Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite connectivity

JohnnyRedd
Aspirant

Satellite connectivity

I had an RBK20 and 3 satellites. I wanted to add MyCloud so I upgraded to an RBK40. I could use the new satellite on the front side of the house.

Nothing was moved during the upgrade and I even put the new satellite in just to make sure it all worked. Originally the fitness room had a satellite and the garage daisy chained off of it. Now the garage will not connect at all. Is there a way to force them to daisy chain? I moved them closer and they still do not pair - the garage unit goes straight to the router and shows weak signal.

I cannot remember what I did originally to get this to work.

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Be certain that "Daisy Chain" is checked on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings.  My understanding is that Orib's ship with Daisy Chain "on" as the default.  Better to check and be sure.

How about (a) remove the new satellite (power it off and then the Orbi web interface Attached Devices page will show an option to delete it.)

(b) Move the garage satellite close to the satellite you want it to Daisy Chain from, then do the "Add a satellite" procedure.

Appologize if this is what you already did.

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

@JohnnyRedd wrote:

I had an RBK20 and 3 satellites. I wanted to add MyCloud so I upgraded to an RBK40. I could use the new satellite on the front side of the house.

Nothing was moved during the upgrade and I even put the new satellite in just to make sure it all worked. Originally the fitness room had a satellite and the garage daisy chained off of it. Now the garage will not connect at all. Is there a way to force them to daisy chain? I moved them closer and they still do not pair - the garage unit goes straight to the router and shows weak signal.

I cannot remember what I did originally to get this to work.

Thanks

Message 3 of 8
JohnnyRedd
Aspirant

Yes, daisy chaining is checked.

I am thinking that when I started the "new" system up that my failure may have been all the satellites were plugged in (since all I did was change routers) and it saw them all. Just low signal on the garage.

If this "diagram" makes any sense. The router is in the den. Straight down the hallway is the bedroom satellite about 45 feet away. Between it and the garage is a patio. It is a diagonal (unobstructed view, actually) run from the router to the fitness room of about 45 feet. It is about 30 feet to the living room satellite. I have not measured how far to the garage unit it is but probably another 30-35 feet.

Bedroom                                     Router

Garage         Fitness Room                 Living room       

It worked >great< before I jacked with it but on the app it showed the garage attached to the fitness room. Adding the fourth satellite put it on another page. (at the time it was the living room satellite) When I re-did the system the bedroom fitness room and living room are all on the first page and the garage is now on the separate page. I assumed that happened because the connected well. 

I think today I am going to delete all satellites except the fitness room. Then add the garage since the bedroom and living room are easy enough to attach.

Thanks, all and any ideas on how to "force" daisy chaining are appreciated!

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Please return after the experiment and describe "how it went."

Message 5 of 8
JohnnyRedd
Aspirant

This is inexplicably stupid. On the 20 the fitness room was Good as was the garage daisy chained off the fitness rooom. On the 40 both are in the same place but it is poor. I move the fitness room 10 feet closer but put a wall between it and the router and it is now good. The garage was poor but was connected to the master bedroom which is through two brick walls and a patio. I love it to the next closest receptacle and the garage connects to the fitness room but it is poor. I move the garage into the laundry room (move it 15 feet) where it is literally 15 feet from the fitness room satellite. It connects to the Living Room which is completely on the other side of the house but the signal is good.

I have never seen anything this random and inefficient.

Message 6 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

How long are you waiting to observe whether the Orbi settles down its arrangement and connectivity?  Normally you should just let things be and trust that Orbi's topology will auto-adjust appropriately.  For most customers, who are not as tech savvy as people in this forum, this is all they do.

How are you measuring the connectivity strength and whether speeds are good or not?  If your actual phone/tv/mobile devices are performing and have wireless connectivity after a reasonable period of time (e.g., at least an hour or two) then perhaps things are good?  I would not trust the Orbi's own speed test or even on a small, battery-power phone device so I prefer to use a laptop with speedtest.net in a browser or app.  I used to use fast.com (netflix) but then noticed it sometimes produced drastically higher numbers than speedtest that did not seem correct.  I also run my iPhone's speedtest app because my iPhone 11 Pro is the only wifi 6 device I have.

Message 7 of 8
JohnnyRedd
Aspirant

I am giving it an hour or so and am using the Orbi app, well actually the web sign in because it's what the manufacturer provides and gives signal strength readings (back haul ratings) and shows what each satellite is attached to. The speed test becomes inconsequential if everything is nice and green.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7