Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite Disconnects & Daisychaining

stuartjsmith
Guide

Satellite Disconnects & Daisychaining

I have been in a lengthy discussion with Netgear support who wish to replace my orbi router and I would like opinions on whether this is worth my effort. The issue that I have been having is that one of the satellites keeps disconnecting from the router, flashing magenta for a bit, and then reconnecting - this was a problem because my work machine has an ethernet connection to this satellite and using e.g. VoIP, it would frequently drop calls.

After a bit of experimentation on my part and reading forums, I disabled daisy chaining and this has stopped happening, and the satellite is now stable. My theory on this is that the satellite was sometimes connecting to the router, and sometimes to the other satellite, and it was the switch between these two that was causing the temporary disconnect. The way that my house is set up, is downstairs there is the router and a satellite at opposite ends of the house, and the other satellite upstairs between them - they effectively make a triangle shape, and are probably all equi-distant from one another, I think in this scenario daisy-chaining does not make sense. Support have been next to useless to be honest, and their resolution, instead of answering my queries like the above one have just been to offer to replace it - is it really worth me replacing it, or is turning daisy chaining off the correct fix, and the expected setup for a house layout such as mine?

Hope this makes some sense, thanks!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: Satellite Disconnects & Daisychaining

Based on the two config examples in What is daisy chain and how does it work with my Orbi WiFi System? I'm tempted to agree with the idea to disable the daisy chain mode in your environment.

To me, it's rather confusing that consumers and non-networking pros - the common customer scope for Orbi and Orbi Pro (@johngm you agree?) - have to care about "configuring" or "specifying" the Mesh configuration and layout. In my opinion, the Mesh must be maintained fully automatic, regardless of the architecture in place being a wireless star, a wireless daisy chain, partially or fully cabled connections between router/base and satellites, or connections between satellites. And needless to say, most Mesh reconfigurations must be seamless, without disconnections or connection loss. Then it's a Mesh. As is, it's more the thing with the two ss at the end. 

Message 2 of 4
ekhalil
Master

I also agree that disabling Daisy Chain is the correct configuration for your setup, to avoid the satallite to -unnecessarly- connect via the other satellite.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

@stuartjsmith wrote:

I have been in a lengthy discussion with Netgear support who wish to replace my orbi router and I would like opinions on whether this is worth my effort. The issue that I have been having is that one of the satellites keeps disconnecting from the router, flashing magenta for a bit, and then reconnecting - this was a problem because my work machine has an ethernet connection to this satellite and using e.g. VoIP, it would frequently drop calls.

After a bit of experimentation on my part and reading forums, I disabled daisy chaining and this has stopped happening, and the satellite is now stable. My theory on this is that the satellite was sometimes connecting to the router, and sometimes to the other satellite, and it was the switch between these two that was causing the temporary disconnect. The way that my house is set up, is downstairs there is the router and a satellite at opposite ends of the house, and the other satellite upstairs between them - they effectively make a triangle shape, and are probably all equi-distant from one another, I think in this scenario daisy-chaining does not make sense. Support have been next to useless to be honest, and their resolution, instead of answering my queries like the above one have just been to offer to replace it - is it really worth me replacing it, or is turning daisy chaining off the correct fix, and the expected setup for a house layout such as mine?

Hope this makes some sense, thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7