Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite/Router Connection Algorithm

fmalloy
Luminary

Satellite/Router Connection Algorithm

How does Orbi assign WI-Fi clients to satelites/router?

I have 2 satellites (downstairs) and a router (upstairs). My smartphone is quite close to Satellite 2, yet it's connected to the router upstairs, further away. I get Good connection status for both satellites. I'm guessing that physical proximity isn't the consideration...?

Should I care?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance is a factor. Be aware that Orbi doesn't tell devices where to connect. It helps them get connected, however it's the device themselves that pick and choose which signal source and frequency to connect too based on there design, noise, signal quality and strength and environment. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Distance is a factor. Be aware that Orbi doesn't tell devices where to connect. It helps them get connected, however it's the device themselves that pick and choose which signal source and frequency to connect too based on there design, noise, signal quality and strength and environment. 

Message 2 of 11
fmalloy
Luminary

Thank you! A very clear answer - makes sense.

Message 3 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

Is "Fast Roaming" enabled on the Orbi Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings?

Message 4 of 11
fmalloy
Luminary

I do not have Fast Roaming enabled (I left the default). Should I?

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

FR is someting that you need to test to see if it's needed or not and if it works well for your wireless mobile devices that if your walking around you home alot with your mobile device, does it help or not. This feature is for when your moving around like if your on a phone call or video conference walking around. Not needed for stationary devices. 

Message 6 of 11
fmalloy
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

FR is someting that you need to test to see if it's needed or not and if it works well for your wireless mobile devices that if your walking around you home alot with your mobile device, does it help or not. This feature is for when your moving around like if your on a phone call or video conference walking around. Not needed for stationary devices. 

My biggest concern is stability. I just came from a Nighthawk R7000 that was absolutely horrible. Constant random wi-fi disconnects and reboots. Orbi came recommended and I'm holding my breath it will be reliable. Even afraid to upgrade firmware.

Message 7 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@fmalloy wrote:

I do not have Fast Roaming enabled (I left the default). Should I?

"Should" is beyond me.  I have experimented with my smartphone and tablet.  With "Fast Roaming" enabled, I opened the Orbi web interfaced Attached Devices page on the phone/tablet and confirmed that they were connected to the router (that I was standing near).  Walked downstairs to the satellite, and within less than 2 minutes, the Attached Devices display said I was connected to the satellite.  Went back to the router, and my device became connected to the router.

I have no idea what would have happened if "Fast Roaming" was not checked, but this is a pretty simple experiment.  Try it without Fast Roaming and then with Fast Roaming.

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

I know. The R7000 isn't the same as Orbi. Stability is way better than the R7000. Orbi is newer and newer hardware as well. Different and faster CPU and wifi abilities than the R7000. 

Message 9 of 11
fmalloy
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I know. The R7000 isn't the same as Orbi. Stability is way better than the R7000. Orbi is newer and newer hardware as well. Different and faster CPU and wifi abilities than the R7000. 

Good to know. I have high hopes...

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted on how it goes. Don't worry or over think it. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7