Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite disconnecting

Satellite disconnecting

Hello Orbi experts

I have an almost new Orbi RBR50 and satellite set up at home.

Problem: My Orbi satellite drops connection to the Orbi router intermittently. This has only recently started (there hasn't been any new wifi connected items since installing Orbi).

Observations: Without apparent cause, the satellite leds start to flash white quite fast, then flash white slower, then solid purple and then off as the satellite reconnects back to the router. This causes my iOS devices to lose internet connection until the satellite has reconnected, which can take around 5 mins. This occurs at random times of the day and night with little or no external influence on the satellite (i.e. multiple movie streaming etc).

Something that might be an associated isssue is that, for example, if I attempt to stream a movie on my iPad Pro, (which is located approx. 8m from the router and 8m from the satellite), the iPad tells me that I have a wifi signal, (mostly with two wifi bars but somethimes with three), but the Orbi app tells me that there is no internet and ends up either crashing or spinning until I close the app). The wifi signal strength evident on the iPad varies significantly and is often thr cause for the internet connection to be droped entirely, the connection is then lost. Even if the iPad Pro is positioned next to the satellite, it rarely shows more than two bars of wifi strength.

It might be coincidental but I have noticed that if I switch off the satellite, I get a more stable connection, even though the wifi signal strength is diminished further.

Solutions tried: I have tried moving the satellite closer to the router. When it was working and stable, it was located about 10m (direct distance) from the router. I have tried moving it to a location 8m direct distance from the router, but this has not helped. Last night at around 2:30am with the satelite located near to my iPad, the satellite disconnected and then reconnected - no one was using the internet at that time.

I have also tried rebooting the router and after reading a few threads switched 'Daisy-Chain Topology' off. This hasn't made any difference.

I have tried setting the 2.4GHz chanel to 1 (aas per other threads) but this has made no difference.

Set up and other things: The router is connected to my TP-Link ADSL modem/ router (TD-8980) via ethernet. The ADSL modem is connected to the main incoming telephone mastersocket and has wifi mode switched off. The Orbi router has the most current firmware V2.5.0.38 installed. I think the router is set up in Router mode. The ORBI portal is showing the Internet as Good and the satellite 'backhaul status' as good (at the moment). The router maintains connection to the internet and has not yet started to randomly disconnect. I do not have more than two other neighbourhood wifi networks in my vicinity (I notice a BT Hub and TalkTalk network mostly, but these have never caused any issues before Orbi arrived). I have a total of 10 devices connected, three are ethernet wired into the router, the others are via wifi. These seem to be working ok.

I have the 2.4GHz chanel set to 'Auto', and the 5Ghz is set to 'Ch36'. I am using WPA2-PSK [AES] security settings. IPv6 is disabled.

I live in a fairly modern, medium sized four bed house that has internal walls made of drylining and timber stud.

Help and solutions?: What can I do to get a more stable wifi mesh network as at the moment, as I don't think the Orbi system has improved wifi across the house.

Many thanks

Chris

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions

VAJim, I don't think it is the firmware in this case. I installed v2.3.5.30, replacing the newer version that you site as problematic and the issue of the satellite disconnecting, reconnecting or just being static in a sort of limbo happened with v2.3.5.30 which I understand from others is more stable.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 29

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

For starters I would do a search here on V2.5.0.38 

Lots of complaints  

How did you get the firmware version?

Message 2 of 29

Thank you for responding. I updated the firmware through the Orbi app I think.
Message 3 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? I and others are having good operation on v38:https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1818889/hi...

Solid operation...

Only one known confirmed issue with device naming which NG is aware of. 

@chickenlegs99 wrote:

Hello Orbi experts

I have an almost new Orbi RBR50 and satellite set up at home.

Problem: My Orbi satellite drops connection to the Orbi router intermittently. This has only recently started (there hasn't been any new wifi connected items since installing Orbi).

Observations: Without apparent cause, the satellite leds start to flash white quite fast, then flash white slower, then solid purple and then off as the satellite reconnects back to the router. This causes my iOS devices to lose internet connection until the satellite has reconnected, which can take around 5 mins. This occurs at random times of the day and night with little or no external influence on the satellite (i.e. multiple movie streaming etc).

Something that might be an associated isssue is that, for example, if I attempt to stream a movie on my iPad Pro, (which is located approx. 8m from the router and 8m from the satellite), the iPad tells me that I have a wifi signal, (mostly with two wifi bars but somethimes with three), but the Orbi app tells me that there is no internet and ends up either crashing or spinning until I close the app). The wifi signal strength evident on the iPad varies significantly and is often thr cause for the internet connection to be droped entirely, the connection is then lost. Even if the iPad Pro is positioned next to the satellite, it rarely shows more than two bars of wifi strength.

It might be coincidental but I have noticed that if I switch off the satellite, I get a more stable connection, even though the wifi signal strength is diminished further.

Solutions tried: I have tried moving the satellite closer to the router. When it was working and stable, it was located about 10m (direct distance) from the router. I have tried moving it to a location 8m direct distance from the router, but this has not helped. Last night at around 2:30am with the satelite located near to my iPad, the satellite disconnected and then reconnected - no one was using the internet at that time.

I have also tried rebooting the router and after reading a few threads switched 'Daisy-Chain Topology' off. This hasn't made any difference.

I have tried setting the 2.4GHz chanel to 1 (aas per other threads) but this has made no difference.

Set up and other things: The router is connected to my TP-Link ADSL modem/ router (TD-8980) via ethernet. The ADSL modem is connected to the main incoming telephone mastersocket and has wifi mode switched off. The Orbi router has the most current firmware V2.5.0.38 installed. I think the router is set up in Router mode. The ORBI portal is showing the Internet as Good and the satellite 'backhaul status' as good (at the moment). The router maintains connection to the internet and has not yet started to randomly disconnect. I do not have more than two other neighbourhood wifi networks in my vicinity (I notice a BT Hub and TalkTalk network mostly, but these have never caused any issues before Orbi arrived). I have a total of 10 devices connected, three are ethernet wired into the router, the others are via wifi. These seem to be working ok.

I have the 2.4GHz chanel set to 'Auto', and the 5Ghz is set to 'Ch36'. I am using WPA2-PSK [AES] security settings. IPv6 is disabled.

I live in a fairly modern, medium sized four bed house that has internal walls made of drylining and timber stud.

Help and solutions?: What can I do to get a more stable wifi mesh network as at the moment, as I don't think the Orbi system has improved wifi across the house.

Many thanks

Chris

Message 4 of 29
Gregron
Star

@chickenlegs99 

This new firmware v2.5.0.38 is atrocious,

I was having the same issues and worse. Anyway after a factory reset and no improvement in connection I downgraded directly to the last firmware v2.3.5.30 (first the satellite then the router.) 

Anyway here's a direct link to the last good Firmware from July, you can downgrade to it directly https://kb.netgear.com/000061080/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-5-30 

I found it by just going to the Orbi Download page and clicking view previous verions. I was able to downgrade directly to v2.3.5.30without doing some two step downgrade like it says to do to go from v2.2.1.212 to v2.3.0.32

Message 5 of 29

Thank you for your response. Downgrading the firmware sounds attractive, but the problem is that the satelite is so unstable that the manual firmware update fails as the satelite drops off the network. I also get the following error message when trying to install the firmware file: "Safari can't open the page .....because the server unexpectedly fropped the connection. ...Wait a few minutes and try again." I will keep trying.

Chris

Message 6 of 29

Hold the bus! It has finally managed to connect correclty and the firmware 'downgrade' has happened. Iwill see how that gets on.

Can you tell me if you did anything else once you'd done the firmware change? Did you do a reset or anything else? 

Message 7 of 29
Gregron
Star

Congrats! Glad it worked I hope everything is fixed. Anyway after the downgrade I just restored my config file I had backed up. Didn’t do anything special. Everything just worked again.
Message 8 of 29
JOHNMMALONEY138
Aspirant

Re: UNABLE TO LOG INTO MY ORBI

UNABLE TO LOG INTO TO MY ORBI WITH USER NAME : ADMIN AND DEFAULT PASSWORD FROM ORBI ROUTER.  ANY HELP

TRIED FORGOT PASSWORD BUT SCREEN GOES BACK TO ORIGINAL LOG IN .  CAN'T MANAGE ORBI SETTINGS.

Message 9 of 29
Gregron
Star

Re: UNABLE TO LOG INTO MY ORBI

Uh this isn’t the thread for that and I don’t know why you are typing in all caps but I am pretty sure if you factory reset the Orbi by putting a paper clip in the reset button hole in the back it will reset it to fresh out of the box status to set it up again.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4
Message 10 of 29

Hello FURRYe38. Huge thanks for taking the trouble to reply and provide such a comprehensive response. Having read a few of your replies to other similar threads I thought I had covered aspects that you usually ask! A few answers to your points:

1. "Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode.." - I checked again this morning and the modem is set to modem only mode. It has a wifi button externally switched off (which I assume controls the wifi radios), and wifi is diasbled 'internally'. Also, the issue with the satellite dropping connection is a recent thing; the setup has worked really well until then, (perhaps until a firmware upgrade, I can't be sure) so it would seem unlikely to me that the issue is the TP-Link modem.
  2. "What size is your home?" - This seems to me to be a avery crude test of the suitability of a system like Orbi as the area of a property can be arranged in many diffrent ways - large footprint bungalow to five storey townhouse, either made of plasterboard or enginering brick! Our property is approx. 62sqm (670 sqft), which falls well below the limit of this system according to NG.
  3. "..distance between router and satellite" - covered in my post. They are about 10m (32 feet) apart located in diagonally opposite areas of the house.
  4. "What channels are you using?" - covered in the post. I have tried using Ch 1 for the 2.4GHz band, but it made no difference.
  5. "Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?" - covered in the post.
  6. "Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM." - I must admit I can't see how to do this.
  7. "Try disabling the following and see: Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only." - Amor is not installed, Circle and Daisy Chain are off. Can't see where Fast Roaming is set. IPv6 is not activated and can't see where the other aspects are set.
  8. "Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?" - no not tried this. I was hoping to keep this as a last resort.

Again many thanks for your response to my post. I'll keep you 'posted' and see if Netgear Support have any other suggestions as I am still within my active support period.

Chris

Message 11 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good luck with V2.5.0.38 

Message 12 of 29

Oh dear, there was so much promise. No go on the firmware version change.

Observation: The satellite now goes through a cycle of light shows starting in off mode, then flashing white, then solid magenta. This ends up disconnecting the satellite from the router.

Things tried: I have pushed the reset button with a paperclip (held it for about ten seconds) on the satellite. Hit the sync button and watched the lights change from flashing white to solid blue to solid magenta. Magenta apparently means "move the satellite closer to the router", which I've done (it's now in the same room) and run the same process. The satellite is now stuck on solid blue (which apparently means that its signal is good and it's pairing, but it does not show as connected in my Attached Devices page. I've tried adding the satellite as a new one - same result.

It could be that the satellite has just developed a fault?

Message 13 of 29
Gregron
Star

Hell maybe it is a bad unit? Usually when a pair is successful it stays blue for like 3 minutes and that means it’s good and should be ready to go in the next few. Try and sync again and if you get the blue light just wait a bit. Refresh and log back in like 15 minutes later.
Message 14 of 29
Gregron
Star

Oh and Did you make sure to downgrade the actual router too? Not just the satellite?
Message 15 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the factory reset and setup from scratch. I did this after loading up v38 manually on my system. No issues seen other than the device naming problem which NG is aware of. Others are working as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1818889/hi...

@chickenlegs99 wrote:

Oh dear, there was so much promise. No go on the firmware version change.

Observation: The satellite now goes through a cycle of light shows starting in off mode, then flashing white, then solid magenta. This ends up disconnecting the satellite from the router.

Things tried: I have pushed the reset button with a paperclip (held it for about ten seconds) on the satellite. Hit the sync button and watched the lights change from flashing white to solid blue to solid magenta. Magenta apparently means "move the satellite closer to the router", which I've done (it's now in the same room) and run the same process. The satellite is now stuck on solid blue (which apparently means that its signal is good and it's pairing, but it does not show as connected in my Attached Devices page. I've tried adding the satellite as a new one - same result.

It could be that the satellite has just developed a fault?

Message 16 of 29

Do you have a preferred method of doing a factory reset? The help pages suggest installing the system again as new one, but I'm not sure this will reset the router or satellite boxes.

Message 17 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 18 of 29

Yes, satellite first and router second as you suggested.

Interestingly, your observation that the blue led light should stay on for several minutes has turned out to be accurate with this set up. I left the satellite (located about 2m from the router) with its blue light on and after about five-six minutes that went out and the satellite was showing up on my iOS Orbi app and Orbilogin.net site as being connected. However, having left it now for about an hour, I have checked the staus of the satellite via the app which is showing the satellite as "no Connected Device Found" in the Network Map and a magenta blob next to the satellite icon. The actual satellite however has no lights showing.

Should I resort to a large and heavy hammer?

Message 19 of 29
Gregron
Star

Hammer might be needed at this point. If you are within a year net gear should replace it
Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Setting the RBS near the RBR is fine for short time setup and getting the RBS connected to the RBR. However after thats completed, the RBS needs to be power off then moved back to it's remote location. I see you had it at about 32 feet. Might try say 25-30 feet and see. 

I set the following with mine. 

Manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Disable Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@chickenlegs99 wrote:

Yes, satellite first and router second as you suggested.

Interestingly, your observation that the blue led light should stay on for several minutes has turned out to be accurate with this set up. I left the satellite (located about 2m from the router) with its blue light on and after about five-six minutes that went out and the satellite was showing up on my iOS Orbi app and Orbilogin.net site as being connected. However, having left it now for about an hour, I have checked the staus of the satellite via the app which is showing the satellite as "no Connected Device Found" in the Network Map and a magenta blob next to the satellite icon. The actual satellite however has no lights showing.

Should I resort to a large and heavy hammer?

Message 21 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

wow....all of this to fix bad firmware...??  Carry on

Message 22 of 29

An update.

I spoke to someone at Netgear support yesterday. After about an hour conversation, the advisor concluded that I had purchased the "wrong product" and, as I think some of you had suspected, the router and satellite are too close to each other and that there are network conflicts occurring that are causing the satellite to malfunction. His estimate is that a single router with no satellite should be adequate in my property, (being approx. 1400sqft), and that the satellite needs to be much further from the router in order to work effectively and not to be in conflict with the router. He sited that the router alone should be able to cover 464sqm (5000sqft), even though this is not what is advertised on the NG Orbi web pages.

When asked why it had been working up to about a week ago, that was put down to luck.

I discussed the potential for firmware to be the cause and he said that if the roll-back had not caused any problems, then I should stay on the older version and ring Netgear to ascertain whether I should upgrade at any point. Apparently, NG are aware of "some issues" that customers are having with the new firmwar, but couldn't give a time estimate for an update.

In my defence, and unless one has prior knowledge of the conflicts that can occur on a system like Orbi, I feel that the promotional information that NG put out is misleading and fails to highlight to a customer that the system totally relies on physical parameters that will, as in my case, mean that the system either works or fails. When I purchased the set up, I was foolishly working on the basis that 'more is better', little did I know that more is actually worse than useless. Unfortunately, I am out of time to return the RBR50 so I have switched off and disconnected the satellite and feel cross that I have purchased what for me was an expensive bit of kit, only to find that I am likely to put half of it in a box. I may now have to consider moving the router to a more central location, (not an easy task by any means as it will also require re-routing ethernet and making additional power outlet points), as the wifi signal is now not as strong as I would like at the opposite end of the property.

I thought you might like to know how this turned out.

Message 23 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The report from the NG(?) phone conversation sounds like a waste of time.

Your problem is V2.5.0.38   Do a search.  It's widely reported in this community.

A system with hardwire overkill (this is basically what NG told you) would not cause disconnects in a basic home setup.

Message 24 of 29
JOHNMMALONEY138
Aspirant

Thank you very much.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements