Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite (RBS50) Firmware Update Also Updated Router (RBR50)

loremipsum
Aspirant

Satellite (RBS50) Firmware Update Also Updated Router (RBR50)

Everything appears to be working fine, but I'm puzzled by my firmware upgrade experience. Immediately after getting the system setup, I attempted to update the firmware of both units. I started with the satellite. I put my laptop in airplane mode, and wired it to one of the ethernet ports on the RBS50. The firmware number was 1.4.x and I downloaded 1.11.0.20 from Netgear. I followed these instructions, and it went well.

Next I wired my laptop to the router (RBR50). This didn't go well. I never could connect to the router. I never updated its firmware. Eventually I abandoned the effort. When I logged back into orbilogin.com the router's firmware was updated! To version 1.12.0.18! The satellite's firmware was also updated to 1.12.0.18, even though I manually updated it to 1.11.0.20 minutes before.

How did this happen?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Re: Satellite (RBS50) Firmware Update Also Updated Router (RBR50)

The units automatically update firmware with no user action required.

Message 2 of 9
loremipsum
Aspirant

They weren't updating manually though (the check and update all buttons were greyed out). Perhaps when I updated the satellite manually, it's new firmware initiated the router's automatic update. 

?

Message 3 of 9
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

My router doesnt seem to update of its own accord, it notifies me of an upgrade, but I have to physically click on it to start the process.

I normally check once a day and today it gave me the option.Smiley Happy

Capture Orbi Update Notification.JPG

Message 4 of 9
st_shaw
Master

I've had my Orbi for 9 months.  Behavior has changed with the firmware releases. Early firmware did not auto update. Later revisions updated with no user intervention. Who knows what v2.0.0.72 will do.

Message 5 of 9
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I also think there were changes made by some of the Beta releases,

So like you say it's anyones guess what will happen next.

Message 6 of 9
Dustin278
Apprentice

I have been on BETA for a couple weeks and it has been FLAWLESS so hopefully this is the same. Does anyone know what Enable Fast Roaming is? and Enable Daisy-Chain Topology?

Message 7 of 9
Tgterm
Guide

Kind of a dumb question...trying to update from 2.0.0.66 to 2.0.0.72.  Can see that the update is available, but I am unable to find the files so I can download them and apply them manually.  Anyone have a location for these files so I can do this?  Thanks!

Message 8 of 9
Tgterm
Guide

All set...did the online update...update all and now on .72.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7