Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite RBS750 Can't hard wire ethernet from Satellite to my MacBook for faster zooms

Startribe
Follower

Satellite RBS750 Can't hard wire ethernet from Satellite to my MacBook for faster zooms

I have a Orbi Model RBS750 satellite unit. I want to use an ethernet cable to plug my computer directly into this satellite to get better quality on zoom calls.

There are two plug ports on the back, under a single bar labelled ethernet. Neither works when plugging into my computer.

Is the Orbi Model RBS750 even supposed to work to be able to plug a computer directly, or is it just designed to beplugged into other satellites and a modem?

I cant find ANY troubleshooting help for this anywhere on the internet.

It seems like the most simple thing - plug the extender into the computer with a hard wire. But there is no help on this.

I was on the phone with Apple for an hour running me through everything they thought may be wrong on the computer side. No dice.

Can anyone help me get my Orbi Model RBS750 Satellite to work by connecting it with an ethernet direct to my computer?

There are really no other buttons I can push on the unit. Ive done all the obvious things like unplugging, replugging, etc.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Satellite RBS750 Can't hard wire ethernet from Satellite to my MacBook for faster zooms

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

You can connect ethernet devices to the back of RBS. Ensure the cable is of good quality. Try a different wired device to compare. 

Possible the RBS is faulty if other wired devices don't connect. 

Thank you.

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Satellite RBS750 Can't hard wire ethernet from Satellite to my MacBook for faster zooms

@Startribe wrote:

I have a Orbi Model RBS750 satellite unit. I want to use an ethernet cable to plug my computer directly into this satellite to get better quality on zoom calls.

There are two plug ports on the back, under a single bar labelled ethernet. Neither works when plugging into my computer.

Is the Orbi Model RBS750 even supposed to work to be able to plug a computer directly, or is it just designed to beplugged into other satellites and a modem?

It seems like the most simple thing - plug the extender into the computer with a hard wire. But there is no help on this.

Yes, any device with an ethernet port can be connected to the Orbi RBS750 satellite and should work.

The assumption is that this RBS750 satellite is part of an Orbi WiFi system.

Does this satellite appear to working correctly?  i.e.

• does it appear on the Orbi "app" as connected to the Orbi router or on the Orbi web interface Attached Devices display as having a "Good" connection to the router?
  • Do either of these management systems show any devices connected to the satellite?

The obvious troubleshooting steps include:

• Connect something else to the Orbi satellite.
  • Try a different ethernet cable and try both ports on the satellite.
  • Connect the computer to the Orbi router rather than the satellite.
  • Since the computer (obviously) has an etherent port, connect the computer directly to the modem (temporarily unplug the Orbi router to do this).

If none of these steps result in the computer getting an internet connection, then the problem appears to be with the computer.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@Startribe wrote:

I cant find ANY troubleshooting help for this anywhere on the internet.

I was on the phone with Apple for an hour running me through everything they thought may be wrong on the computer side. No dice.

Can anyone help me get my Orbi Model RBS750 Satellite to work by connecting it with an ethernet direct to my computer?

There are really no other buttons I can push on the unit. Ive done all the obvious things like unplugging, replugging, etc.

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7