Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite Connection at 2.4

Tbsteph
Star

Satellite Connection at 2.4

According to the orbil log on screen my one satellite is connected on the 2.4G channel. Why? 

FWIW, I have owned the Orbi RBR50 for over a year (Running 2.1.4.16). Never saw this with any previous firmware versions.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Satellites connect to both 2.4G and 5G radios...

Is the satellite working?

Message 2 of 8
Tbsteph
Star

Yes. But isn't the 2.4 speed less than 5G? FWIW, this is not an issue with the satellite distance from the main unit. The 2.4G connection occurs even when the satellite is right next to the router.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. However the 2.4Ghz needs to be connected as well to provide 2.4ghz wifi to those devices that don't support 5Ghz wifi.

Message 4 of 8
Tbsteph
Star

But, I thought the backhaul channel from the router to satellite was only 5G. How can the satellite broadcast a 5G signal if it is only receiving a 2.4G signal from the router?  If I sound confused, it's because I am. I do appreciate your input.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The satellite is recieving both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. There is 1 radio for 2.4Ghz and two radios for 5Ghz, the 2nd 5Ghz radio is the wireless backhaul, using the heigher 1## channels. The other 5Ghz radio is the one seen by devices using channels 36 thru 48.

Message 6 of 8
Tbsteph
Star

OK. Sounds totally logically.

The orbilogon device connection screen only shows the satellite connected at 2.4G to the router. May I assume there is a 5G connection to the satellite even though it is not shown? As originally stated, I never saw anything but a 5G connection to the satellite until the most recent firmware update. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Possible that the router is showing the 2.4Ghz connection maybe as it's connection on 2.4ghz maybe better than 5G. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7