Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite (RBS50) loses connection and won't reconnect reliably

SteveW25561
Initiate

Satellite (RBS50) loses connection and won't reconnect reliably

I'm quite frustrated with my Orbi system: after getting the Satellite connected (blue light, appears on the connected devices screen), the satellite will then seem to drop the connection. It will glow magenta.

Other times, the satellite does NOT show on the connected devices screen, yet wired devices to the satellite are working (eg an Ethernet only wired security camera). During these times, there is no red or blue light from the satellite so I assume it thinks it is correctly associated with the router. I stress that when this occurs, the status page shows no connected satellite, and the static IP address I've assigned to the camera isn't shown on the connected devices screen (yet I'm watching its live stream).

In fact, as I write this, the satellite is pulsing a white light, but I'm watching a live stream from the Ethernet-only camera. Again, that camera's IP isn't showing on the Attached Devices page, nor is the satellite showing as connected.

I fail test the network by unplugging it, and the modem, and the satellite almost never connects back to the router. It's located about 60 feet from the router, on the same floor, high up on top of a kitchen cabinet. There is no other place I can put it as I need the ethernet jacks, and the satellite does go blue (sometimes).

I'm on Firmware 1.9.1.12.

I'm replacing a Google WiFi which was very reliable (and that mesh worked perfectly with placement in the same spots as Orbi) -- I just wanted to see the faster speeds of the Orbi. I think I'll be returning it unless I can get this to work reliably.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Satellite (RBS50) loses connection and won't reconnect reliably

Hello SteveW255561

I sent you a PM.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 16
Heidrick
Initiate

I'd be interested in what the fix is as well.  Mine appears to be doing the same thing.

Message 3 of 16
mccx
Star

I'm a new Orbi user and am having the same issue.  I have been checking this forum and read a beta firmware would fix this issue, may I have a copy to try?  Thanks.

Message 4 of 16
SteveW25561
Initiate

I'm returning my Orbi system - it's just too unreliable for my family to tolerate: Netgear support did try and help and a beta firmware didn't solve the connectivity issue.

I wonder if my Sonos system (fairly extensive with 8 units)  is causing some sort of interference with the Orbi, but the Sonos is configured to connect to the WiFi system and not its own mesh network.  It works flawlessly with the Google Wifi I have in place (and am reverting back to).

It's a shame: when the Orbi system is fully working, I get amazing throughput of 178 Mbps!  It's just too unreliable and I don't want to run the risk of missing my return policy.  Maybe someday I'll circle back...

Message 5 of 16
coachdavis07
Aspirant

Did you ever find a solution?  I am experiencing the same problems with the latest firmware.

Message 6 of 16

I have the same issues. Even when I hard wire my PC to the satellite it still doesn't work reliably, and that's putting it nicely. It's to the point where it's unusable and I'm running out of patience. What's weird is I've had the Orbi system for months and it worked great up until a few weeks ago. I feel like they really messed something up with some of their latest firmware updates. I had disconnect issues but no where near as bad as the problems I have now.

Currently I'm waiting on beta access so I can try that. If the beta doesn't resolve these issues I'm moving on to something else.
Message 7 of 16
davidsch
Aspirant

Hi

I am having the same issues.

I have reset the router and satellite a few times now, restarted the installation. Paired satellite.

It works for a while (few minutes) then I can't always see the satellite in connected devices and I can't log into it when I do see it. Devices attached to satellite and it's wifi signal and internet stop working. Have tried in AP and router modes. Have moved satellite closer and further with no difference. Had tech support on the line for an hour. Very frustrating.

Can't believe how this experience is turning out. Is this issue fixable with new hardware or is it an Orbi error??

Message 8 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Davidsch

Can you send me a Pm with your case number from when you contacted support I want to have your issues looked at.

DarrenM

Message 9 of 16
Tlg8r
Aspirant

My satellite is doing the same thing and just keeps pulsing white.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 16
Tlg8r
Aspirant

My satellite is doing the same thing and just keeps pulsing white.  Please send me the help info.  Thanks!

Message 11 of 16
krishnaswami
Aspirant

I am having similar issues,  I have two satelliotes.  When I sync them, the satellite just keeps flashing white.

All my connected devices (iPhones, iPads) keep losing internet connectivity.  This just started happening 2 days ago.,  I have been trying to reset and re-pair all the connections but to no avail.  Can you help?

Message 12 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Krishnaswami

Does the router have the same firmware version as the satellites?

DarrenM

Message 13 of 16
pagabv
Aspirant

I'm have extactly the same problem, using firmware v2.1.2.18, it works for a little while, then satellite just stops, it seems that devices failover; contect to the router (it's in AP mode), but this has very weak wifi signal. The status info given in the UI is very poor and I haven't found any usefully log information. I've very disappoint with these units. I've reset them numrous time. 

If I go to the firmware download page, it shows v2.0.1.4 as the current version and v2.1.2.18 as previous version, HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?  Capture.PNG

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 14 of 16
Roamabout
Luminary

@pagabvwrote:

I'm have extactly the same problem, using firmware v2.1.2.18, it works for a little while, then satellite just stops, it seems that devices failover; contect to the router (it's in AP mode), but this has very weak wifi signal. The status info given in the UI is very poor and I haven't found any usefully log information. I've very disappoint with these units. I've reset them numrous time. 

If I go to the firmware download page, it shows v2.0.1.4 as the current version and v2.1.2.18 as previous version, HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE?  Capture.PNG

Firmware 2.1.2.18 was put on hold due to the issues that people were reporting. Full story here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-MR-2-1-issues/td-p/1506307

Message 15 of 16
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello pagabv

What Roamabout is saying is correct you are able to revert back to 2.0.1.4 if that firmware is more stable for your system than 2.1 I suggest going back if not you can continue to use 2.1.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7