Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Satellite disconnecting

FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Ya, 1400sq ft home only needs 1 wifi source. Having two too close to each other would cause wifi singal overlap problems thus causing problems as you were seeing. Glad support helped you figure this out. If you run just the RBR, you'll be good. You can keep the RBS in the box for back up in case you might need it later on or move into something bigger. .v38 works for me and others. You'll be fine. 

Please mark your thread as solved so other will know. 

Enjoy. 

@chickenlegs99 wrote:

An update.

I spoke to someone at Netgear support yesterday. After about an hour conversation, the advisor concluded that I had purchased the "wrong product" and, as I think some of you had suspected, the router and satellite are too close to each other and that there are network conflicts occurring that are causing the satellite to malfunction. His estimate is that a single router with no satellite should be adequate in my property, (being approx. 1400sqft), and that the satellite needs to be much further from the router in order to work effectively and not to be in conflict with the router. He sited that the router alone should be able to cover 464sqm (5000sqft), even though this is not what is advertised on the NG Orbi web pages.

When asked why it had been working up to about a week ago, that was put down to luck.

I discussed the potential for firmware to be the cause and he said that if the roll-back had not caused any problems, then I should stay on the older version and ring Netgear to ascertain whether I should upgrade at any point. Apparently, NG are aware of "some issues" that customers are having with the new firmwar, but couldn't give a time estimate for an update.

In my defence, and unless one has prior knowledge of the conflicts that can occur on a system like Orbi, I feel that the promotional information that NG put out is misleading and fails to highlight to a customer that the system totally relies on physical parameters that will, as in my case, mean that the system either works or fails. When I purchased the set up, I was foolishly working on the basis that 'more is better', little did I know that more is actually worse than useless. Unfortunately, I am out of time to return the RBR50 so I have switched off and disconnected the satellite and feel cross that I have purchased what for me was an expensive bit of kit, only to find that I am likely to put half of it in a box. I may now have to consider moving the router to a more central location, (not an easy task by any means as it will also require re-routing ethernet and making additional power outlet points), as the wifi signal is now not as strong as I would like at the opposite end of the property.

I thought you might like to know how this turned out.

Message 26 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for letting us know. Ya, 1400sq ft home only needs 1 wifi source. Having two would cause problems.

It's the firmware.  What problem might be caused by having a Sat in a 1400 sq foot home?

Remember this....Problem: My Orbi satellite drops connection to the Orbi router intermittently. This has only recently started (there hasn't been any new wifi connected items since installing Orbi).

Message 27 of 29

VAJim, I don't think it is the firmware in this case. I installed v2.3.5.30, replacing the newer version that you site as problematic and the issue of the satellite disconnecting, reconnecting or just being static in a sort of limbo happened with v2.3.5.30 which I understand from others is more stable.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 28 of 29
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@chickenlegs99 wrote:

VAJim, I don't think it is the firmware in this case. I installed v2.3.5.30, replacing the newer version that you site as problematic and the issue of the satellite disconnecting, reconnecting or just being static in a sort of limbo happened with v2.3.5.30 which I understand from others is more stable.

If the Orbi has been running fine and you made no changes, then there was a firmware update....?  You tell me.

Now that you have v2.3.5.30, you may need (if you haven't already) reboot ALL.  Give it a few days.

Message 29 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7