Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite Placement and Adding Extender

BrooklynOrbi
Aspirant

Satellite Placement and Adding Extender

I live in a narrow but fairly deep 4 story brownstone house. My cable service and modem are in the front room on the third floor, which is where the Orbi router now lives. I did not find much success putting the satellite on a different floor (most devices seemed to connect to the router and not the satellite no matter what), and so instead I placed it on the same floor at the rear of the house. That gives decent but not perfect coverage front to back, and the signal naturally is a bit weaker as I go down to lower floors.

Does anyone have a view on whether adding another satellite to a lower floor would help (or hurt), and whether it would be better to have it at the front (a floor under the router) or rear of the house (a floor under the other satellite). Could adding another satellite, while expanding coverage, impair overall speed/performance?

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Message 2 of 5
BrooklynOrbi
Aspirant

Firmware is up to date.

Modem: ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 Modem 16x4 Docsis 3.0 

Overall square footage is around 3000 (800+ per floor)

Distance between router and satellite is around 30 feet.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can maintain 30 feet distance between router and satellit(s), adding another if you see a need in remote locations where you don't get much or very lilttle wifi signal, shouldn't be a problem. Others have posted that they have added up to 6 satellites. Kind of extreme though. Works for them. 

Message 4 of 5
DickDuke
Apprentice

You can try adding an Ethernet over powerline adapter to go to another floor. The Orbi satellite can then use that for its backhaul (connection to the router)

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/powerline/PLP2000.aspx

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7