Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite Placement? Should I use both that came with Router?

steeve725
Guide

Satellite Placement? Should I use both that came with Router?

I got my Orbi RBK33 yesterday. It came with the Orbi Router RBR40 and 2 plug in satellite RBW30 units.I set it up and it updated its firmware from version 2.0.0.56 to firmware 2.2.1.210

My home is a 2 story 2122 sq ft.

I don't know if I should use both satellites that came with the router or only 1.

Here's my setup. Router on top floor in a back bedroom. Door is always open to a hallway that overlooks living room. So the router doesn't have much interference in ways of walls getting to theone side of the house.

Satellite 1 is one the side opposite the router about 36 ft from the router on the main floor.

Satelite  2 is on the same side of the house as he router, but is also on the main floor about 45ft from Satellite 1.

Router is second floor about 19ft in a diagnol line from Satellite 2, having to go through a couple walls and floor to reach router.

Our main floor has 10ft ceilings.

With this configuration the router is in between the satellites, not directly in the middle, closer to satellite 2.

I hope I explained it ok.

Is this OK? Is it overkill? In our house, we at most only have between 18-19 devices connected. 2 are wired, 4-5 on 2.4 band, they wont accept 5, and the rest on the 5.0. My son will get on his xbox and occasionally play games online.

Even though I bought this as a set it came with 2 satellites, I hate the thought of not using one.

I left daisy-chain enabled?

Thanks.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
ekhalil
Master

I’d start with both Satellites and see if you’ll have coverage in the whole house.
Thw RBW30 Wall-plug units have smaller antennas than what’s in other Satellites, also those Satellites don’t offer much flexibility regarding the location to place them in the house since they must be plugged on a power outlet. Usually power outlets are hidden behind furniture and are located lower on the wall. This might limit the area coverage of the system.
Message 2 of 3
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Daisy chain enabled should let the system determine the best set up, but in your situation the daisy chain most probably would not be initiated. Check on the backhaul conditon on the web gui and if it is good you should be good.

I suggest download something like WiFi Analyzer. You can then check the various signal strengths at approximtely five and ten feet from the router and then satellites as your phone switches. This will give you a comparative assesment for placement.

The RBW30s should be a minimum of about 30' from the router, but if you are going through a floor and walls you may be fine with #2, though it is a bit close to the router as described. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7