set top box / high speed modem log in.

This may sound like a silly question, but I could not find the answer on line. Do you know if there is a certain direction the router and the satellite each broadcast their web of wifi? Does it shoot out through the top, the front, the back, or in a circle? Just want to know if the front face it the Orbi needs to be aimed in one direction.
Message 13 of 15
st_shaw
Master

@Jryan619 wrote:
Thank you very much, I guess that's why we come here! I know have three book marks set up, one to take me to the Router Log in, one for the Satellite log in, and one for my ISP's set top box / high speed modem log in.

This may sound like a silly question, but I could not find the answer on line. Do you know if there is a certain direction the router and the satellite each broadcast their web of wifi? Does it shoot out through the top, the front, the back, or in a circle? Just want to know if the front face it the Orbi needs to be aimed in one direction.

Happy I could help.

Because NETGEAR doesn't tell you the Orbi needs to be oriented in a particular way, you can assume the Orbi radiates in a circle (doughnut shape.) In reality, the signal will bounce of walls, and beamforming will adjust the direction of the radiation, so orientation shouldn't matter too much.

Message 14 of 15
Jryan619
Star

I have not played with the beam settings yet. Our house is in the shape of a U. On the half that matters (where I usually hang with the 4K TV and most of the electronics) I figured I would put the router because that would be strongest. There is not as much on the other side, mostly tablets, phones, and a laptop. After logging into the satellite page I am thinking I may have it backwards. It looks like there are faster speeds comming out of satellite.
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7