Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Satellite WiFi no longer works after firmware update to 2.7.4.24

Krieger0311
Follower

Satellite WiFi no longer works after firmware update to 2.7.4.24

I have a single router/satellite combo. My RBR50 and RBS50 updated automatically about a week ago to 2.7.4.24 and ever since my satellite's wifi stopped working after working flawlessly for the last 4 years- I changed nothing at all aside from the firmware.

My satellite has several devices plugged in directly and the Ethernet works fine from it. Any devices using the wifi from it can connect, but are connected without internet. I have tried messing with several settings in the advanced wifi (disabling/enabling bean forming, mimu, daiychaining, etc) but nothing worked so reverted it all back to what was working prior to the firmware upgrade.

Any advice for what to check is appreciated. I'm likely just going to factory reset but it certainly seems like something happened with the firmware considering that is the only thing that changed- so maybe I should just try reinstalling the firmware on the satellite first?

I posted this on other forums and it seems this may be a widespread issue with the firmware update that hasn't been noticed by Netgear yet.
Message 1 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Satellite WiFi no longer works after firmware update to 2.7.4.24

Hi Krieger0311,

Welcome to the NETGEAR Community!!

I understand that you are not able to get your RBRS50 working due to the update. Resetting your satellite close to your router has worked for some users experiencing this issue. 

Please bring the RBS50 close to your RBR50 then reset your RBS50. 

For more information about factory reset please navigate to the link below:

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Best,
Kevin
Community Team

Message 2 of 12
garyhoooper
Guide

I also found that some devices stopped connecting to the internet even though they were connected to the local network.  Not sure whether it was the same satellite firmware.

Downgrading/reverting to 2.7.3.22 seemed to solve the problem; two satellites are still 2.7.4.24, so far.

Router 2.7.4.24 clearly has some problems.

Message 3 of 12
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello garyhooper,

I understand that you are having issues with your RBR50 on firmware version 2.7.4.24. Can you elaborate on the end user devices that are having disconnection issues with the most recent firware?

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 4 of 12
garyhoooper
Guide

Several devices connected to the local network, but could not access the internet. These included at least an iPhone, Flume, Tesla Powerwall. Rebooting and resetting the devices made no difference.

As soon as I downgraded the router firmware, they all instantly were able to access the internet.

Message 5 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

These devices were connected to the primary WiFi network? (not the Guest network?)

Message 6 of 12
garyhoooper
Guide

Correct.
Message 7 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Our iPad and iPhone have no issues with v2.7.4.24. Have no Powerwall and am GaGa over the Flume water usage meter.  What a kick!

By chance is this Orbi administered primarily using the web interface or the Orbi 'app'?

Were there any devices that did successfully connect to that satellite with the new firmware?

Message 8 of 12
garyhoooper
Guide

Again all devices appeared to connect successfully to the Orbi.  It's just that some could not access the broader internet.  I only tested six: iPhone, iPad, iMac could all access the internet;  iPhone, Flume, Powerwall could not.

I was scratching my head until the second iPhone failed even though the first succeeded.

Hence the downgrade, administered via the web app. Instantly the problem was resolved.

Message 9 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the thorough explanation.  Pretty clear that the Powerwall and Flume cannot be relocated.  That iPhone that failed, did have internet access when connected to a different satellite or the base router?  It was only when connected to that one satellite that it had no internet?

Message 10 of 12
garyhoooper
Guide

Unclear about the failing iPhone. However, I believe that the working iMac and failing Flume and Powerwall were connected to the same satellite.
Message 11 of 12
Sandor866
Aspirant

Ran into the same issue. I had to set all my satellites and router back to the previous firmware. While using 2.7.4.24 I lost connection to my add-on satellite and multiple TVs that use to work no longer worked. After reverting back to the older firmware everything started working again.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7