Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite connected to 2.4 Ghz, not 5 Ghz?

mickiii
Tutor

Satellite connected to 2.4 Ghz, not 5 Ghz?

Just set my system up, updated to latest firmware, but now downgraded to see if that solved anything. Currently I am on 1.11.0.20.

When connecting to the satellite, I get the picture below showing 2.4 Ghz communication between the router and satellite instead of 5Ghz. Is that correct? Speeds are much slower connecting to the satellite compared to the main-router. Btw, they are within 3 meters of each other, nothing blocking them, but still the same issue. Please help?

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 23.41.00.png

Message 1 of 29
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mickiii

Is the satellite on the same firmware? you may want to factory reset the satellite and resync it.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 29
mickiii
Tutor

I have now tried to update and reset the devices, but the issue remains. The communication between the main and the satellite jumps to 2.4 Ghz only after a while. Any other suggestions? Is this a know error?

Message 3 of 29
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello mickiii

The Backhaul is only 5ghz so that shouldn't be the issue how much slower is the connection?

DarrenM

Message 4 of 29
mickiii
Tutor

I just did a test, getting 300Mbps (my connection is 300Mbps), so full speed. I then checked the satellite "page" in the browser, and sure enough, it had all parts of the image in blue. I then ran it a minute later, and then it maxed out at 170 Mbps. I then checked the page again, and now it is greyed out between the router and the satelite on the 5 Ghz band again. It is as if once it is "maxed" it turns "something" off, throttling the communication between the routers?

Message 5 of 29
Mgomez85
Apprentice

That pic u see of the satellite unit is not your connection to the main unit but connection to your clients! I was also thrown off by that at first until I notice what it means, all that tell you right now that all your clients connected to your sat unit is in your 5G connection once a device switches to 2.4 it will show you that a 2.4 connection is established. Hope this helps
Message 6 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@DarrenM, you said:
"Is the satellite on the same firmware? you may want to factory reset the satellite and resync it."

...but you follow-on reply contradicts that statement.

I think a good FAQ would be helpful.

I will add that mine had been rock solid until today (3+ weeks) until I (ill)decided to make a seemingly small change and make one, single device have a dedicated IP (via Advanced->Setup-LAN Setup->Address Reservation) and everything went downhill from there. Router went into "reset" (really for a name and MAC?), Satelites stopped responding...the interminable list of the things you must see on this board happened.

What I learned:
- If you want to make a change - I would say to the router but have no idea of the sync workflow - turn OFF you satellites first! Given the primary source of record reboots (and takes an inordinate amount of time) I can see the collapse in the flow - meaning bug in your software/firmware - when trying to coordinate that among the satellites. The worst part is you are locked out of any sort of status while all of them are attempting to coordinate.

My advice for making changes "all up": WAIT
The process it horribly long and you have will have zero indication of success (until you simply turn off your satellites and let them do their 3+ minute sync).

On the "GUI", again maybe the satellites say they are talking to the router, maybe it is the connected devises...point is no one knows so your forum gets flooded with questions that DEV/Engineering should already have in their release notes... Tell folks "A means 'this'" and 50% of the forums questions are answered. Don't let the community tell you how your platform works (GUI, information, etc.) it only means you have too few resources, bad test-harness or not are sure...

Take down the "it works", create an FAQ...deal with the real issues of folks complaining when you do that whole v2 HW dance.
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 7 of 29
namirkhan
Aspirant

Where did that screenshot come from?

Message 8 of 29
Mgomez85
Apprentice

Type the IP address for your sat you, you can find the ip from your main router dhcp list, it will ask you for user name and password, use the same login info for your router you will be greeted with a that page, not much info on the sat unit btw but I wish we had a option to restart the sat unit from that page! 😩😑
Message 9 of 29
namirkhan
Aspirant

Got it! Thanks!

Message 10 of 29
gideon99
Tutor

My satellite keeps dropping down to 2.4 Ghz too.  I have gone as far as sticking a pin in the reset button hole to see if a hard reset would help it.  I'm thoroughly confused because I thought the wireless backhaul would always be on the dedicated 5 Ghz band.  Here's a screenshot from my router (installed latest FW V2.0.0.54):

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 12.36.00 PM.pngCan someone from Netgear please explain what is going on here?  If I disconnect the power, via plug or power button, it does go back to 5 Ghz but it seems to always drop down to 2.4 Ghz.  

Message 11 of 29
mczerwon
Aspirant

Hi All, I´ve exact the same problem here:

Hardwareversion: RBW30
    Firmwareversion: V2.0.0.34_1.0.21

I´m also interessted to know what is going on here.

Message 12 of 29
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Try this

To see if problem on firmware upgrade from v1.12 to v2.0

1. Factory reset Orbi Satellites
  2. If it’s a bundle Satellite, it will back, re-sync automatically.
  3. Wait for 10 minutes to see if satellite drop to 2.4G
  1. Visit Router’s ADVANCED Advanced Setup -Wireless Settings  unchecked “Enable Daisy-Chain Topology”
  2. After change, whole network will reboot.
  3. Wait for network reboot complete, monitoring for 30 minutes to see if satellite backhaul dropped from 5G to 2.4G.

DarrenM

Message 13 of 29
gideon99
Tutor

Hi DarrenM,

Thanks for the follow-up.  I needed to get my home wifi network up and running very solid very quickly (I work from home) so I ended up going with a different wi-fi solution.  I really liked Orbi and would recommend it but I don't think it meets my requirements and use cases.  I think with my requirements and environmental challenges I really need a wi-fi system with a wired backhaul.  I know that ethernet backhaul is on Orbi's roadmap but I can't wait and I couldn't justify the cost (especially when I do have ethernet pulled to every room already). 

Also, I didn't have my Orbi set to daisy-chain topology.  

- gideon99

Message 14 of 29
mickiii
Tutor

Still seeing the same issue Smiley Sad - I have tried both resetting the satellite, as well as disabling the daisy chain setting. I am on firmware 2.0.0.74. 

When I first reported this issue, I was told that base and sat could not have a 2.4GHz backhaul, but it seems that you at least ackknowledge my problem now. Quote from earlier reply from Netgear support: "The Backhaul is only 5ghz so that shouldn't be the issue how much slower is the connection?" Smiley Frustrated

Please fix this as soon as possible! It is one of the main features of the Orbi system to have a 5GHz dedicated backhaul. Oh and again, the base and sat is within 5 meters of eachother with nothing blocking them.

Message 15 of 29
Amoham3
Aspirant

I have the same issue using v2.0.074 satellite was dropping to 2.4ghz and connections through satellite slowed throuhput. Satellite wasn't too far from the router. Positioned the satellite closer to the router and now its on 5ghz. I thought orbi only has a 5ghz backhaul
Message 16 of 29
dagdag
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  Is there a solution?

Message 17 of 29
vtrusty
Star

ditto, same issue. what's going on here. any fix?

Message 18 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, the fix is to move the sat closer to the router.

Message 19 of 29
vtrusty
Star

i honestly can't tell if that was sarcasim or an honest fix haha. out of the box my Orbi was capable and had no issues with the 5ghz backhaul, my sat has been in the same spot, the only change is the firmware.

i only have a 2 level house, the sat is nearly directly above the router. whomp whomp

Message 20 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@vtrusty wrote:

i honestly can't tell if that was sarcasim or an honest fix haha. out of the box my Orbi was capable and had no issues with the 5ghz backhaul, my sat has been in the same spot, the only change is the firmware.

i only have a 2 level house, the sat is nearly directly above the router. whomp whomp

Not sarcasm.  The range started decreasing a lot starting with the 2.0.x releases.  Previously, my sats worked for 6 months at distances of up to 60 feet, but now it's down to less than 30.  No changes in the wireless environment.  If the magenta flashes, you need to move them closer.

Message 21 of 29
vtrusty
Star

that might be the catch, i never see the magenta flash. ever. white upon boot and then blue.

Message 22 of 29
Joechang
Apprentice

@Mgomez85

I am also suffering what @Havok_ was.

pls refer:https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-tell-signal-strength-between-router-and-satellite-other...

below photo which explain the mechanism of Orbi. between Router and Satellite a special dedicated 5.0GHz(Quad Stream lets name this 5GHz as 5GHz-D for better clarification) is used for backhaul. Compare with Ex7300/6150 its totally different design. Ex7300 use same 2.4GHz and 5GHz to receive signal from router and amplify it.

1.png

thats what i am so confused. Why my Orbi satellite still receive 2.5GHz and 5GHz from Router, not using 5GHz-D as connection between Router and Satellite.2.PNG

After checking the HTMLcode, I think what i said was right, there must be some problem with the satellite signal page design or Orbi cheat customer? There shows no 5GHz-D backhaul for connection between Router and Satellite. Satellite still use traditional 2.5GHz and 5GHz for R&T3.PNG 

could anyone from Netgear officially reply this question. thanks

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 23 of 29
Joechang
Apprentice

Bought Orbi RBK53 bacause they advitised that using special 5G as backhaul but now seems its tricky game. Face same problem and checked Orbi Satellite work in the same way like ex7300/ex6150 serial wifi repeater. It does not worth the money.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 24 of 29
Riaandj
Aspirant

Same issue here and moving it closer to the base station appears to make zero difference.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 16 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7